Please help a brutha out...
Feb 19, 2007 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RCM

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings Earthmen-

As a complete newbie to this type of stuff, I'm totally confused. I need some assistance, and really appreciate any help you can render. Here are my questions, please answer any or all:

1. I've got a pair of AKG 701s on the way, and have nothing else yet. I realize I'll need an amp, and would like to be able to move it around the house pretty easily, so was leaning toward the Hornet. Is this an acceptable amp for these cans, or is there something that will work better but still be relatively portable?

2. I have a huge CD collection and would also like to be able to use other music sources such as downloads or whatever else is out there, but I have no idea if the sound quality of downloaded music is good enough for this type of application. What type of source do I use? MP3, iPod, ...? It seems like there's thousands of possibilities, and the more I read, the more confused I am. How do you get music to the amp that can be moved from room to room and is still good enough for a great headphone setup?

3. Besides an amp, headphones, and source, what else do I need? I have several obsessions (cycling and coffee), and don't want to turn this into another, I just want to get a good set of hardware and listen to great music while I deal with my other obsessions. I know most of you are obsessed with the headphone biz and can hopefully lead me in the right direction.

Thanks again for your help...Rod

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your... cycling and coffee obsessions!

The Hornet should be a good match for your K701s. I've only listened to the combo for a brief period at a headphone meet, but was certainly impressed. I'm sure others, more experienced than I will offer some other advice though.

As far as compressed music. Try experiencing with different compression schemes/sizes. The tradeoff with less compression is better sound quality at the cost of storage space and battery life.

If you don't have an iPod yet, there are certainly better alternatives in my opinion. Take a look at Creative and Cowon products. I also love my Toshiba gigabeat, but I think you'd get an argument from others around here (usually those who've only read about it and haven't lived with it).

If you do have an iPod, make sure to get a line out dock.

Enjoy the journey.

Rob

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 9
Since you mention d/l music .......it presumes computer usage. What about your soundcard......and isn't listening while on the computer part of what you do? Sound Card for non-laptops is best handled by ESI Juli@ (a thorough websearch should find you one for $129...more often now at $159) - best price/sound quality ratio.
DAPS - iAudio (Cowon) x5L is pretty wellknown for being able to handle .flac files and v.g. overall sound quality, but issues like menu controller and small screen are minuses. The Samsung YP-k3 is arriving at stores in March (2 and 4gig models [8gig, I think comes in June]). The SQ of the current Samsung flash drive player has been above average, and these are worth serious consideration. No need for something like the damn iTunes-type interface - you can simply drag and drop files from your computer
.........I'm holding off for the 8gig k3 as the follow-up for my 1stGen. Nano.
FYI current industry projections are that Apple and all the others will be rapidly phasing out harddrive players in favor of flash memory players,
Compression? Unless you have large amounts of music you want to keep on a large-capacity player (then use .flac or .ape)............I'd suggest ripping with EAC and choosing VBR (either 256 or 320 - file size differences between those 2 choices is minute).
Finally, your k701's really want much more powerful amping than many peeps realize. DO NOT consider any "budget amp".......truthfully, you're asking too much in wanting any portable amp to properly drive the k701......and beyond that - k701 benefit from a tube setup........you could take the suggestion of Hornet M for a starter, but if you find you really like the k701, you'll choose to upgrade from there.........really, to move around, going portably - a pair of V-Moda Vibes (right now, cable on Flashblack, or Red Roxx colors makes them the pref. models) attached to an Cowon x5L or the upcoming Samsung should make you happy. Modded iM716 earphones need an amp.....though one could also consider Etymotics er-6i. ...............save your k701 for home use and get a good strong tube amp for them.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 9
sounds like you basically want a portable setup

DAP>Hornet>K701

FLAC and ALAC are lossless cd quality
MP3 is lossy meaning losing quality it's compressed I'd suggest a bit rate of 320kbps. do NOT rip your music in 128kbps MP3's some people say 192kbps is enough but others say otherwise there is a thread on the subject if you want to read more about it.

If you do this from iTunes by defualt it will be set at AAC 128kbps so make sure you change it before importing your music.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Can't help out with the equipment part, but I believe there's no legal service online right now that offers download good enough for high-end gear.

I think there's a webby that sells very cheap CDs though, but I can't remember the URL. It was mentioned recently, though the thread was lamenting the end of the service.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Concerning lossy formats, it doesnt matter which format you use (mp3, mpc, ogg etc...), 192kbps is minimum to be enjoyable with good cans. There are artifacts, but not quite noticeable if you are listening the music and not analyzing. Below it the artifacts totally butcher the sound. Above is recommended. 256VBR (If adjustable in your program, set 64 minimum, 256 Average and 320 maximum), practically no heardable difference to original.

For good soundcars, Esi Juli@ is very recommended audiophile card. However, if you do any gaming with your computer, your only choice is pretty much Soundblaster X-Fi. Good sound in bitperfect mode and good gaming ability. Juli@ wont cut it in gaming. No gaming? Go for Juli@.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have several obsessions (cycling and coffee), and don't want to turn this into another....

Be careful!

As for getting an amp, the suggestion of a tube amp is a good one. The K-701 needs plenty of current and you're much better off with a real desktop amp, one that plugs into the wall. If you want a reasonably sized solid state desktop amp, get the Corda Arietta. It's only $290, which is a great price. The Gilmore Lite is a little bigger, and it's $300. Both of them stomp all over portables and will drive your K-701 fully.

If you have to go portable with an amp, don't spend $350 on one. That's lunacy, and I don't care what people say about the sound. I DIY amps, and the average portable has maybe $50-70 of parts in it. Maybe $100, if you really went all out. The rest is profit. Capitalism is a good thing, but is that how you want to spend your money? Great desktop amps cost less, and you can always get a halfway decent portable for $50, or the HeadRoom Total AirHead ($150) would be the most I'd pay. Or do as I do, just run IEMs directly out of the iPod without an amp.

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful!

As for getting an amp, the suggestion of a tube amp is a good one. The K-701 needs plenty of current and you're much better off with a real desktop amp, one that plugs into the wall. If you want a reasonably sized solid state desktop amp, get the Corda Arietta. It's only $290, which is a great price. The Gilmore Lite is a little bigger, and it's $300. Both of them stomp all over portables and will drive your K-701 fully.

If you have to go portable with an amp, don't spend $350 on one. That's lunacy, and I don't care what people say about the sound. I DIY amps, and the average portable has maybe $50-70 of parts in it. Maybe $100, if you really went all out. The rest is profit. Capitalism is a good thing, but is that how you want to spend your money? Great desktop amps cost less, and you can always get a halfway decent portable for $50, or the HeadRoom Total AirHead ($150) would be the most I'd pay. Or do as I do, just run IEMs directly out of the iPod without an amp.

You are right. Dedicated headphone amplifiers are not big. Actually they are VERY small. I was surprised how nifty my X-Cans V1 is. Transporting from room to another is not a problem. Portable amplifiers are good for what they are, ON GO. Even though they are about same size with pack of cigarettes, in home moving an dedicated amplifier which is about 25cm long and 10cm wide and thick is easy enough there. AND better sound for same money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back