Please help, I think I am going mad
Oct 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 32
Hmm you DO seem to have very picky ears, Either one of these three to come to my mind to suggest for you (and as i have suggested this before it will make my suggestion super cliche but here goes.. again) e-Q7, SM3, And the sturdy All-Rounded MD, At least for these 3 i hardly seem people complain about them, or never actually. Unless you have qualms even on wearing IEMs over the ears which will automatically kick SM3 out of the list, These 3 are definitely work your time to go down to your nearest possible place to give them a good audition session.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
For me, Shure SE530 is a perfect sounding IEM, but absolutely requires that you get the right fit with it. If you don't get it to fit just right - it will sound off in one way or another or even downright horrible. This was the most depressing purchase I've ever made - depressing because I only got the right fit maybe 5 times out of 200, but when I did the sound was so amazing that I was extremely frustrated and disappointed when it turned out that that kind of sound was next to impossible for me to replicate with the stock tips. You may try SE530 and some custom tips if you can afford it. I was thinking a lot of going that route, but then you also need to make sure that the custom tips are done right and if your ear canals are the wrong shape, this may not even be possible. Mine are really oddly shaped, so I am hesitating, as this may turn out to be just a waste of money for me. I also owned Westone ES3X and even though they are customs they still didn't fit my ears right unfortunately. Perhaps, you should just stick with the best IEM you've heard and stop seeking perfection. I think q-jays are really great and they are also one of my favorite IEMs. Unlike SE530 and most other IEMs, they fit really well in most people's ears because they are so small and well designed, and so may sound closer to their full potential for many people than. say, the SE530 which is downright awful when it comes to fit (IMO of course).

Thanks Pianist, I toyed with the Idea of trying the Shure se530, but the stories of the rolled of highs put me off. The qJays are very good, they have been my IEM of choice for the past 6months, they seen to suit most music styles and bring things to like. I guess its the decent Bass and clear but not fatiguing highs. They do lack somewere in the mids though. From a reccomendation I have got hold of some Ortofon eq7. These I have to say sound fantastic really top notch clarity and instrument separation. They can be a tad fatiguing compared to the Q Jays, but I think they have a more complete full sound when A,B with the Q Jays. The fatigue issue could get me though. I have some Fischer Audio DBA02 on the way so I will see how they stack up. Thanks for your input.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
westone um3x or ck10 is only universal im interested to hear now... (im happy with se530 but I want to find better one sometime)
I think ck10 is about 250usd in some sites. should give a try and let us know how you think about it!

Hi Yes I have has a lok at the CK10, but I decided to go with the Ortofon EQ7. At the moment I am quite enjoying these but have not fully made up my mind, they seem to be a bit fatiguing. It could be the really forward Mids. As I mentiioned in a previous post I ahve the Fischer Audeio DBA 02 on the way so Maybe these willl do the trick. If not them if I can get the money together then I'll give the CK10 a go.

Thanks

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #19 of 32
Yes I really liked the Phonacs, just to thin. I have been trying the Ortofons over the last day or so. A bit too early to tell but I am likeing them alott. They can be fatiguing at times though. I have a feeling it is the Forward highs. The Final Audio Design FI-BA-SB could be a happy medium. I'll take a closer look at them.

Thanks for your input.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #21 of 32
Hi,I know this isn't really addressing the headphones themselves but have you tried using a better source for the music as that can have a big impact on the sound too. iPhone don't really have a great headphone output so won't effectively drive higher end IEMs. Just a suggestion.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Hi,I know this isn't really addressing the headphones themselves but have you tried using a better source for the music as that can have a big impact on the sound too. iPhone don't really have a great headphone output so won't effectively drive higher end IEMs. Just a suggestion.

Hi Elliot, yes I have considered it, but alas I like to have a one fits all device. I know this will not get me the best sound, but it is so convenient. If I do not find IEM that suit me. I will consider a seperate player. I have heard that most of the Cowan Range are pretty good. Just one more thing, are you the Elliot from advanced mp3 players. If you are, I have received excellent customer service form you in the past, thanks alott a great company.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
I have some Fischer Audio DBA02 on the way so I will see how they stack up.

Prepare to be excited. I have listened and owned several of the IEMs you had mantioned and felt the same way.  My musical interests are also right up your alley.  I LOVE my DBAs.  I have continued to purchase other IEMs to see if I like anything more, but they continue to blow me away.  The only other IEM I really want to try now are the SM3.

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
Prepare to be excited. I have listened and owned several of the IEMs you had mantioned and felt the same way.  My musical interests are also right up your alley.  I LOVE my DBAs.  I have continued to purchase other IEMs to see if I like anything more, but they continue to blow me away.  The only other IEM I really want to try now are the SM3.

Ah, I glad I'm not the only one, I really did feel I was going mad or missing something finding faults with so Many IEM's. I was thinking that nothing would suit my needs. It's good to get some reassurance, I'm really looking forward to getting the DBA's. A|s for the SM3 that is a bit out of my price range Plus I can't seem to find them in the UK.

On the off chance, I don't suppose you have tried anything from We stone. This seems to be one of the main manufactures that I have not tried yet, I was thinking of giving the Westone 2 a try??. Anyway thanks for your input..

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
On the off chance, I don't suppose you have tried anything from We stone. This seems to be one of the main manufactures that I have not tried yet, I was thinking of giving the Westone 2 a try??. Anyway thanks for your input..

I have not had the pleasure of listening to the Westones.  From what I have ready, the only one that I think I would enjoy is the UM3x.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
Maybe you should try the UM3Xs, I use them everyday, they may not excel in any area, but they aren't bad for anything either.

Yes I have been thinking obout this. I have never used Westone. I have just brought some Westone 2 of a fellow Headfier. They should arrive tomorrow. I have herd that the 2's are not to far from the UM3X??

Cheers

Steve

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #28 of 32
hi , I have the eq7 and while i really like them and appreciate all there fine quality's i also find them quite fatiguing after a couple of hours use, i think its a combination of there very forward midrange and lean transparent bass.

I would suggest giving the SM3 a go , very easy on the ears and very detailed with nice mids and bass.They can be bought in the ENGLAND from www.handheldaudio.co.uk

Quote:
Hi Yes I have has a lok at the CK10, but I decided to go with the Ortofon EQ7. At the moment I am quite enjoying these but have not fully made up my mind, they seem to be a bit fatiguing. It could be the really forward Mids. As I mentiioned in a previous post I ahve the Fischer Audeio DBA 02 on the way so Maybe these willl do the trick. If not them if I can get the money together then I'll give the CK10 a go.

Thanks

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 32
Thanks so much for that, I have searched several times for a stockist and have never come accross handheldaudio. £299 is a bit steep for me. I'll have to sell my Ortofons, Q Jays and Fischer Audio DBA-02 to get the funds. They are all listed on the for sale thread so fingers crossed I can sell them. The Orthos were so nearly there but maybe the SM3 will be the one. Thanks again for the pointer.

Quote:
hi , I have the eq7 and while i really like them and appreciate all there fine quality's i also find them quite fatiguing after a couple of hours use, i think its a combination of there very forward midrange and lean transparent bass.

I would suggest giving the SM3 a go , very easy on the ears and very detailed with nice mids and bass.They can be bought in the ENGLAND from www.handheldaudio.co.uk

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #30 of 32

Quote:
Thanks so much for that, I have searched several times for a stockist and have never come accross handheldaudio. £299 is a bit steep for me. I'll have to sell my Ortofons, Q Jays and Fischer Audio DBA-02 to get the funds. They are all listed on the for sale thread so fingers crossed I can sell them. The Orthos were so nearly there but maybe the SM3 will be the one. Thanks again for the pointer.

No worries , hope it all works out for you.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back