Playstation 3 backwards compatible
Jun 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

What I don't understand is, why the heck you wanna play PS2 games if you have PS3, and if you do, why the heck didn't you keep your PS2??

I'm not sure how other people do things, but I'm not going to just up and stop playing my favorite games because there is a new console generation out. They will still need playing and why keep multiple consoles plugged in? And if I'm going to spend $400 on some super awesome cell processor gigaflop wonder cruncher, it only makes sense that it should be able to play them better than a 300MHz console from eight years ago.

Good games from previous console generations are still good games, and will continue to be probably after many of these current generation games are forgotten. Heck, go to Gamefaqs....the FFVII message board still has over twice the active messages than the GTA:SA board. That's a PS1 game.

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I don't understand is, why the heck you wanna play PS2 games if you have PS3, and if you do, why the heck didn't you keep your PS2??

because my ps2 is broken. the ps2 still has many great games i've never played and would want the option to play them. at the same time, a ps3 would be a great upgrade as it looks incredible and is the system that has new games coming out. you'd think sony could support it's own products.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have updated your firmware right? i remember hearing the early firmware making ps2 games look ugly

of course - the thing won't let you do squat until you update to the latest blah blah blah firmware
biggrin.gif
. really a bummer if you are wanting to watch a blu-ray or play a game right now.

to answer the question about why not just use the PS2 - i'm on the fence on that one. as i stated above, why not just use the PS2 that i already have, which is fine if you don't mind extra equipment cluttering up the place. the original goal was for the PS2 games to actually look better than on the PS2 since the PS3 is obviously more capable in the video output department. turns out - not so much...

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #19 of 34
I don't know how much extra it costs the manufacturer to make the console backward compatible, but if by removing the compatibility means cheaper current console, I don't mind at all. Because I can pick up used PS2 console dirt cheap anyway if I want to.

But as far as I know the 1st gen PS3 (60GB one?) allows you to play PS2 games, so you guys thinking to play PS2 games on PS3 maybe should look out for that one?
I've seen some on eBay hovering near a grand price...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 34
For me I want to use my existing PS2 on another TV, but would like to have access to the existing PS2 games on the main gaming system. Plus it's more convenient to only have 1 game system hooked up to the main TV than two, although if I didn't have a use for the PS2 elsewhere, I'd likely break down and just hook up both.

Eventually I'd expect to stop playing PS2 games on the PS3 after enough years to build up a game library, but until then the PS2 emulation is nice to have...

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why, if the PS3 has teh uber awesomez phenomenal cosmic power, it can't emulate the PS2 in software and run PS2 games BETTER than the PS2 itself.

Lots of PS2 games like shadow of the colossus, ZOE2, and MGS3 suffer slowdown when played on the PS2. Apparently they do on the PS3 as well.

I think the 80GB model does use software emulation, but if dual core PCs with DX10 graphics cards require all their muscle to (sometimes, barely) emulate the PS2, then the PS3 should have similar difficulty, even though the sony programmers know all the top secret info about the ps2. Remember that when you are given a closed system (the ps2) to program, optimisation and other trickery can be taken to a whole new level!

edit: even the 60GB does software emu, only the 20GB has the actual chip included.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: even the 60GB does software emu, only the 20GB has the actual chip included.

From what I've read, the 60GB and 20GB PS3's both have the Emotion Chip.

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 34
Okay here it is in the most simple list format I can think of:

Full backwards compatibiliy because of HARDWARE in the form of the emotion chip, ie. PS2 chip built in.

20 GB Japan, North America
60 GB Japan, North America

Nearly full backwards compatibility because of SOFTWARE in the form of emulation suite.

60 GB Europe
80 GB Japan, North America, Europe

No backwards compatibility at all. Lacks hardware and software (though a firmware upgrade would solve this)

40 GB everywhere

Regarding the original 20 and 60 GB units, they too could run via software emulation with a firmware upgrade, but why bother when the emotion chip does a better job
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the 60GB does have the chip on board - this was the main reason that i sought out this particular model long after production had ceased.

edit: yea - what Zanth said
biggrin.gif

although the original hardware chip is still not fully backwards compatible. Sony's KB of compatibility issues is separated by 60GB and 80GB (hardware and software): PlayStation.com

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynagroove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy cow - you think that article has enough references?
wink.gif
. i really went out of my way to purchase a 60GB system specifically for backward compatibility with the PS2 in the hopes that the games would look better on the PS3. i have to say that i was somewhat disappointed with the look of the PS2 games. now anytime anyone brings up the PS2 backward compatibility argument, i just ask them - "what is wrong with the PS2 you already have?"
biggrin.gif

Under system settings there is a PS2 area where you can smooth out the PS2 games by some form of interpolation. I never had a PS2 but the PS2 games I do have look good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

God of War II
FFX
FFXII

Those games alone make it worthwhile for me. Some games were never released on the PS3 and won't ever be. The expansive library of PS2 games is daunting and cheap. Great way to spend $5-10 bucks. GOW II was released while PS3 games were released. It is the last PS2-only game. I don't own the PS2 but I want to play the game
smily_headphones1.gif

Sony has released quite a few statements indicating that they won't concentrate on emulation anymore nor will they concentrate on PS2 games. It's PS3 all the way despite the PS2 being the most ubiquitous console in the world. I'm quite pleased that when I heard this I raced out to get a 60GB unit. It's dead simple to expand the storage with either USB externals or just swapping in a 250 or 320 GB 2.5" drive. But that emotion chip...mmmm oh yeah
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 34
Those slim PS2's can be had so cheaply second hand that it isn't really an issue anyways... unless your space is at a premium.

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynagroove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although the original hardware chip is still not fully backwards compatible. Sony's KB of compatibility issues is separated by 60GB and 80GB (hardware and software): PlayStation.com

True, but from recent reports we are in the 99% range for HW support vs. 90-96% sofware. Considering the 60 could easily do software emulation with a firmware upgrade...we would see a few more nines there...99.99%? That would be cool. For the big games though, both should work just fine.

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under system settings there is a PS2 area where you can smooth out the PS2 games by some form of interpolation. I never had a PS2 but the PS2 games I do have look good.

i've tried any and all options available to try and make PS2 games look better. true, the smoothing does help, but the games still don't look as good as i was hoping. i also have to mention that i upgraded TVs at the same time the PS3 was bought. a bunch of my old consoles won't even run on the new TV except in PiP mods
biggrin.gif
. so i think at least partially i was expecting too much. 1080P does look amazing though
smily_headphones1.gif

jeff h

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #29 of 34
I'm jealous. I'm still on a CRT 480p...I'd LOVE to have a 1080p. A coupla more years before that happens though. Still, given your set, I can completely understand why the PS2 games don't look wonderful. On a set like that, any flaw will be noticeable. At least you have gorgeous PS3 games
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back