Please explain HP-1
Oct 9, 2002 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
In some messages the following Grado headphones are described: HP-1000, HP-1, and HP-2. Are they different designations for the same headphone? I see discussion of an HP-1000/HP2 headphone. Is this a single headphone, and is it the same as a HP-1?

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 30
The HP-1000 series consisted of the HP-1, HP-2 and HP-3 headphones. The HP-1 has phase switches on the earpieces, while the HP-2 does not. The HP-3 is similar to the HP-2, but the drivers are not matched as closely as the HP-1 and HP-2.

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 30
Also important to note: Joseph Grado, owner of Grado when the company made the HP-1000 series, also had a prestige line as they do now. However, there were then only three models -- the SR100, SR200, and SR300. The old SR300 had plastic driver housings, unlike the modern SR325 which has metal housings. The Grado SR40, SR60, and SR80 are all newer headphones as well.

Oct 9, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 30
I was thinking of posting a long write-up about the HP-1000 'phones to clear up some of the confusion. When I was in the process of searching around for what I wanted before buying my HP-2 I found lots of posts on Head-Fi that have lots of unanswered questions about the HP-1000; there is also quite a lot of information lying around that's simply wrong. And then dealing with the sellers -- well, none of them knew anything.

I've compiled quite a bit of info from the original paperwork that came with the headphones, talking to other owners, and talking to Grado. I'll get around to compiling and posting it as soon as I feel like it. Midterms and crew are keeping me busy -- and the intramural football season starts tonight, woo hoo.

Hirsch, maybe one of these days we can get together and write a good comparative review of the HP-1, HP-2, and RS-1. I'll have a Gilmore Dynamic to run mine eventually, and I know you have some pretty nice setups out there in the burbs.

Well, anyway, I'm going to sleep. Four and five hours of sleep a night just isn't cutting it.

kerely

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 30
You think I'm enjoying my running average of three hours/night over the past week?
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 30
LOL, you should have gone. Nights are sleepless for slow-working slackers like me, but the potential monetary rewards afterwards are plentiful.
biggrin.gif
Anyway, if we carry on this discussion it had better be privately. Sorry to steer this thread off-topic (though the question seems already to be answered).

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 30
Hirsch - Thanks for the valuable info. But, what's the purpose of the phase switches on the earpieces? Are they just to reverse the left and right channels? As for the drivers of the HP-3 being less matched, does this mean that one side is louder, or sounds different from the other? So, if I shop for an HP-1000 series headphone, which is best? All of this is a bit confusing.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 30
The phase switches on the HP-1 allow you to correct for absolute phase. They do NOT reverse the channels, simply switch the signal and ground leads to each driver. On occasion, this seems to make a difference, but it's subtle, and may be an illusion. When the phase switches are set in different positions, the effect is....interesting....
tongue.gif

The HP-1 and HP-2 used very careful driver matching, to exact tolerances. The HP-3 used a slightly more relaxed standard. Someone who's owned an HP-3 and an HP-1 or HP-2 would have to say whether the difference was even audible.

The theoretical best would be the HP-2 with the Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference cable, but only if you believe that the presence of a switch in the signal path might introduce some signal degredation. Otherwise, it might be the HP-1, since you can listen with correct absolute phase to all recordings.

There were two kinds of cable used in the HP-1000 series, the Laboratory standard cable, and the Reference cable. In theory, the Reference cable is supposed to be better, but those who have heard both and posted seem to think the difference made by the cable is minimal, if present at all.

In real life, if you can get any HP-1 or HP-2 in good condition, you've got one of the best of the Grado's, IMO.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 30
[Hirsch answered phase switch question while I was typing this post up
smily_headphones1.gif
]

When drivers are not matched as carefully, this means essentially that the two drivers are not tested to as great a degree to make sure that they respond the same way to an identical signal. This may mean that one side is ever-so-slightly louder (I doubt that it's ever clearly noticeable) or may be louder at a specific frequency. Most likely, the sound quality might be slightly degraded because of the unequal response, though it should be noted that just because the two drivers aren't tested to the same specs doesn't mean they don't perform to them.

In the end, you likely won't find any HP3s anywhere -- I don't think I've ever seen one for sale on- or off-line. The most significant difference that people have reported among various HP-1000 headphones is the cable. Some come with the "standard" cable, while others come with the "reference ultrawide bandwidth" cable. The latter generally sells for more and is more difficult to find. Some have reported a clearly noticeable difference, some have noted a small difference, and some claim to perceive no difference whatsoever. If you're going for an HP1000, I'd go for the first one you see for sale that you can afford because they don't come up all that often anymore.

Hirsch, I have heard from a couple of ref-cable owners privately that there is a difference that may to some be worth the price difference.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 30
DanG & Hirsch - Thanks very very much for answering my questions so completely. As I recall with speakers, being in phase, and using a mono source, yields a sharply focused sound mid way between the speakers (e.g., a solo singer). But, when speakers are out of phase (e.g., by reversing the inputs on one speaker) the sound is hollow and out of focus. Sorry to mention this bit of trivia if it's already familiar to you.

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
Hirsch - Thanks for the valuable info. But, what's the purpose of the phase switches on the earpieces? Are they just to reverse the left and right channels? As for the drivers of the HP-3 being less matched, does this mean that one side is louder, or sounds different from the other? So, if I shop for an HP-1000 series headphone, which is best? All of this is a bit confusing.

It's not that specific. Because it's frequency dependent, all you hear in the differences is the "gestalt". The effect is less focused imaging and "headstage" (headphone soundstage).

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG

Hirsch, I have heard from a couple of ref-cable owners privately that there is a difference that may to some be worth the price difference.

Boy do I wish I hadn't seen this. My HP-1 has the standard cable...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back