Please help me choose, before I go insane
Sep 5, 2011 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NoahZ

Head-Fier
Sorry to make this as its own thread, but I've had absolutely no luck getting replies on other questions in the consolidated help thread.

Here are the headphones I'm looking at, next to which I put the lowest price I can get them for:

-Grado SR80i ($100)
-Grado SR125i ($150)
-Grado SR225i ($200)
-Audio-Technica ATH AD900 ($215)
-Audio-Technica ATH M50 ($160)
-Sennheiser HD 598 ($180)
-Sennheiser HD 595 ($180)
-Ultrasone PRO 550 ($140)
-Ultrasone HFI 780 ($149)
-Denon DN HP700 ($100)

I listen to a wide variety of music, essentially everything but country and classical (maybe even a little classical). I already have a decent pair of Monster Turbines IEMS and a decent-ish pair of Sennheiser PMX 90 on-ear neck-band style headphones. I'm now looking for a pair of bigger on ears for use at home (and occasionally outside, if they're not too outlandishly large). Among the pairs above, what would my best choice (and value, since the price range is somewhat varied)? Or, is there a pair that I don't have listed that would work better for me? If you have a different suggestion, try to keep it under $230 as that's really my absolute highest price. 

I have trouble choosing, and this is making me nuts. I can maybe audition a pair of the Grados if they seem like my best choice, the others I can just buy and return if I hate them.  

Please help/offer other suggestions (and reasons, if possible). Thanks so much!

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Go for a Ultrasone (boy, broke that down)

You're already used to the Turbine which are bass heavy, so the ultrasone would be a warm welcome.

Grado are more for Rock and mostly for rock. for rock. and mostly for rock.... rock
Did I meantion they were for rock?
Anything more sounds dull through them

Senn vary but most you listed need amps. I also think you wouldn't find the build very nice.

Ultrasone 780's or ATH-M50's

They both don't need a amp

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Go for a Ultrasone (boy, broke that down)

You're already used to the Turbine which are bass heavy, so the ultrasone would be a warm welcome.

Grado are more for Rock and mostly for rock. for rock. and mostly for rock.... rock
Did I meantion they were for rock?
Anything more sounds dull through them

Senn vary but most you listed need amps. I also think you wouldn't find the build very nice.

Ultrasone 780's or ATH-M50's

They both don't need a amp

I for sure don't want anything that absolutely needs amping. I want to try to spend money on headphones and not accessories. I realize I probably can't get great quality until I'm willing to invest in an amp (is that not true/incredibly ignorant? Sorry if it is). 

Also, I do listen to a lot of rock. So I wouldn't mind that. So you recommended the 780's or the ATH-M50's, which Grado would essentially be on the same level as those? I know they're very different, but would one of the Grados I listed be different but of similar quality?

Also, definitely a no on the Denons?

Thanks so much for the speedy reply and assistance!

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I for sure don't want anything that absolutely needs amping. I want to try to spend money on headphones and not accessories. I realize I probably can't get great quality until I'm willing to invest in an amp (is that not true/incredibly ignorant? Sorry if it is). 

Also, I do listen to a lot of rock. So I wouldn't mind that. So you recommended the 780's or the ATH-M50's, which Grado would essentially be on the same level as those? I know they're very different, but would one of the Grados I listed be different but of similar quality?

Also, definitely a no on the Denons?

Thanks so much for the speedy reply and assistance!

Grado are pretty much all the same (save for differences). They just get better while you work up the scale

Denon 2000 maybe, bu anything lower I don' like

Quote:
Go for the Ultrasone HFI 580s instead.

I like the shiny over the M50's too.

They are about the same sound, OP, looks are the major difference here.

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
You could consider the Denon AH-D2000,  you can find them around 250$ new , you can use "google product search" to find best price for instance.

I'd hate to sound rude, and this may be a misunderstanding, but $250 is a bit over $230 which was my price ceiling. And when I said Denons I meant the HP700, seen on my initial list.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, the ultrasone look so cool. I'd get them partly because of their design. But you might get as well the AIAIAI TMA-1 (around 200$).
Good sound  according to reviews and very portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back