Please help me choose an amp / DAC
Jun 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mk351e

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, I was wrapping up choosing an amp, and then I discovered that there are DAC units with built in HP amps!! Woohoo!!! So, here's where I'm at. I listen to cd's, cable tv, and video games. I use my PS3 for everything. I have Denon D7000's, and love everything about them. I currently use them with a killer HT receiver (circa 1998), and think they sound fine, but I don't use speakers anymore, so I figure I'll get a HP amp in place of the receiver. I would REALLY like to get one of these all in one boxes, as I don't have much money, and would prefer to use a stand alone DAC, as opposed to the PS3's internal. And especially the cable box; that DAC stinks! I listen to rock (all types), rap, and electronic dance music. I like BIG accurate bass, smooth, detailed midrange, and smooth, effortless, airy, sparkly highs. Soundstage isn't too important to me; I kinda like the intimate soundstage I get now with my setup. But dynamic life like sound that is as close to some big megabuck speakers is what I'm after.

So, I've narrowed it down to 2 different units: the Audio GD FUN, or the Yulong DAH1 Mark (NOT mark 2!). The reason I don't want mark 2 is that mark has a remote control and an RCA input too!! A remote control!!!!! Awesome! Anywho, I'm willing to forego the convenience of the remote control if the Audio GD will actually sound better. I think it might, but who knows? Supposedly the Yulong's amp is just a Black Cube Linear clone; while the FUN's is an updated version of something good that they make (forgot what).

And then of course, there's the possibility I should just get an amp, and use the analog outs on the PS3 because they're fine. I don't know. If you KNOW then please tell (don't just bash the PS3 because it's for video games). I doubt it though.

So, what would you buy, and why? I will say this: I have no desire to buy an amp now, then an outboard DAC later. This is strictly an amp only now, or all in one now only.

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Whoa. Over 50 views and only ONE person has an opinion? Either there's a lot of lurkers around here, or this place is full of guys that are too cool for new people! Or did I post in the wrong forum?

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 6
The FUN might be a good option, Audio GD products pair well with Denons FWIR.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 6
how much am I looking to spend?? ZIP! No, seriously though, I want to be under $400 new or used, and if I go with a DAC/AMP, I gotta have Toslink AND coax; USB is worthless to me though. I'd also like to have RCA as well, but I suppose I could do without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back