Please explain HP-1
Oct 10, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 30
I wouldn't worry hirsch. I have heard an HP-2 without the ref, an HP-1 without and I own the HP-1 with. The differences are so slight to my ears (which I feel are near golden) that it is not really worth the effort to search out and pay more. Maybe we can do a trade sometime. I'll test your W2002s and you can test my HP-1s with ref
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #17 of 30
I've talked to some people who have heard both HP-1000 cables who said they prefered the standard over the 'Reference.' I'll try to dig up specifics, but my impression -- based on others' comments and not having heard both cables -- is that the difference between the cables is nearly nonexistent.

My HP-2 has the standard cable as well, Hirsch. Too bad or we could compare.

kerely

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 30
To my ears, I hear a difference in bass and treble extension between cables. The standard cable delivers slightly more bass but compromises the top end just slightly, where as the sig cable has maximum extension and a slightly tighter bass but not as visceral. These differences to me were very slight, and I was using the Headmaster at the time of A/Bing.

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Excuse me. May I ask how does the standard or reference cable compare to the RS-1's?

Do you mean the RS-1 cable? Or the RS-1s in general? If that is what you want, then I posted a review of the three phones. If you are inquiring about the cables, I believe the RS cables are better than the HP-1000 cables. Better parts, more attention to detail. Whether the sound is better or not depends...these new cables were meant for the RS series.

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #22 of 30
Interestingly, you may have noticed that Grado has brought back the HP-1000's 'Reference' cable as their Signature Series interconnects. I asked to make sure, and yes, it is the old 'Reference' cable -- so apparently they still view them highly. Don't know why they decided to use the 'Reference' instead of the cable they use with the RS-1, but it may mean something.

kerely

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #23 of 30
I think it would be great to see if people would start putting in new high-quality cables into their high-end Grados (HP-1000s, RS-1, RS-2, and MS Pro). I believe MRael did replace the cables on his SR-325 with a different cable for portability reasons. Another member soldered in the Equinox cable into the Beyer DT931. And I believe Grado has been making a few RS-1s for use with Headroom's Blockhead amp. I, for one, would like to see some cable mods for my HP2.

Of course, part of the reason that the HD600's cable replacements are more popular is that they are easier to install, the headphones are cheaper, the cables can work with the HD580, and the stock Senns have some glaring faults that could be almost completely corrected with these great cables. The Grados already have at the very least decent cables of quality much higher than the HD600s. And for those of us who don't enjoy playing with molten metal, sending one's headphones away for a while is not a fun prospect -- and neither is the labor cost involved.

Still, someone has to try installing a newer cable. I nominate joelongwood since he has too many high-end Grados for his own good already!

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #24 of 30
I had at least one person (sorry, I don't remember who) try to tell me that I would actually prefer the standard (not the upgrade) cable, because it had better bass.

Anyone else hear this? I wouldn't mind knowing.

Also, what is the price difference between the HP-1000's with vs. without the upgrade cable? The prices on these things vary so much, it does not seem to take the upgrade cable into account.

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #25 of 30
I've noticed in the latest eBay auctions for HP-1000s, a day or so after the start the seller edits the auction to say something like, "I've been asked by a number of people about the cable, and it turns out it's the ... cable." The prices for these auctions often go higher. Also, HP-1000s sold here on Head-Fi get higher prices if they come with the Reference cable.

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 30
Dusty: I too have noticed better bass with the stock cable. Hope that helps. Also, it seems lately, a price for an hp-2 is 550-600, with ref 650-700. The cost for an hp-1 is 650-700, with the ref, 750-800+. It depends on where you are selling it and how good the condition of the phones are.

I know that some head-fiers have found their HP-1000's in the 2-300 range. This of course is going through outsiders (non-head-fiers) who know nothing of their true potential. I wish I had those connections. I have purchased one set from a head-fier and another set from a gentleman who definitely knew what he was letting go, and I paid for it.

I figure it like this: Does one perceive these to be the best dynamic phones? Or at least second best next to the R10's? If so, what is that worth? Does one have an amp with enough juice to power these babies? If so, then how much use will one get from these phones?

This past summer I asked myself those questions, and I dropped the cash in the end. To me it was worth getting them, at least to try out. A lot of money for sure on a whim but I am pleased I did it.

Very few people have sold their only pair of HP-1000's around here. Fewer still if they were HP-2's or 1's, and even fewer still if they had the ref. There must be something about these phones to result in this. Also, I have chatted with Vka saying he prefers the HP-1's over the R10's, kelly who does as well, Hirsch who if given the choice would go with HP-1/Zotl combo over the R10/Ear combo and a few others who I can't recall their monikers had similar views.

This says much about these phones. I don't want to hype them too much since they are difficult to find. But every few months they appear on Ebay or someone sells one here.

I have never heard the R10's so I really have no idea, but the HP-1000's are very special indeed and worth the effort to acquire.

Oct 11, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Hirsch who if given the choice would go with HP-1/Zotl combo over the R10/Ear combo

This was prior to recent EAR tuberolling experiments...and an HP4 tube rolling thread is about due
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #28 of 30
One of my fantasies (#805, to be specific) is to pay KimberKable to make me up a headphone cable out of their KCAG stock. I *know* they would do it if I waved enough money in front of their face. As far as the HP2's go, changing the cable is as easy as pie. The 325's are a bit harder. The RS1 is the most dangerous to mod of all; the wood enclosure will often split while trying to remove the driver-- even the person at Grado who does this experiences problems while trying to knock them out. Its a shame too, because I'd rather change the cable on the RS1 than the HP2.

Oct 11, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #29 of 30
The word for the way out of phase recordings sound is "diffuse." This is occasionally (but seldom) used purposefully as an effect. Typically, you want the sound to be in phase and as Zanth said, focused. I would not dub this difference an "illusion."

I heard an HP-2 with Reference Cable that I originally thought may have had cold solder joints because the sound was slightly muffled compared to another HP-2 I heard with standard cable and an HP-1 I have with standard cable. I tried the HP-2 w Reference Cable in some other amps and found that the "muffled" effect seemed more amp dependent. On other amps, the sound was more as Zanth had described (and particuarly with the Sugden Headmaster). This leads me to believe that there may be different resistance in one cable versus the other. If the headphone I heard is typical (and I cannot guarantee it is), I actually prefer the Standard cable.

I have wondered A LOT whether I might prefer the StefanAudio Art Equinox or other cable with the HP-1. This is a somewhat expensive experiement, however, so I've not yet been able to convince myself to try it. With Standard cable, the HP-1 still remains my favorite dynamic headphone.

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
One of my fantasies (#805, to be specific) is to pay KimberKable to make me up a headphone cable out of their KCAG stock...

Don't you mean KCTG?
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back