Please help - Best headphones for big beat music
Dec 28, 2008 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KingCobra

New Head-Fier
Hi im looking to get a new pair of headphones. My budget is £200/$350.
The music i primarily listen to is big beat electronic music. Stuff like the prodigy (e.g. firestarter), the chemical brothers (e.g. loops of fury), the crystal method (e.g. busy child), etc.

Here is an example. (skip to 0:50 if you want)

YouTube - Keep Hope Alive-Crystal Method

What headphones would you guys recommend for this type of music? Just to get the most out of it you know.

My friend who knows quite a lot about headphones and music said the best headphones for this type of music would definatley be the ultrasone proline 750s, but he said i should ask you guys aswell.

Would really appreciate any advice thanks.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 12
I listen to techno, minimal, deep house and electro of the "none" crappy, poppy variety. I've always used HD25sp's which I liked but I've just upgraded them to Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's 80ohm. These are more pleasing for my genres of music. Great sound in all respects but the bass depth and punch is very impressive.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 12
I haven't heard that model of Ultrasone, though they have a rep for serious and good bass, but I can suggest Denons as great cans for seriously deep bass and being great Community Service II cans, while being great in many other areas.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 12
I really like my Ultrasone Pro2500 (open version of Pro750) with My Chemical Romance, Prodigy, Pendulum, etc
They have amazing bass and incredible speed that electronic music need. You can't go wrong with these
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #8 of 12
I like my Audio Technica ESW9's for psychedelic trance... would have generally the same musical elements with faster speed (130-150bpm)

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathanlgd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to techno, minimal, deep house and electro of the "none" crappy, poppy variety. I've always used HD25sp's which I liked but I've just upgraded them to Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's 80ohm. These are more pleasing for my genres of music. Great sound in all respects but the bass depth and punch is very impressive.

I second that recommendation! I am extremely happy with mine overall, and the bass is beyond anything I have ever heard, even from a subwoofer!

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 12
Here is the question to answer.

What kind of bass are you looking for?

Are you looking for fast, tight, and detailed bass that won't distort the rest of the spectrum of sound?

Or are you looking for a more expansive, impact bass, which with these headphones will still be tight, but not as fast or detailed?

So are you looking for your bass to be more pronounced, or faster and tighter? That will make your decision making a lot easier IMO.

I've been listening to Crystal Method's Hope Alive this morning from their Vegas remastered 2007 album, and on my AD900, the bass has plenty of impact. I have ripped it to Flac, average 1015 kbps, and I have the equalizer off. I don't think it needs any help from a closed headphone. When I listen to this on my D2000, bass is loud enough, where the mids are veiled. Its overpowering. But you know that's just me.

I had 2 of my co-workers listen to it and they agreed. They would not enjoy it if the bass was louder, the bass would become too distracting. And my volume is only at 8%.

Good luck in your decision.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the question to answer.

What kind of bass are you looking for?

Are you looking for fast, tight, and detailed bass that won't distort the rest of the spectrum of sound?

Or are you looking for a more expansive, impact bass, which with these headphones will still be tight, but not as fast or detailed?

So are you looking for your bass to be more pronounced, or faster and tighter? That will make your decision making a lot easier IMO.

I've been listening to Crystal Method's Hope Alive this morning from their Vegas remastered 2007 album, and on my AD900, the bass has plenty of impact. I have ripped it to Flac, average 1015 kbps, and I have the equalizer off. I don't think it needs any help from a closed headphone. When I listen to this on my D2000, bass is loud enough, where the mids are veiled. Its overpowering. But you know that's just me.

I had 2 of my co-workers listen to it and they agreed. They would not enjoy it if the bass was louder, the bass would become too distracting. And my volume is only at 8%.

Good luck in your decision.

Hi.
Im definatley looking for fast, tight, detailed bass. Really don't want boomy or overpowering bass. But the bass definatley has to be substantial and have some impact. I have been told that the D2000 has more bass than the PRO750, but the 750s is more accurate, detailed and tighter. In which case i would definatley prefer the sound of the ultrasone 750s/2500s. Just wondering if theres any other contenders out there.

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Yes there is, sir. The Victor JVC HP-M1000 will provide what you need, due to the fact that it has clean, BIG, detailed bass...that can all be delivered at turtle-like, I I I mean lightspeed-like...uhhh, speed.

LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back