PlayStation-Fi
Jul 9, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #196 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony's version of the gamerstag is sooo stupid; Xbox Live is way ahead. But the only problem is xbox live isn't free, so I guess you get what you pay for. I own all the consoles right now (ds, psp, wii, xbox360, ps3) and I think the 360 is the best for serious gamers. This firmware is nice, but it's not even close to the feature rich Live!

Sorry had to rant, I was really looking forward to this firmware update, but it's nothing major.

oooooooooooooooooooo k
biggrin.gif

rant all you want, please
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #197 of 259
I hope they announce the white 40GB with DS3 at E3... there are rumors of a new SKU, and I hope that's it.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #198 of 259
I imagine any new SKU from now on will have the DS3.

In all honesty, the only reason why I like the DS3 controller better is because it's heavier. I could care less about the rumble.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #199 of 259
I have owned PS and PS2 for only one thing: Gran Turismo.
smily_headphones1.gif

The PS3 will get into my possession sooner or later (Or very much later) after the Gran Turismo 5 is out. I'm not so good driver though. I just happen to like the game.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #200 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned PS and PS2 for only one thing: Gran Turismo.
smily_headphones1.gif

The PS3 will get into my possession sooner or later (Or very much later) after the Gran Turismo 5 is out. I'm not so good driver though. I just happen to like the game.

If that's the case you should get Logitech G25. It will multiply that fun 10x.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #202 of 259
No problem. The only thing that is not sweet about that is the price tag of $200+. But it's made from good material from real leather and metal pedals
biggrin.gif
. It's really a recommendation for enthusiast alike and you should get a cockpit too which I have also which makes it into more simulation. The only thing that is missing is the G forces, other than that it's 99.00% identical than the real car counterpart.

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #203 of 259
Jesus. I bet they're missing something though. The feedback of the linkage and transmission in a stick shift. Ya know, the threshold resistance before it finally slots into gear. A real car doesn't have just an H pattern and slide in like some arcade game. It has a physical resistance before engaging. Wonder if that things has that. Maybe the mechanical feedback of not pressing in the clutch and trying to pull it out of gear (will it grind gears in a game if you shift without using the clutch?). Or the feedback/vibration of the shift lever when actually just driving around.

Maybe that's more like 80% now
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #204 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jesus. I bet they're missing something though. The feedback of the linkage and transmission in a stick shift. Ya know, the threshold resistance before it finally slots into gear. A real car doesn't have just an H pattern and slide in like some arcade game. It has a physical resistance before engaging. Wonder if that things has that. Maybe the mechanical feedback of not pressing in the clutch and trying to pull it out of gear (will it grind gears in a game if you shift without using the clutch?). Or the feedback/vibration of the shift lever when actually just driving around.

Maybe that's more like 80% now
tongue.gif

LOL I was talking about the physics of the car. But it doesn't have resistance on the shift. It doesn't stall if you just press gas without releasing the clutch. It doesn't drop a transmission if you shove it to the 1st gear from 5th. But then again, none of the games are except with a very little exception of Live for Speed.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #206 of 259
I'm looking for a BT headset to use when playing CoD4, preferably something under $25. Any recommendations?

My only constraint is that it should be earplug only, without a loop that goes behind the ear because I wear glasses and am playing with headphones on most of the time.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #207 of 259
Well, Sony's E3 was pretty disappointing, I already expected GoWIII and an FPS on the PSP doesn't really interest me. (Console limitations) The new BC-less 80GB with Dual Shock 3 (supposedly) looks good, I already have a PS2. But cmon, give me a white one!

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #208 of 259
Anyone here from Japan? How much does a PS3 cost there? I mean at an average store in Tokyo. Coz my dad's going there on buisness so I'd thought he'd buy me a PS3 there.
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, what's the difference between PAL, NTSC and whatever there is in Japan?
10x

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #209 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here from Japan? How much does a PS3 cost there? I mean at an average store in Tokyo. Coz my dad's going there on buisness so I'd thought he'd buy me a PS3 there.
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, what's the difference between PAL, NTSC and whatever there is in Japan?
10x

America uses NTSC, Europe uses PAL, Japan uses NTSC-J. NTSC was the original standard and runs at 60 Hz. PAL came later and fixed most of NTSC's issues. It runs at 50 Hz and comes with a nifty design change that pretty much eliminated chroma aberrations. NTSC-J is a variation of NTSC with a different brightness level setting. NTSC and NTSC-J are intercompatible with only a slight change to brightness needed to compensate. PAL is not compatible with either.

If you are using HD output (component or HDMI), compatibility is a non-issue for you. Also, many newer TVs will take either NTSC or PAL input so you may not have an issue even though you would be using an NTSC-J unit in a PAL territory. However, if you aren't using an HD output and don't have an NTSC compatible TV, a Japanese PS3 would leave you out of luck.

Other possible issues are that any PS1/PS2 games you have will not work since those are region locked. Also, updates may be funky as your PS3 will report back to Sony as a Japanese region PS3, so you'll receive updates from that region. Same for online gaming. You also won't be able to play PAL region DVDs, will be region locked for Blu-Ray, and a whole set of possible issues related to service (read: no warranty or repair for you). Really, the only gray market console I'd even think about in your situation would be the HK PS3. I believe those are the only consoles that are 220-240V compatible and can play both NTSC and PAL materials due to an oddity in HK's NTSC/PAL situation.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #210 of 259
I agree with the PS3 being mainly a Gran Turismo device... but,....
you've gotta throw Metal Gear Solid 4 in there too. In fact, those are really the two games I bought the system for. Yes, Metal Gear is here...
but, we'll be waiting until late... late 2009 if we're lucky for GT5. Prologue is really great though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back