Please help me decide on a portable DAP!!!
Aug 31, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 26
I just went round and round deciding on my 1st DAP. I use my V30 for music, but as mentioned above, I get tired of interruptions.
After watching YouTube videos, I decided on the Shanling M2s. I like the user interface the best out of all the DAPs in that price range, plus the size is perfection. I also like the case for it, and dig the wheel. I didn't want an android based one either. I'll upgrade eventually to something with a balanced output. Why don't you buy one of the two Shanling m3s available in the classifieds sub section?

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #18 of 26
do all you can to try stuff before purchasing them. find stores, perhaps fellow audiophiles in your area and offer them a beer in exchange for meeting and bringing one or 2 stuff to try. attack people with headphones on the street with a smile and the super weird request of trying their headphone for 20seconds(works better in railway stations and airports).
it doesn't matter too much what you can try, what matters is to try several pairs and to remember the models, so you can tell what you like on one, what you dislike on another etc. the more the better so that when you explain how you felt and what you liked, fellow members can hopefully get an idea about your own tastes and advise as best as they can.
using IEMs as a reference for sound is IMO not very reliable. you're unlikely to actually want the same frequency response on both IEMs and headphones for various reasons.

obviously portable headphones are probably going to be the best choice if you're going to use a DAP with it. and in case you're not aware and it's important to you, headphones do not isolate from external noises as well as a pair of se215.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 26
do all you can to try stuff before purchasing them. find stores, perhaps fellow audiophiles in your area and offer them a beer in exchange for meeting and bringing one or 2 stuff to try. attack people with headphones on the street with a smile and the super weird request of trying their headphone for 20seconds(works better in railway stations and airports).
it doesn't matter too much what you can try, what matters is to try several pairs and to remember the models, so you can tell what you like on one, what you dislike on another etc. the more the better so that when you explain how you felt and what you liked, fellow members can hopefully get an idea about your own tastes and advise as best as they can.
using IEMs as a reference for sound is IMO not very reliable. you're unlikely to actually want the same frequency response on both IEMs and headphones for various reasons.

obviously portable headphones are probably going to be the best choice if you're going to use a DAP with it. and in case you're not aware and it's important to you, headphones do not isolate from external noises as well as a pair of se215.
As an introvert, that may be an issue...
I would prefer to choose a more mainstream brand, i.e. Audio-Technica, AKG, Sennheiser, Grado, Shure, Sony, etc.
I am considering the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Sennheiser HD 559, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x or ATH-M30x, AKG K 240, or Sony MDR7506.
Would the Grado SR60Es work well with the Fiio X1? Which of these would work well with the Fiio X1? Or an alternative. I am not too concerned with leaking as will likely end up using the SE215s in public. I am more interested in comfort and sound quality: Neutral, but warm and not entirely tasteless, if you will.
I listen to pretty well everything, including some rap, and would like one that can do everything pretty well than something that will only do one great and everything else poorly.
Would any of these require an external headphone amp with the X1? I know it would be ideal to try different ones, but I do not see that happening, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 26
Hi, all,

I ended up reviving my Fiio X1 for a little longer, but now its headphone jack is malfunctioning. I also purchased a Grado SR60E, which sounds great!

Please help me decide between another Fiio X1 1st generation ($147 inclusive) or a Fiio X3 2nd generation ($267 inclusive) or another option, a Cayin N3 ($247 inclusive), or a Hiby R3 ($334.88).

Am really hoping to get some help! I was really happy with my Grado SR60E and Fiio X1 1st generation, but am wondering whether these more expensive options will improve the listening experience noticeably.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 26
Hiby R3.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 26
Space on the FiiOs, especially if you play DSD or SACD iso. The hardware just cannot keep up. I have several FiiOs and although I was happy with them at first, low-grade hardware and iffy software combined with crappy support (we know this is a problem and we will not fix it) = no more FiiO for me.

Have not tried the other ones on your list.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 26
I tried a few of the lower end Fiio's and found the SQ was appalling.

I now have a Pioneer XDP30R which I am very happy with. The implementation of the Sabre DACs isnt harsh like they can be, and with the EQ you can make it sound lovely and smooth almost like a valve amp. Screen Resolution isnt great, but they have them on offer at a dealer in the UK for £170, which for this quality of player, is a bargain...and the battery lasts for ages!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back