Please delete this thread
Nov 4, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #31 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #32 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #33 of 75
I got the Phillips Fidelio X2 in, and they are really really muffled sounding, but nice bass. I had to slam a V shape on eq, with treble maxing out, and they're ok. They sound like very similar to the bass heavy M&0 Beryllium Acoustic that I have, except open back for the X2. I'm looking to add treble and vocals to that bass without forcing it in eq. I'm thinking about either Beyer 770 pro, 990 pro, or 700 pro X. I'm prob going to return the X2 when I get closer to "the ones".
X2 or X2HR? And what's your source? I've seen some crazy people throw them on tubes... which is just... well, more power to you if you think that adds anything, and you enjoy it. But I haven't found the X2HR to mix well with tubes. Then I would say it sounds muffled.

Plus you V-shaped an already mildly v-shaped headphone? You're crazy :) Sounds like you just need to get those Beyer's my man. Or maybe even an AKG.
You can't be listening to the X2HR. If you are, it's either your music, or your source that's making them sound muffled. Or we have different ears.

I've found they're great for metal and rock and some other things like that. Pop music even. Ambient.
But I've tried some Jazz and some other more subtle music where they just sounded underwhelming.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #34 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #35 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #36 of 75
I originally was listening on the vintage Pioneer, but the right channel went out...and the left channel is playing on both channels in mono. Don't ask me how, but confirmand.

Now I'm using my Xonar Audacity STX soundcard, with similar results with a bit thinner sound than the Pioneer. Wait...I'm listening through motherboard....

Edit: ok this is weird. Now this is just from a minute so bare with me. Through the motherboard I lost my ability to eq so I take it as it is. It sounded ok. So going back to the Xonar flat, it sounded....ok. When I put on my super V...it sounded better. Then going back to flat, it sounded flat. I'm over eq it and throwing off my brain. I need more testing. I apologies to the X2 owners. :) noob move it seems.

Super V.png
I take my hat off to your treble tolerance levels. I like my mids and bass.
On the X2HR the v-shape is so mild that you certainly could increase it, but, ehhhhhhh.

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #37 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #38 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #39 of 75
Am I the only one that would MUCH rather read a review than sit through it on YouTube? Not only does a two minute review take 20 minutes but I have to hear some less than appealing voices.

But…money has to be made I suppose.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #40 of 75
They weren't harsh AT ALL! Maybe it's my setup?
Maybe so. Or your music. When I think of songs that have hurt me with the X2HR I'm almost exclusively thinking of screechy/piercing metal guitars and cymbal-work.
It's a pretty forgiving heaphone, and a godsend for metalheads imo. My sennheiser HD 599 isn't as technically accomplished as the X2HR but it's somehow less forgiving of less than stellar music production.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #41 of 75
I like the really, really cringy reviews where someone is trying to emulate Z reviews.

Failing that, there's this guy who's always stoned for his... back pain I think it was.

Nov 5, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #42 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #43 of 75
I really like this guy. He said, "which Beyer?...NONE!" But then went on to rank them:

He recommends the Hifiman Edition XS:

I watched the videos the other day actually. seems quite honest and descriptive on his reviews. None of those Beyers are my personal favs and haven't heard the Pro 900 X or Tygr 300 R, but the others bothered me long term in terms of treble. I fall more in the DT 150, DT 48/480, Amiron Home, T1.2, T1.3, and T5.3 camp with Beyers.

He is right about how he describes the R70X, amazing imaging and doesn't really have any real problems but there is a bit of what you can a muffledness to it, the challenge with the R70X is finding a system that can overcome this. It's weird but you notice it if you spend time with them, sometimes you don't really notice it and other times it just bothers you. Haven't had the chance to hear any of the more recent Hifimans, haven't heard a Hifiman since the HE-500 and HE-6 days

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #44 of 75
I've found that with YouTube reviews with regards to anything, car parts and stuff too, to take it with a grain of salt almost, like I'll read a bunch about a product I need or am interested in buying. Sometimes the 'glowing' YouTube review actually makes me shy away from a product. But yeah, the world is a business I think.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #45 of 75

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back