Please delete this thread
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #61 of 75
I'm getting scammed ahaha

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #62 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #63 of 75
A problem I see and ran into a lot is on the headphone subreddit. Plenty of times I've looked at people asking for purchasing advice and people who have never heard the headphone giving advice. A few times ive even clicked on the profile of the person giving the advice and they themselves are asking for advice on their own thread about upgrading a cheap pair of headphones yet are giving advice on threads where people are looking to spend a couple to a few thousand dollars. The main one I remember is a guy who was asking which would be a better buy between an abyss 1266 or susvara and some guy replied along the lines that he would be better off getting an arya instead of susvara because "the only difference between them is a 2k dip and its nearly inaudible they sound virtually the same" I go on his profile and they had a thread where they were looking to upgrade their only pair of SHP9500 headphones. That's why I like this forum because people usually have their gear in their signature so at least I can see what they have experience with when they give advice or better they take pics with the gear on their table and give their impressions.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #64 of 75
A problem I see and ran into a lot is on the headphone subreddit. Plenty of times I've looked at people asking for purchasing advice and people who have never heard the headphone giving advice. A few times ive even clicked on the profile of the person giving the advice and they themselves are asking for advice on their own thread about upgrading a cheap pair of headphones yet are giving advice on threads where people are looking to spend a couple to a few thousand dollars. The main one I remember is a guy who was asking which would be a better buy between an abyss 1266 or susvara and some guy replied along the lines that he would be better off getting an arya instead of susvara because "the only difference between them is a 2k dip and its nearly inaudible they sound virtually the same" I go on his profile and they had a thread where they were looking to upgrade their only pair of SHP9500 headphones. That's why I like this forum because people usually have their gear in their signature so at least I can see what they have experience with when they give advice or better they take pics with the gear on their table and give their impressions.
Reddit is the last place I'd go to look for advice on audio anything.

Basically just full of z reviews + crinacle stans and cable haters.

I posted a pic of the mod I did to my focal clears in one of the headphone mod subreddits and you should have seen the amount of hate and downvotes I got. I just upgraded the driver wires to 18 awg solid core mundorf silver / gold alloy wire with mundorf supreme solder.

A flood of insults and comments like, "you've just insulted my favorite brand of headphone" 🤦‍♂️ .

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #65 of 75
I am burnt-out on chi-fi though. Now the coaxial output on my topping m50 has crapped itself. I don't even care, I'm worn out with it. I just want things to work lol. I just want to relax and not stress out over the latest malfunction. Tired of chinese stuff that can't stay functional for more than a week or a month. Not even gonna bother addressing it, just running optical now. Just optical and usb. Whateverandever.

The stuff I'm looking at these days might not cost thousands of dollars, but it should be reliable.
Update: I fixed it! The structure of the coaxial plug had come loose in its crappy plastic clip-on fitting to the board. So I superglued it in place :D

My coaxial cable has tight contacts.

Nov 27, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #66 of 75
I used to love audio magazines since high school back in the early 90's. I came to realize reviewers are professional marketers. They would say "you must spends $$$$ to get this level of sound". That is the game.

Then comes youtube. Finally we can get regular people to tell us the truth. Wrong. Youtubers are all about their own wallet. The honest ones can't truly give good opinions, because they don't get enough constant free gear to even be able to say something is "best" or whatever. I have no problem with affiliate links, but I do have a problem with being played. basically if they have actually listened to a LARGE variety to know, then you can bet they are manipulating marketers.

I didn't realize, but could have bought a recapped vintage receiver back then (and even now) and have powerful house filling sound for very affordable money. Those vintage receivers have powerful headphone outputs that make all these modern dacs and headphone amps obsolete.
My first system had a new Denon surround sound receiver that I paid $900 for. Pretty much when I got it home I read about dolby digital coming soon. My speakers had a VERY audible hum that dolby digital eliminates. Ok fine...but wait....one channel dies just about a year later. I was burned.

YEARS LATER THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO A 1 yr old Harmon Kardon stereo receiver. Burned again. I sold an Emotiva 2 channel amp to get that ZHK because I wanted another rca input.

Now I have a recapped Pioneer SX-1000TD from 1968, and I LOVE it.

You better believe the marketers are planted in forums as well. If you think I'm exaggerating or crazy...then you haven't been red dpilled yet.
That's why I love The Director's Garage. He doesn't take products from manufacturers so he freely roasts them when he doesn't believe something is up to par.

However, just like any reviewer, his hearing, sound preferences, and taste in music may or may not align with yours. So you have to take what he or anyone else for that matter says, with a grain of salt.

In addition, you rarely see long-term reviews from someone who has lived with a product for more than a few months. With new products, their goal is to get that review out there as quickly as possible to get as many views as possible.

Unfortunately in this hobby, the only way to truly know if something is right for you is to try it for yourself.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #67 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #68 of 75
Forget long term reviews with The Directors Garage. He loves reviewing it right out of the box.
Yeah, I wouldn't call those reviews. More like first impressions. I like those "What's In The Box?" videos.

Then, he usually does a longer-term review, where he often changes his mind about some aspect of his initial impressions.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #69 of 75

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #70 of 75
Mmm. Yer a bit silly mate.

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #71 of 75
fair enough

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #72 of 75
I just feel vaguely sorry for whoever took your HE6's back... what did you tell them?

Nov 27, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #73 of 75
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #74 of 75
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #75 of 75
Update: I fixed it! The structure of the coaxial plug had come loose in its crappy plastic clip-on fitting to the board. So I superglued it in place^^ :D

My coaxial cable has tight contacts.
^^ now you have a stopping m50…🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back