Placebo
Jan 6, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 104
I had this great idea for shaving patches on cat's fur. Then you could get several cats, run them under a stylus, and you should get music ala the player piano. Only it would be player cats. And everybody knows that organic catmeat will sound 10,000x better than vinyl for the reproduction of music.

(I felt that if I just typed 'IBTL' it would be a waste of a perfectly good thread post. This will likely be archived on some harddrive in some building and archeologists will uncover it in 634 years. And historians will say "Those internet people were so wasteful! They had an entire post to say anything and everything they wanted, but only wrote 'IBTL' or '+1' or 'TEH SEXY!'. Its not like typing cost money. They could have published volumes, given precise histories and testing methodologies, written up grocery lists, or listed family trees."

Rival historians will counter this arguement with their belief that primitive peoples of 2008AD simply didn't have the brainpower to make use of available space [it should be noted that by 2011 scientists will have been able to encode some 11 terabytes of information into a single chromosomal compound. Future space research will involve encoding all of mankinds knowledge into a lab-grown mouse, freeze drying the mouse, and then sending it through space. In theory it would work like the 'golden record' only containing several hundred million times as much data. Plus everyone knows that a dead mouse lasts pretty much forever anyway even without freezedrying and being shot through space which is typically 260 degrees below zero.] and that our simple brains worked best with short written statements. This is mistakenly attributed to the only surviving piece of 20th century technology will be a cellphone that a 13 year old girl had been using to text her friends about her oppressive step-parents.

mouse.jpg

(a brown mouse. It contains 35 grams of masticated corn and some 650,000 pages of unabridged Harry Potter gay fan-fiction.)

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is mistakenly attributed to the only surviving piece of 20th century technology will be a cellphone that a 13 year old girl had been using to text her friends about her oppressive step-parents.

You silly, the first texting-capable cellphone was picked in an African jungle in 2001, hardly the 20th century.

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #18 of 104
Or you could even include incredibly tiny novels along with your post. Check this out, its a mystery novel that involves royalty, sex, and scandal.

"I'm pregnant!" said the Queen. "I wonder who the father could be?".
(see, its a line long and makes every post worth reading).

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #19 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You silly, the first texting-capable cellphone was picked in an African jungle in 2001, hardly the 20th century.

Thats why its "surviving technology". In the future people won't know about Africa's organic cellphones of that Ford invented a car that got 230 miles to a gallon of gas.

Not that future-people would want such a car. After the invention of the Harley-Davidson™ HRS© organically fueled all-terrain biological quadrobike, cars will become obsolete and billions of gallons of unused gasoline will collect in rusting tanks along roadways until the structures fail, filling the highways with explosive liquids that poison 90% of the nations soybean crop, a vital fuel for the HRSes.
warhorse.jpg

(A 2025 Harley-Davidson HRS quadrobike and biker. Note the extra chrome the owner has installed at great expense).

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 104
As long as different people receive different signals to their brain with different set of ears when listening to the exact same setup, there will be arguments. Omega had a few good points about going with common concensus. And I'll add: pick and choose who you trust (everyone here has a few ppl they will trust implicitly WRT audio), and not spitting the dummy if something doesn't work out how you expected. It's just a hobby. If you're THAT worried about it, make full use of money back garantees and simply listen to everything you can with your own ears. Yours are the only ones that matter.

I find the lack of perspective a rather large problem. As long as there are people who've only heard a particular subset of the gear available, there will always be people out there thinking they know what is best (for themselves and (sadly) for others). A friend of mine calls it "frog in the hole". If you are a frog in the hole, you can see the little spot of sunlight at the top of the well/hole, and that's all you've ever seen so it's the best thing in the world to you. Now imagine if that frog was actually pulled out of the well and allowed to sit in the sunshine with the singing birds yada yada. It completely blows away his previous perspective of 'good', which is now useless because the goalposts have completely changed. Lotta frogs on here
smily_headphones1.gif
It's those who realise their gear isn't the be all and end all that are a bit more sensible than the others posting wild comments cos they don't want to admit they didn't need to buy that expensive cable or superduper battery etc.

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #21 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could even include incredibly tiny novels along with your post. Check this out, its a mystery novel that involves royalty, sex, and scandal.

"I'm pregnant!" said the Queen. "I wonder who the father could be?".
(see, its a line long and makes every post worth reading).

How about this one? It's got religion, politics, and gun violence:

"Oh God!" she exclaimed, "the senator's been shot!"

okay I've had my fun and I'm going to bed now. hopefully this thread won't get into the usual stupid heated cable argument, but I doubt that.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #23 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx
I know I don't have a tin ear, my hearing is checked regularly and as far I know its perfect, and yet I am able to hear so little of what others are ranting and raving about so often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx
yep, I have a tiny bit of tinnitus when all is completely quiet.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2911439-post7.html

????

Yep. If you personally don't hear something with your perfect hearing, then there's absolutely no way anyone else could possibly hear anything differently and be right.

I'm not saying you don't have a general point, as I agree that people can sometimes be affected by placebo, peer pressure, pre-conceptions, or whatever, and for any number of reasons believe they hear things that may or may not be there .... but before writing everyone else's experiences off as completely bogus with such broad rigid strokes and declaring yourself the supreme judge of what's true and what isn't, it might be a good idea to recognize and acknowledge that your reality isn't necessarily the definitive truth, and what you believe you can or cannot hear can also just as easily be affected by peer influence and/or pre-conception ( such as "my hearing's perfect" or "I know there's no difference" ) just as much as those you don't agree with ..... not to mention the fact that everyone's hearing and the way their mind works is different.

You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, to make such a hard and fast proclamation that "i'm right and all those who differ from what I've decided is right, are wrong", is wrong. A little more flexibility and openness to other's opinions and experiences will probably get all of us a little closer to the truth most of the time.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #25 of 104
After spending too much time worrying about what I was hearing or not hearing, I realized I wasn't even listening to the actual music anymore. So it's back to buying music for me.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #26 of 104
I've never heard it myself and I call placebo.

Most people think they have excellent audio memory, I'm betting it's a lot worse than they believe. I'd go so far as to say that if you left the room for a pee, I could swap your cables out for Rat Shack equivalents and you wouldn't even notice.

biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #27 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most people think they have excellent audio memory, I'm betting it's a lot worse than they believe. I'd go so far as to say that if you left the room for a pee, I could swap your cables out for Rat Shack equivalents and you wouldn't even notice.

biggrin.gif

That sounds like a good experiment... Someone should try it at a meet.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #28 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds like a good experiment... Someone should try it at a meet.

Non scientific, too much ambient noise, I wasn't ready, I was listening to another system, it was an unfamiliar CD etc. etc.
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #29 of 104
Quote:

Please define "it". Are you referring to everything or only specific things? The OP mentions more than just cables. He also says he can't hear a difference between different generation iPods either...inferring that anyone who claims they can, is wrong...case closed. Can you hear any differences between iPods? Have you atually tried .... with a truly open mind? Can you hear any differences between amplifiers? Between headphones?

I personally can't tell the difference between any cables I've ever owned and tested on my systems. But I'm not going to 100% deny the possibility that some may be able to tell the difference between cables they've tested on their systems .... not necessarily all who claim they can mind you, as yes people can be fooled and influenced by outside factors, and yes, acoustic memory tends to be very short .... but I think it would be presumptuous to assume and proclaim that because I can't necessarily hear something, nobody else on the planet can either. There are plenty of people who can see, hear, think, run, jump, play a musical instrument, draw, paint, smell, taste, or whatever, better than me .... whether through natural ability or through specialized training. The same thing goes for everyone here. It's not inconceivable that someone else is able to hear or distinguish subtle details better than you or I either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back