Please help, I'd like to buy the best in ear headphones possible. (Ultimate Ears Pro 18?)
Feb 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

alanyuan

New Head-Fier
Hi as my title describes, I'm planning on investing in the best and final pair of in ear headphones i can possibly invest in. (i currently have the bose mie2 and QC 15s) From what i see online, and the rankings on this website, it seems that the Ultimate Ears Pro 18 fits that description. The main purpose of these headphones is for casual listening (walking to class, studying in library, working out, etc) are these the earphones i need? And how is comfort with custom in ear headphones? Can i wear them for 6 hours at a time with discomfort?
Please offer any input and suggestions.
Thanks a lot,
Alan

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 11
There are a variety of different custom in-ear earphones (IEMs), and in the top tier range there are IEMs like the UE18Pro, the Westone ES5X, the Heir Audio 8.A, the UM Merlin, JHA JH16Pro... etc etc.  They all have a different sound signature.  They'll all probably be extremely comfortable though, because they're moulded to fit your ears.  If the audiologist you employ is a good one and the manufacturer of the iem moulds it properly, it'll fit perfectly.

Keep in mind these cost upwards of $1000, and for some of them you'll need an amplifier (a decent one will probably cost > $300/400)

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks! For now i'm going to just use my iPhone 4s or Macbook pro and maybe in the future invest in an amp. 
I understand sound quality is subjective just as everything else in the world is subjective, but sometimes some things are just better than other things. From what is see its constantly a tie between the UE 18s and the JH16. Is there a reason all the performing artists these days use the UE 18s? 

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 11
I think the best thing to do is figure out what sound signature you like and then match that up with average joes custom thread.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Thanks! For now i'm going to just use my iPhone 4s or Macbook pro and maybe in the future invest in an amp. 
I understand sound quality is subjective just as everything else in the world is subjective, but sometimes some things are just better than other things. From what is see its constantly a tie between the UE 18s and the JH16. Is there a reason all the performing artists these days use the UE 18s? 

Marketing?

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Mostly because of their sound engineers and marketing.  The UE18 and pretty much designed for stage use, whereas some of the other customs are designed for audiophiles.  Your iPhone or MacBook will hardly be able to utilise any custom to its full potential.  Most of the customs I listed above are pretty much tied in technical quality (things you can hear) but the sound signature is something you have to check in to.  You have Bose... so I guess you're used to overpriced things :D and bass.  Might want to check out the UM Miracle, it's got 5 BAs and a dynamic driver for bass = probably what'll be closest to your Bose's sound signature.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 11
The prototype, W.P.U Electrostatic Hybrid As-sy003.
But in all honesty the best in-ear is the most comfortable, I love the stax sr-003 though. Too bad they're so hard to find.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

Many performing artists use the Future Sonics MG6Pro.

Here's Flea. All the Red Hot Chili Peppers have MG6Pros on their most recent tour.

John Legend and his MG6Pro:

Kelly Clarkson with hers:

There are also those who use Sensaphonics and others who use Westone customs.

Those are some of the main brands that pro musicians and pro audio engineers use in the U.S.
In England, you might find some musicians wearing ACS customs, for example.

There are many choices, you can read my reviews via the links at the end of my post. The important thing is to first know what sort of sound YOU want. People have bought $1,000 custom iems swayed by hype on the forums rather than thinking about what they want. They decided, "Well, everyone says it's so great that even if it's not the sound I want, I'm sure I'll love it." And they were wrong. That doesn't mean the custom iem wasn't very technically good, it means that the person didn't enjoy it because they bought the wrong thing for them.

People haven't been vocal about their UE18 purchases on head-fi recently, that doesn't mean it's not the best choice for you--only you can decide that. Don't go on hype, figure out what you want and enjoy it.

You're welcome to PM me if you need any help with the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back