Please help me choose replacement for Head-Direct RE0
Nov 17, 2011 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

terhardp

New Head-Fier
After abt. a year of decent usage, my RE0 begun to fall apart - I had to glue the driver casing back together. Finally, a few days ago, the right driver stopped working completely. At first I've suspected the faulty cable - it had a suspicious spot near the right side driver. I've even cut that portion of cable and soldered the cable back on. But still nothing - it seems that the driver itself stopped working. :frowning2:

So, please help me choose the replacement. I need something with similar sound characteristic but with better build quality. I've already got a pair of Etymotic ER6i on which I had to replace the jack after abt. 8 months of use with the silver angled Neutrik - now it works great. I really like the sound of Etymotic, but Head-Direct seemed to have the precision of them + extra warmth that I've found very pleasing.

As for the replacement, I was thinking about Etymotic MC5 or HF5. I've checked their site, and it seems they've gone a long way in build quality from ER6i. But what about the sound? I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me how they sound in comparison to both ER6i and RE0 and would any of them be decent replacement for RE0?

Also, I have an option of purchasing Grado iGi or AKG K340 in a store in my home town. What about those, are they even comparable with Etymotic and Head-Direct? And finally, should I order another pair of RE0?

Thanks for your responses.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 7
I had the re0, hf2 and er4. Frankly the hf2 are very similar to the re0 is sound signature with the re0 having a bit more natural of a decay and a bit more treble extension. The er4 frankly is further away from the hf2 than the re0 are. The decay on the er4 are razor sharp and the treble more upfront.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I had the re0, hf2 and er4. Frankly the hf2 are very similar to the re0 is sound signature with the re0 having a bit more natural of a decay and a bit more treble extension. The er4 frankly is further away from the hf2 than the re0 are. The decay on the er4 are razor sharp and the treble more upfront.

I agree with everything you said regarding the HF series.  I own the RE0 and the HF3.  I really like them both but I get a much better fit with the HF3 so it is my primary IEM.  I wish there were better tips with the RE0.  The biflanges are what I use and the fit is okay.  Its good enough to get good sound from them.  I can't recommend the HF series enough, especially with the correct Shure foam tips.

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Yes, HF5 is a nice upgrade from the RE0, and it has excellent build quality -- you'll never be gluing it back together!

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 7
The RE272, HF5, CK10, EX600 willbe nice upgrade over RE0 with better built quality.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Id say look at CK10, it does everything the RE0 does, but better imho.  I also really like the Ety ER4, especially if you like the RE0.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you for your input guys; sorry I haven't responded earlier.

Judging from what I've read and your reviews, I'm very intrigued about Etymotic HF5. At the same time, I'm rethinking about purchase as their price is quite higer from the price of IEM's I've owned so far. I don't think there is a dealer of Etymotic here in Croatia, and if I order them online, I must count in the shipping and handling costs too.

BTW, I'm just looking at Ultimate Ears site and I've noticed their new UE 600 series IEM's. I don't have any experience with UE, so it would be great if someone could compare it to RE0 an ER6i. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back