Please Help? Don't Know Which Amp to Choose for the Sennheiser HD 598?
Dec 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 19
Thanks so much for the help man!  So you think it would be best to use an e10, or some type of dac/amp combo with an iphone4? 

And just to clarify...you said a DAC should be used with an iphone4 as well?

I was also looking the fiio e7, you know anything about those?

Also a quick question about something else?  

I listen to mostly soundboard recording of live concerts of a band called PHISH.  So is it a good match for live music listening kinda thats kinda jazzy yet also funky, lots of bass,guitar, and piano solos.

And for this type of music, are open or closed ear headphones better.  I hear closed ear is actually kinda bad because the sound echoes.  Would open ear be better for live music?  I don't mind the sound leakage if it is going to be better for live music, these would be for home anyway.

Thanks so much for the help.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #17 of 19
I would say yes.  However, the problem with the e10 is that it has a USB input and not a Line-In.  So if paired with an iPhone, the e7/e9 combo would be your best bet.

Here is an article on the duo from Mike over at Headfonia.

http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e9-dekstop-amplifier/

I would think think the HD 598 would be perfectly fine for that sort of music.  It doesn't have much low bass (so I've been told), but that should warm up over time and burn in.  Plus an amp would definitely help as well as a better source.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #18 of 19

There are plenty of reviews on head-fi that we dont have to link to other sites.
Quote:
I would say yes.  However, the problem with the e10 is that it has a USB input and not a Line-In.  So if paired with an iPhone, the e7/e9 combo would be your best bet.

Here is an article on the duo from Mike over at Headfonia.

http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-e9-dekstop-amplifier/

I would think think the HD 598 would be perfectly fine for that sort of music.  It doesn't have much low bass (so I've been told), but that should warm up over time and burn in.  Plus an amp would definitely help as well as a better source.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #19 of 19

If you are using a iphone as the source you do not need nor can you use a dac, you need an amp(with 2 exceptions). A dac takes a digital usb signal from a computer and converts it to  analog. There are currently only 2 products that can do this with an ipod or iphone and that is not what you need. If you are using a pc then I would say jump all over a dac. If you are using a computer at times and a ipod/iphone other times then you can look t a dac/amp combo like the e7, pico, or predator.
Quote:
Thanks so much for the help man!  So you think it would be best to use an e10, or some type of dac/amp combo with an iphone4? 

And just to clarify...you said a DAC should be used with an iphone4 as well?

I was also looking the fiio e7, you know anything about those?

Also a quick question about something else?  

I listen to mostly soundboard recording of live concerts of a band called PHISH.  So is it a good match for live music listening kinda thats kinda jazzy yet also funky, lots of bass,guitar, and piano solos.

And for this type of music, are open or closed ear headphones better.  I hear closed ear is actually kinda bad because the sound echoes.  Would open ear be better for live music?  I don't mind the sound leakage if it is going to be better for live music, these would be for home anyway.

Thanks so much for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back