Playstation 3 backwards compatible
Jun 4, 2008 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
So I did a google search and can't find a decent answer. So I figured I'd delve into this vast database of knowledge.

What is the deal with PS3 backwards compatibility with PS1/PS2 games? The guy at Gamestop said it only works with the 60gb and 80gb models...

can anyone help with this?

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 34
The 40GB model is not backwards compatible. I think it's because of the hardware differences between the 40GB PS3 and the PS1/PS2.
The 60/80GB models are backwards compatible. (Probably because they use more similar hardware.)

You can check the backwards compatible games on Sony's website:
PlayStation.com

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 34
i forget which, but even with the ps3's that are backwards compatible, it is only with some games. this is because it uses an emulator, not an actual running of the game (if that makes sense)

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #4 of 34
20GB and 60GB have the best backwards compatibility
80GB model is backwards compatible but fewer games are supported than on the older models
40GB is only backwards compatible with PS1 games

the thing is if sony actually took the time to have a development team work on it they could have a functional emulator for the 40GB version...

though i'd rather see them fix a number of issues with the online features (they can start with not pausing downloads when watching dvds and blurays)

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 34
Just to clarify a little more - the original 60GB models had a PS2 chip on them which provided the best compatibility. The 80GB dropped that chip and offered emulation to cut costs & the 40GB just totally dropped any support.

Ironically the 80GB is not being sold anymore so Sony currently isn't shipping a PS3 that can play PS2 games. Rumors abound about a new 80GB model showing up in June as part of a new game bundle though. I've been holding off on a PS3 purchase waiting for the new bundle since PS2 compatibility is important to me.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rumors abound about a new 80GB model showing up in June as part of a new game bundle though.

June 12th...the MGS4 80GB pack will be out.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuckymucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
June 12th...the MGS4 80GB pack will be out.

Thanks for the date - now I just need to decide if I rush out to buy or wait for Costco to bundle it with an extra controller etc. Hmmm....

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 34
20GB probably has best compatibility, cause of the EE chip.
this is same as the 60GB.

80GB has emulation as compatibility, so it might not work with some games.

40GB has no emulation at all, so it does not work with ps2 games at all.

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rumors abound about a new 80GB model showing up in June as part of a new game bundle though.

yeah the MGS4 bundle... i'd laugh if it's just the 40GB hardware with an 80GB HD

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 34
holy cow - you think that article has enough references?
wink.gif
. i really went out of my way to purchase a 60GB system specifically for backward compatibility with the PS2 in the hopes that the games would look better on the PS3. i have to say that i was somewhat disappointed with the look of the PS2 games. now anytime anyone brings up the PS2 backward compatibility argument, i just ask them - "what is wrong with the PS2 you already have?"
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 34
you have updated your firmware right? i remember hearing the early firmware making ps2 games look ugly

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 34
I don't understand why, if the PS3 has teh uber awesomez phenomenal cosmic power, it can't emulate the PS2 in software and run PS2 games BETTER than the PS2 itself.

Lots of PS2 games like shadow of the colossus, ZOE2, and MGS3 suffer slowdown when played on the PS2. Apparently they do on the PS3 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back