PlayStation-Fi
Apr 6, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #106 of 259
My ps3 just died.
frown.gif
I called sony up and after 30mins on hold and 10mins on the phone they finally told me to send it back to sony for an exchange. Now I will be without my PS3 for 3~4 weeks. How would I waste my time now without my ps3?
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #107 of 259
was it a 60gb ps3 that died on you?

what exactly happened? did you update to the latest firmware beforehand.. or are you using 2.17?

I know that firmware 2.17 caused some issues especially after some people tried to play regular dvds, have you tried a hard reset?

Apr 6, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #108 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by circuithero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Prologue work with the g25?

Yes it does, in GT5 Prologue there is a setting where you can adjust ps3 controler or G25. It clearly says G25 in options menu so I assume it has to work if there are settings for it. I was thinking about geting G25 but its a little bit overpriced for me.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #109 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was it a 60gb ps3 that died on you?

what exactly happened? did you update to the latest firmware beforehand.. or are you using 2.17?

I know that firmware 2.17 caused some issues especially after some people tried to play regular dvds, have you tried a hard reset?

It's my 40GB version with the latest firmware on; I belive it's 2.20.

It first started as a simple freeze while playing game so I though it was maybe due to overheating and the fan not working but everything was working fine, it wasn't overheating and the fan was working fine. I made sure by playing some demos that were based from harddrive which worked perfectly. But then it started freezing more and more. You can hear the disc drive sttutering. Then, after two days of showing it's "illness", it finally stoped reading any game discs.

I've checked other forums before calling sony up and I found out that this does happen quite often to many people. I'm guessing it's the blueray drive that's at fault. Some of the people were able to fix their problems by doing a fresh format and putting the player in default setting but I'd rather get a brand new spankin' PS3 than try to workaround the crappy produced unit.

I thought these kind of things only happen on XBOX 360.
confused.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #110 of 259
wow, thats terrible. I hope you get that resolved soon.

So can you hear your hard drive clicking when you try to run something off of it?? I have a 40gb PS3 too and I am going to upgrade the drive to a 200gb Seagate momentus.

From the one person that I know that has had to send theirs in for repairs(it was a 60gb) he was quoted four weeks but received it in two.

Even if you could resolve the problem youself, you're right, I'd rather have Sony fix it altogether.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #111 of 259
I'm almost certain that it's not hard drive. I've dealt with enough computers so I know what kind of sounds they make and it wasn't one of them. Plus, when I tried all the downloaded demos they worked fine so it can't be the hard drive that's at fault. I rather think it's the blueray drive that's causing the trouble. It sounds exactly like a disc is being read, just, over and over and over and over again constantly until you turn the whole thing off.

If I remeber correctly they use a cheapo Lite-on blueray drive rather than pioneer or Sony (what??) to keep the price down. (I should note that Lite-on makes some nice cd-rom drives)

I wonder if I can still purchase an extended warrantee. It may be worth it cuz I don't want to see my $500.00 investment turn into a useless junk just because of some cheapo blueray drive.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #112 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using it with XP for quite some time with my older network DVD player (IO DATA Linkplayer) and now with my PS3 and have never found it to be unstable. You probably did not have it setup properly.

Thanks for the vote of confidence
tongue.gif
What works on one system is not necessarily going to be full proof on another given hardware differences. I think I know my way around software just a wee little bit. I had it set up just fine. I am not alone complaining about its instability. Read through forums and you will discover this for yourself. Fuppes does it for me and it is free as well, and it is multiplatform so my DB can be read no matter what OS I am using. Far better than a locked down Windows-only server.

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #113 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my 40GB version with the latest firmware on; I belive it's 2.20.

It first started as a simple freeze while playing game so I though it was maybe due to overheating and the fan not working but everything was working fine, it wasn't overheating and the fan was working fine. I made sure by playing some demos that were based from harddrive which worked perfectly. But then it started freezing more and more. You can hear the disc drive sttutering. Then, after two days of showing it's "illness", it finally stoped reading any game discs.

I've checked other forums before calling sony up and I found out that this does happen quite often to many people. I'm guessing it's the blueray drive that's at fault. Some of the people were able to fix their problems by doing a fresh format and putting the player in default setting but I'd rather get a brand new spankin' PS3 than try to workaround the crappy produced unit.

I thought these kind of things only happen on XBOX 360.
confused.gif

When I sent in my unit (I'm in Canada so we have the luxury of a 3 day turnover total turnaround, that is 1 day travel both ways), they not only replaced my HD which was dead but they also replaced the Blu-Ray drive. I'm wondering if you are correct that the drive may be flaky and so they just opt to replace them when they come in "just in case." Hopefully this fixes your problem, I didn't think I liked my PS3 as much as I do until it was gone.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #114 of 259
It's really painful because I use my PS3 as my hub for all media and games. My daily movie watching (blueray) has gone to mist and I miss crushing my friends on COD4 online.

Oh well, it's time to practice on my guitar I guess.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #116 of 259
hello everyone (first post)

I'm planning to do this:

buy a SCPH:90000 PS2 (latest model, announced nov 07) + the USB HDD bootdisc that lets you run games off a USB Harddrive

wait for the PS3 refresh expected later this year, and buy it

this way, I can play all the backup PS2 games I want without having to wait for an unlikely crack for the PS3 or worry about emulation.

my question is: is it better to wait for the expected refresh, or to buy a 60GB PS3 while I still have a chance?

keep in mind that the updated version will probably have lots of design flaws sorted out, be smaller and lighter, quieter, and more reliable. Also, it will ship with the DS3 instead of the sixaxis you get with the 60GB.

thanks,
IK

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #118 of 259
afaik, it's still all speculation

but I'm pretty confident that they will refresh it

they've already switched from 90nm to 65nm chips

so they now have the opportunity to use a smaller cooling system

which allows them to use a smaller case

smaller size + lower weight = reduced cost

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #119 of 259
I've read they are going with two SKU's, a 120 GB and a 160 GB model but mainly based on the 80 with smaller cpu. So...bigger HD, software emulation and smaller cpu for about 400. Not too bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #120 of 259
If you think all those benefits are well worthier than the pleasure you'll get out of playing/watching PS3 in that waiting time, then wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back