Please help: Disappeared tenant, owing rent, some property left behind
Mar 31, 2010 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Banned at his own request
This man has been renting a room in my basement for a while now. He 'disappeared' about two months ago, along with his vehicle. Called him many times, even yesterday and today, and have received no response.
He owes $500 as rent. He left some property in the room, clothing, daily items, whatever.
So what should I do. Claim this property and try to reimburse the $500 loss, wait for him to call back (if ever), or what? I was not able to find laws on this. I live in Quebec (so I guess that U.S. or even Canadian laws don't apply much). Thank you.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 22
do you have any type of contract with him ? if not just sell / throw his **** in the trash
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 22
@earthpeople: I'm supposed to hire some sort of a 'bailiff' (huissier in French) but that cost will greatly surpass the $500 that this man owes.
@Mule: You tell me.
@momomo: No contract. Yeah, probably will sell some stuff. He did left headphones behind.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 22
My parents had the same thing happen with a renter. He left the place in a mess and left all his belongings behind. Had to wait 60 days I think it was and have the police come over and photograph everything. He had a certain amount of time to claim his stuff witch he never did and we had to get rid of it all. He left a Marantz CDP and about 100 DVD's that I ended up keeping but it was a pain in the @ss.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 22
The first thing you should do is call the police. It's possible he disappeared because he got himself into trouble. You need to make it clear that if he was involved in something that you weren't and have no knowledge of it. They will also be able to tell you who you can contact for free legal advice on your rights and his in this situation.
If the police don't seize anything as evidence, then you should inventory everything. You don't want the dude coming back later and accusing you of stealing something that's not there. Get a video camera and record the condition of the space as he left it. Then get a still camera, photograph and write down each item. What you can do next depends on local laws.

Good luck.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by batphink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first thing you should do is call the police. It's possible he disappeared because he got himself into trouble. You need to make it clear that if he was involved in something that you weren't and have no knowledge of it. They will also be able to tell you who you can contact for free legal advice on your rights and his in this situation.
If the police don't seize anything as evidence, then you should inventory everything. You don't want the dude coming back later and accusing you of stealing something that's not there. Get a video camera and record the condition of the space as he left it. Then get a still camera, photograph and write down each item. What you can do next depends on local laws.

Good luck.

Contact the police? What for? Lol, no.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 22
Yeah, no. I contacted a lawyer friend who said that (in Quebec, anyway) as long as no contracts exist, you can kick him out anytime you want and you could take whatever he leaves behind. It's been two full months without contact and I have the right to take whatever is left behind.
Thanks for all the help, guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did left headphones behind.

You should have told us this in the first place. What kind?

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 22
Ohhhh, Thats where you got the DT880!!! LOL

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhhh, Thats where you got the DT880!!! LOL

LOL! Is this true, 3602?
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 22
I miss his old avatar. Even though this ones cool and animated and all, it doesnt look like him...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back