Please help me choose ! can't decide for a second week already
Feb 14, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 28
it's a pitty that nobody has advised to me Matrix M-Stage ! will see if i can cancel my O2 and will buy matrix

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 28
it's a pitty that nobody has advised to me Matrix M-Stage ! will see if i can cancel my O2 and will buy matrix

i advise you buy the Matrix M-Stage. LOL

Actually if you continue to change your mind based on one persons opinion you will drive yourself crazy. And, I think you will agree you are getting close. LOL

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #18 of 28
  i advise you buy the Matrix M-Stage. LOL

Actually if you continue to change your mind based on one persons opinion you will drive yourself crazy. And, I think you will agree you are getting close. LOL

LOL ! actually I am very close indeed !

but Matrix seems much better than O2 from what I read ?  :frowning2: 

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #19 of 28
LOL ! actually I am very close indeed !

but Matrix seems much better than O2 from what I read ?  :frowning2: 

I would imagine if you read the O2 threads and what they say about the Mstage, you'll hear just as many in favor of the O2. At least that was my experience before buying the O2 several years ago.

As solid state amps that are generally similar in class, the Magni, O2, and Mstage are going to be far more similar than different in sound quality. Why else do you think people disagree over which sounds better? When people start characterizing their individual sonic qualities, that's such a personal thing that can be influence by expectation bias. The only way to know for sure which will be better is if you listen to them all, and even then, you might not find the difference significant.

So I would advocate purchasing the cheapest that has the features that you want. If you already have O2 on the way, might as well get it and listen. If you are happy with how it sounds, don't bet on a different solid state headphone amp in this price range sounding better to you.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #20 of 28
now that what i call a REPLY :) bravo!
you are right and i am finally calm and will wait for my O2
should i be ordering ODAC as well?

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 28
People have argued extensively over which is better: Modi or ODAC. That tells me they are probably pretty similar. If you don't need the small size of the ODAC, I'd say get the new Modi 2 since it's cheaper. And this comes from a previous ODAC owner who liked theirs :)

However, since you have a Xonar DG sound card, the Modi 2 Uber edition has digital USB, toslink, and coaxial connections. If you would like to use Dolby Headphone from your soundcard, you would need to connect it via optical to a DAC. A USB only DAC like the regular Modi 2 or ODAC would bypass your soundcard completely.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #23 of 28
ok, so with modi 2uber and O2 combo which headphones would you advise? Mainly listening to hip hop, electronic music, but same time guys like joe cocker, eric clapton, dire straits and etc 

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #24 of 28
All but the most difficult (and generally expensive) headphones would be fine with that combo. If you have already decided on the DT990 Pros, I'd stick with them if you like some bass emphasis. If you are afraid that they might be a bit fatiguing because of the highs, then pick headphones that are a bit warmer.

That being said, it might be best to get the Modi and O2. Then order the DT990s from somewhere you can return them and see what you think. Unless you have a point of reference--headphones that you know that you can describe what you want to improve upon them--it's hard for anyone to recommend headphones for you because people have different tastes :)

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 28
as I live in eastern europe, mostly I need to order online and to return then it back is almost a no go ! so if highs are fatiguing on dt 990 that is a deal breaker for me, as I just can't stand much of highs, it just ruins all my music enjoyment  

what about this one ?
http://www.amazon.de/Beyerdynamic-GmbH-Co-770-HiFi-Stereo-Kopfh%C3%B6rer/dp/B000F2BLTC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1423951143&sr=8-7&keywords=beyerdynamic+dt+770

or maybe you could advise few more so I'll start digging into them and make some research?

thank you so much, indeed !

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 28
Might want to start a new thread for headphone recommendations. Describe

* the equipment you'll use
* your budget
* what country you live in (since this impacts price and availability)
* what genres you listen to
* what sound signature you like
* what other (if any) headphones you have listened to and what you did or did not like about them.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #28 of 28
Done !

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755147/headphone-options-for-modi-2-uber-o2-mayflower#post_11323913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back