PlayStation-Fi
Apr 10, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #136 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just look at the way ps1 games are emulated on windows based PCs... heck even PS2 games run pretty good now
biggrin.gif

thats emulating whatever ps2 processor there was and converting it over to x86 instructions in real time... not to mention emulating ps2 graphics with D3D or OpenGL.. its pretty awesome stuff when you think about it.

I'm sure Sony could pull it off without a problem on the 40gb model, maybe their strategy is just to get people who already own a 40gb to buy another system later on with full BC.

Oh no doubt it can. The 40 GB unit has to perform as well as the others right? Else it would not sell. Sooo...there is no real reason they could not load the emulation software in the future with a firmware update. Will they? Another matter altogether, it is Sony afterall
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #137 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no doubt it can. The 40 GB unit has to perform as well as the others right? Else it would not sell. Sooo...there is no real reason they could not load the emulation software in the future with a firmware update. Will they? Another matter altogether, it is Sony afterall
biggrin.gif

the 40gb are for people who cant afford a full luxury one (with more hdd space, with more usb slots, with a real chrome trim).

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #138 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 40gb are for people who cant afford a full luxury one (with more hdd space, with more usb slots, with a real chrome trim).

Oh very true, not unlike the original 20 GB unit without all the extra slots and wifi. Now then, any model must be able to play PS3 games else it won't sell, so given that regardless of the die size, the power of the cell-processor will easily run any PS2 game emulated. This "castrated" 40GB unit then could be without the software at present but a quick loading of the software and voila! Instant backwards compatibility!

I think the 40GB is the best deal in all of the console market at this point, mainly because of its media server/blu-ray application.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #139 of 259
the only reason I didn't get the 80gb model was because Circuit City and BB were only selling 40gb units. I just used the money I saved to get some games and movies, I wasn't about to wait till june to pick up some mythical bundle that may or may not be backwards compatible.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #140 of 259
Just a quick question, say if the PS3 is connected to TV via HDMI cable, if I plug the optical out from PS3 to Optical In of my amp, will the sound come out from the amp, and will it decrease the video quality because there are 2 connections running at the same time?

This is very stupid question I know, but I know nothing about HDMI connection.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #141 of 259
It shouldn't decrease video quality. I have my video signal running through a HDMI to DVI cable, and my audio going through the optical cable, and everything is fine. You do have to go to your setup and select the optical out for the ps3 to send the audio through it instead of the HDMI cable though.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #142 of 259
It shouldn't do any harm to the HDMI connection at all. HDMI's got high enough bandwidth so that it can carry HD audio on top of HD video. All you're doing is freeing some of those bandwidth leaving all the more bandwidth for video signal to transfer through.

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #143 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All you're doing is freeing some of those bandwidth leaving all the more bandwidth for video signal to transfer through.

Disabling HDMI audio won't increase HDMI video bandwidth as HDMI audio/auxiliary signals are sent during blanking intervals where no video data is being transmitted.

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #144 of 259
Now can I have the audio running through both HDMI and optical out (not selecting the option to use audio from optical) at the same time?

So that means the TV is playing with sound, and the optical out (say connected to headphone amp) also playing with sound using headphone?

And say if I can, will this decrease the audio quality at all?

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #145 of 259
Apr 12, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #146 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disabling HDMI audio won't increase HDMI video bandwidth as HDMI audio/auxiliary signals are sent during blanking intervals where no video data is being transmitted.

Thanks for pointing that out, although I was only explaining in a simple, understandable term. My point was to say that it won't harm the HDMI connection.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #148 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But can I have the audio coming from both HDMI (TV's speakers) and from optical out at the same time? (eg. connected to headphone amp)

No, but for some reason I made it working one time accidentally. It's made to output 1 audio stream at a time but at for some reason it worked for me. Try it maybe you'll get lucky.

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #149 of 259
Quote:

* Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.

I tried this out for the first time today and it is pretty cool. If you have a PSP and a PS3, you can connect the two over any wireless connection using Remote Play. Usually, you would want the audio to come out of the PSP when you are accessing media on your PS3, but in some cases you would rather have the audio come out of the PS3 instead and now you have that option.

Using the PSP you can pull up any number of files stored on the PS3 or being served to the PS3 via Tversity (or other server) running on a computer. As a result, you can use the PSP as a remote to select the music you want to hear and it will play it back via the PS3. I much prefer this to using the PSP with a program like Slimserver feeding a Roku. The main reason is because the interface, while nothing special, is a lot faster. The PSP will play the visualizer on its screen while music is played from your PS3 to receiver/amp setup. This is a great idea by Sony.

As a side note, I recently discovered that the PS3 EYE will allow you to connect via remote play from any wireless point and see what is going on at home using the chat feature. While video quality is nothing special and it does not fill the entire screen, it is still a cool way to check out your home while you are away using a PSP.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #150 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now can I have the audio running through both HDMI and optical out (not selecting the option to use audio from optical) at the same time?

So that means the TV is playing with sound, and the optical out (say connected to headphone amp) also playing with sound using headphone?

And say if I can, will this decrease the audio quality at all?

The is a youtube video that shows how to do this:

YouTube - PS3 - Dual Audio (HDMI + Optical)

I have never tried it, but I might in the future. I am looking into getting a better outboard DAC, so for music, I would probablly prefer optical to dac and for movies, HDMI to receiver. Not sure how it will work with a receiver as opposed to using a TV. Hopefully, Sony will allow us to use both at the same time without the tricks in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back