Planar Magnetic suggestions
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

rotaspeed

Head-Fier
Hey there guys, just recently started getting into audiophile gear. Currently have a magni 3 and a topping d10 with a pair of dt770 80ohms with brainwavz pads. Looking for some planar magnetics since i hear that their bass is usually superior. Any suggestions that hopefully dont go over the 400-500 range new or used?

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 59
i have been eyeing the he-4xx for a while but was just seeing if there were anymore options out there since im willing to spend just a little bit more
For me, I haven't been truly satisfied with a Planar headphone. Something about them has always left me wanting more, mainly in sub bass. I have tried the Monoprice M560, Hifiman 400i and 4xx. I sold them all. I am picky but do know what I like. Brainwavz Alara is the last chance I'm giving planar, personally, since it is supposed to be a bassier Planar. Gets delivered to me tomorrow.

Planars to me have a dynamic but more neutral take on everything. Albeit, my majority of listening is with HiFiman but that's what I gather along with reading others reviews. Starting with something like the 4xx or even the 35X could give you a general idea of what planar sounds is about for not too much money.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 59
IMO the only advantage dynamic headphones have over planar magnetic one's is the bass and treble is more extended. Dynamic headphones have more presence in the 15-25Hz region and also 15-20KHz region. Otherwise, I would say that planar is better. I recently bought the Fostex TH500RP and it is the second most natural sounding headphone I have ever heard (second only to the Sony MDR7510). However, the only true advantage the MDR7510 has over the TH500RP is deeper bass and more detailed, clearer in the 15-20Khz frequencies.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 59
Mar 27, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 59
Hey there guys, just recently started getting into audiophile gear. Currently have a Magni 3 and a topping d10 with a pair of dt770 80ohms with Brainwavz pads. Looking for some planar magnetics since i hear that their bass is usually superior. Any suggestions that hopefully don't go over the 400-500 range new or used?
You might consider checking out the Fostex T60-RP or heavy modified Fostex T50-RP headphones.
I bought the Massdrop T50-RP, which I guess only had the (half-way decent) ear pad upgrade.
Good value, for it's price
And I've been temped to get the more full on upgrades for my T50-RP.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 59

Users who are viewing this thread

Back