PlayStation-Fi
Jun 30, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #166 of 259
I'm getting PS3 just to play Metal Gear Solid 4.
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #167 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting PS3 just to play Metal Gear Solid 4.
biggrin.gif

And you wouldn't disappoint.
wink.gif

I'm playing it for the second round and after that I'll probably play for the hardcore level. It's cool because after each completion you're given some bonuses to better equip you for the higher difficulty play.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #170 of 259
Also, can someone please explain the whole 1080i thing with the PS3? My TV supports 1080p so is this something I should worry about?

I currently have my PS3 set so that NTSC, 720p, and 1080p are the only supported resolutions and with the three PS3 games that I have played have all run at either 720p or 1080p.

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #172 of 259
Well, I've had mine for a little over the week. It has upgraded once in that time and that was right after I had set-up the internet connection and it found the available update.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #173 of 259
Quote:

I have Samsung LCD screen as well ! It's to go with my PS3. By the way, does PS3's firmware need to be constantly updated like PSP ?

They have an update every couple of months or so. Of course, you can disconnect your PS3 from the web and skip the updates. You would have missed out on the lossless movie soundtracks, the PC to PS3 media streaming, Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE), the ability to upscale your DVDs to 1080p, etc... Not sure why anyone would not want the updates..
confused.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #175 of 259
Quote:

Do PS3 games contain updates for the console ? I was afraid it might ended up like my PSP, it froze when updating firmware, and the whole thing died.

I do not own a ton of games, but I am guessing the MGS and GTA have some sort of update because they take a long time to load the first time. Not sure what happens if you load one of these games when you are disconnected from the web.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #177 of 259
MGS4 takes a long time to load the first time because it is actually doing an install of game files. It is loading common files like textures and models to improve load times while playing. The install is like 4GB, too.

I just started GTA4 last night and it did take a long time with the first load but I'm not sure if that was an install or an update.

The last game I have, Burnout Paradise definitely required an update.

So, I'm 3 for 3 on games requiring an install/update.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #178 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, can someone please explain the whole 1080i thing with the PS3? My TV supports 1080p so is this something I should worry about?

I currently have my PS3 set so that NTSC, 720p, and 1080p are the only supported resolutions and with the three PS3 games that I have played have all run at either 720p or 1080p.

1080i output won't be an issue for you at all with your TV. But there are lots of older HDTVs (typically CRTs) which only support 1080i or 480P (i.e. no 720P or 1080P) as an input which means if the PS3 game being played doesn't support 1080i, you'll only be able to play the game at 480P which is essentially reverting back to PS2 resolution (i.e. why bother).

For that reason the list of games which support 1080i is a big deal to some people that have TVs which only take 1080i for HD inputs...

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #179 of 259
Quote:

Do PS3 games contain updates for the console ? I was afraid it might ended up like my PSP, it froze when updating firmware, and the whole thing died.

Nope. Game discs don't contain any console firmwares for PS3. Firmware update is only offered through internet. You have to download it to install. So far, I've never heard anybody having problem while updating firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back