PlayStation-Fi
Apr 27, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #152 of 259
Gizmodo had a post about failure rate of 40GB PS3 being somewhat higher than any other models. This kinda sucks 'cuz last time I checked the status on my warranty, they said they are back-logged on 40GB models and it could take up to 15 days on top of the other 15 days turn around time before I'll get mine back. And it's a maybe which means it could take more. I feel so cheated now.
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #153 of 259
Just wondering, have anyone really compared the playback quality of Bluray from PS3 compared to standalone, $1000 plus Bluray player?

I was wondering why the Bluray player is so expensive and whether it's any better than PS3 one in terms of audio/video quality.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #155 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, have anyone really compared the playback quality of Bluray from PS3 compared to standalone, $1000 plus Bluray player?

I was wondering why the Bluray player is so expensive and whether it's any better than PS3 one in terms of audio/video quality.

I've read numerous times that the video playback of the PS3 is currently at the top of the heap. So paying big bucks to stand alone players might be a waste of money not to mention that the PS3 is futureproof. Firmware upgrades are a snap
smily_headphones1.gif

As for Audio...I'm not sure. I've read some who claim it is wonderful (not just for BluRay but for SACD and CD) but others claim it is "just okay." I haven't compared it to anything else so I can't really comment. I will say that with optical output it should be easy to use a nice DAC to get the sound one wants.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #156 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by ik999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is $350cad for a 60gb ps3 bnib a good deal?

or should I wait?

That is an insane deal. Think...that unit cost Sony about $800-900 to make. It sold for $650 before dropping to $550 when they were dumping stock just prior to the 80GB roll-out.

$350 BNIB is a killer deal and if it is legit you should RUN and grab it.

May 25, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #157 of 259
Quick question guys,

You know when you are watching DVD/Bluray with your PS3, and then when you press menu, on the top it has 4 coloured boxes and up, left, right, down arrows. What are those for?

And I think I might have accidentally pressed them a few times, did I change something permanently or those arrow settings (whatever I pressed) will be changed to default again when I load the next movie disc?

May 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #158 of 259
my brothers and i have 2 OG PSX's, 1 working 1 not. a psone, 2 disc read error ps2s, a slim ps2, 2 working big ps2s, and a ps3.

im considering buying a used psp due to the appeal of the ease of playing burned games on it, but money is going to more important things at the moment haha.

and how do you stream movies from your computer to your ps3? i tried doing that with my xbox 360 a while ago, but im inept at it for some reason.

May 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #159 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and how do you stream movies from your computer to your ps3? i tried doing that with my xbox 360 a while ago, but im inept at it for some reason.

Depending on your operating system, TVersity or Fuppes would be my recommendation. TVersity has nice transcoding right on install with no hacking up config files. It didn't work well for me so I went with Fuppes (I also run a linux server so that had something to do with it).

Turn on the PS3's streaming feature in the settings, load up a server on your box, PS3 should detect it immediately if the box is not firewalled, and off you go!

May 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #160 of 259
Quote:

Quick question guys,

You know when you are watching DVD/Bluray with your PS3, and then when you press menu, on the top it has 4 coloured boxes and up, left, right, down arrows. What are those for?

And I think I might have accidentally pressed them a few times, did I change something permanently or those arrow settings (whatever I pressed) will be changed to default again when I load the next movie disc?

No PS3 owners know what those coloured box and buttons do?

May 26, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #161 of 259
Quote:

The downside to the PS3, when compared to stand alone, is the fact that it cannot be controlled with a universal remote out of the box. There are easy and cheap, solutions to this problem, though. The main gripe is the sound of the fan which is louder than a stand-alone player. Also, this summer, there will be Bluray players that can decode hirez master audio and send it out over analog, so you will be able to get "lossless" audio without updating to an HDMI receiver.

I should mention that I have a friend that owns two Samsung BD players and they suck at reading disks with scratches. He has had a problem with playing 3 of the last 5 BDs that he rented via Netflix on both machines. He gave me one of the bad discs to test on the PS3 and it played without a problem. Also, on good discs, the PS3 loads faster than the Samsungs.

I also have an Oppo universal player that had a problem playing one of my SACDs. I popped it in the PS3 and it played without a problem. Apparently, the PS3 is great at playing discs with scratches or errors of some kind.

I have not performed a sound quality test, but I think it sounds fantastic playing music from my Tversity server and it does an admirable job with SACDs and CDs. I have never put together a side by test with my Oppo 980H because it is very difficult to do with hard media that requires changing out discs and also requires the monitor on to navigate.

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #165 of 259
A 2nd for monoprice - you won't beat their prices and the cable quality is high to boot. Prices are cheap enough you can buy extras just in case you might need one in that length someday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back