please be gentle
Jan 31, 2002 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

melissak

New Head-Fier
I'm learning to record on a Boss BR-532 digital studio. I know something about music but anything I know about audio electronics and recording I've learned in the last week. The learning curve is steep as you know so forgive me for a basic question. What does impedance mean with respect to headphones? How does the increase/decrease in that number (in ohms) translate?

I am looking to get a pair of headphones for my Boss. Boss recommend the Roland RH-25 (their brand) which are multimedia headphones and nothing praiseworthy as I understand. The recommended impedance for the headphone jack of the BR-532 is 8-50 ohms.

Am I burning my money to get a pair of Grado 6R-60's? I believe those have an impedance of 32, like the Rolands. Will I damage my BR-532 output with other standard stereo headphones, and why? I just don't understand what the numbers mean and how close I can get to the edges of that 8-50 impedance range. Thanks so much you all.

Feb 1, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 30
First off, I'm no expert. But here it goes. Impedence is resistence. It is measured in ohms. The lower the number, the easier they are to drive. Meaning that 32ohm cans require less power than say 80ohm cans. I hope that made sense (and I hope it is correct).

And in my opinion, you can't go wrong with Grados.

Feb 1, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 30
I don't think Grados are the best option for a studio monitor due to colored sound and possible discomfort with extended wear (depeding on your comfort level). However, they are much better than what you were considering getting.

Another possibility in that price range is the Sony MDR-V6, which is cheapest from www.etronics.com which will give you a less colored image of the sound.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Feb 1, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 30
Resistance is DC, Impedance is AC.

Impedance is a little more complex than a straight measurement of resistance with a meter, but it's telling you the same thing.

How hard it is for current to flow.

Analagous to a 2" hose, low resistance/impedance and a 1/2" hose, high resistance, and tie it in a knot, high impedance.

Hope that helps a little.

Any 'phone under a 100 ohm should be satisfactory. Grado's are great and if you need closed, isolated, the Sony V6 gets a lot of positive press.

Feb 1, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by mc whak
First off, I'm no expert. But here it goes. Impedence is resistence. It is measured in ohms. The lower the number, the easier they are to drive. Meaning that 32ohm cans require less power than say 80ohm cans. I hope that made sense (and I hope it is correct).

That's correct and it isn't correct
smily_headphones1.gif
. sensitivity is another issue; an 80-ohm can with 103db sensitivity will need less power to get loud than a 32-ohm can with 93db sensitivity. On the other hand, take a set of cans like AKG's K240 line: the K240S has a 50 ohm impedance while the K240M has a 600 ohm impedance. both have the same sensitivity (I think). The K240S will need MUCH less power than the K240M.
Quote:

And in my opinion, you can't go wrong with Grados.

you can, IMO, when it comes to monitoring. Grados are simply too colored to be of any use. I would reccomend the Sony V6, and if you can find it, the aforementioned AKG K240S might be a possibility.

Feb 1, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 30
I'm curious to learn where you are learning to record in a digital studio, is it through school or a job?

If school, can you please let me know, i'm very interested in following a career path in the same direction!

George

Feb 1, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 30
You need headphones that will reproduce any signal you wish to record or monitor.

Grado's are a bad choice.

Best choice I would say would be the Sony MDR-7506's ($100) or the SONY V6 for about $60. Many say these are the same headphones. I disagree. There are probably differences is quality control and construction, especially the cable.

rolleyes.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
Many say these are the same headphones. I disagree. There are probably differences is quality control and construction, especially the cable.

rolleyes.gif

WRONG!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

V6s and HD580s are standards for monitoring

the HD580's are not monitor headphones. In fact, apart from the V6, the only other standard I know of for recording is...the AKG K240!
eek.gif
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 30
Get the V-6's. I own both the V-6 and 7506. Absolutely no difference (not pads, drivers or cable, only the plating on the plug and the stickers). Search for the V-6/7506 thread, 1 V6 earpiece and one 7506, then decide if they could posssibly be different. There is no QA difference , only the market they are sold to.

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 30
Just for fun, here's a list of monitoring/mixing heaphones & associate equipment, from an article about one of Stereophile's own recordings (January 2002 issue): For editing/mixing, the Sennheiser HD600 driven by Headroom Cosmic. For monitoring sessions, the Stax Lamba Pro, Senn HD580, and Sony MDR-7506 (with a Headroom Max).

Feb 1, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Best choice I would say would be the Sony MDR-7506's ($100) or the SONY V6 for about $60. Many say these are the same headphones. I disagree. There are probably differences is quality control and construction, especially the cable.

This is incorrect. The *only* differences are the color of the miniplug (gold vs. silver color) and the model number on the sticker. Apart from that, they are *exactly* the same headphone. They come off of the same production lines. There are no differences in either parts or manufacturing.

Feb 1, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

This is incorrect. The *only* differences are the color of the miniplug (gold vs. silver color) and the model number on the sticker. Apart from that, they are *exactly* the same headphone. They come off of the same production lines. There are no differences in either parts or manufacturing.

Miniplug is different. Sticker is different, but there are no differences in parts?
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just out of a burning desire to know the whole truth....
what is the definitive source of this information...that the two units are identical?
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 6:41 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Miniplug is different. Sticker is different, but there are no differences in parts?
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just out of a burning desire to know the whole truth....
what is the definitive source of this information...that the two units are identical?
tongue.gif

if you're trying to justify the fact that you spent way more than necessary, stop now
wink.gif
. You want a definitive source? Try Sony!
biggrin.gif
If you ask them, they'll tell you that they're the same thing. Every single part is interchangeable. In fact, I think it was Flumpus who received a pair of headphones with "V6" written on one earcup and "V7506" written on the other! The only difference is the sticker and the plug. that's it. everything else is a placebo.

dear God...I'm turning into MIKE WALKER!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back