Playstation 3 backwards compatible
Jun 16, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #31 of 34
I can't wait to watch a blu ray movie and play a PS3 game on my new 1080p plasma. The Wii looks excellent in 480p/ws mode with the TV upsampling to 1080p though, as do standard DVDs. If the high definition channels I am picking up for free over the air are any indication of the quality, I will be very happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

It also seems to work excellent as a monitor for my computer, despite all the plasma monitor naysayers, though at 1920x1080 the text is too small. Forget the exact resolution I'm using, but it looks great.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 34
Sure can, Basically, the 60g model uses a chip that allows it to be backwards compatible, reading most ps2 and ps1 games. The problem was it was too expensive for Sony to produce those chips, so on the 80G, you can download a software upgrade, that is essentially an emulator, running most ps2 and ps1 games. The 40g is not backwards compatible in any way shape or form. Hope that helps.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #33 of 34
I purchased a 40gb unit a few weeks ago. I haven't had a console since the PS1 and my only game on that was Gran Turismo 2, so backwards compatibility wasn't a huge draw for me.

The fact that I'll be in the second year of my Master's program starting in September means I probably won't have much time even for the few PS3 titles I currently own anyway.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #34 of 34
PS2 being unscaled to 1080p didn't impress me much. Somehow I still like playing ps2 games on an old crt at 480i. (Too many jaggies when i upscale)
I would say if you have a ps2 then there's no need to get a 60GB/80GB with B/C. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back