Placebo effect or burn in real?
Sep 10, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #31 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
First off, use a proper apostrophe.
rolleyes.gif

So you're saying we're idiots?

Tell that to SHURE when they announced the E500's, they specificly said NO BURN-IN REQUIRED.
It means that other cans DO need burn in to sound better.

Or that Shure knows it doesn't matter so they just say that there is no idea to do it
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #32 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
From Meier Audio:

"A headphone straight out of the box often may sound light at the bass and slightly aggressive or diffuse. The electromechanical properties of the drivers haven't settled down yet. It is strongly recommended to run the headphones for 24 48 hours with some continuous bass-heavy music before you start listening.

First have the music run for a few hours at a low sound level. Next a few hours at medium level and after this the headphones can be run at a high level for the rest of the break-in.

Break-in improves the mechanical properties of the suspension of the drivers and also "tightens" the windings of the coil. With some headphones the difference is day and night."

K, I started mine with higher than normal volume of white and pink noise, maybe that was stupid then.

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #34 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
As Shure doesn´t manufacture any full-sized phones, this doesn´t prove anything. How would they know?

BTW, a manufacturer telling you about burn-in doesn´t prove anything too; an inversion of the argument is not valid. It´s the fact that the big names don´that should make you think.

Sorry, but this is maybe the poorest argumentation i´ve read in a long time.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the difference between the components used in IEM's and full-size headphones. Only a change in size.

And there already has been... how many threads about this?
Why don't you use the search button and see the opinions?

If you're so curious, go ask a big-name manufacturer.

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #35 of 117
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I don't see the difference between the components used in IEM's and full-size headphones. Only a change in size.

Why not? They do use different technologies after all.

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #37 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
Placebo.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=burn-in

How stupid do you think a company like AKG is? Do you think they do not know about the exact behaviour of their products?

Do you think they´re some kind of lucky idiots which produce one of the worlds most advanced headphones, not knowing their sound "explodes" after 200 hours of use?

If they knew, don´t you think they would tell ya?
If they don´t know, do you think it´s possible developing such a good headphone, not knowing about the exact behaviour of the used materials?

Come on. You can´t be serious.

actually I am quite serious about break in of speakers and headphones. AKG and other companies know very well about heir sound they do not have the time or $$ to burn in thousands off drivers. Why doesn't wilson break in every baseball mit? Because it cost money!!
They don't tell you because the average Joe/Joanne could care less and is not obsessive like headfi/audio nuts.
while I beleive in burn in ffor every component I understand the skeptics but for something as like a driver the case is fairly easy to make

Sep 10, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #38 of 117
interesting read. I guess I shoulda reworded the title so it wasn't really a debate but just an appreciation thread. I'm listening to my 701's now and its morning again(2am morning =P ) and they didn't sound as lively as they did in the real morning(10am). O well, was fun while it lasted
580smile.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #39 of 117
Quote:

I don't know about burn-in, but I do know things can sound different to me in the morning and in the evening. I also know it has nothing to do with changes in my system. It is simply that various factors affect my perceptions from the time I wake to the time I go to sleep, and I have little understanding of, or control over, those factors. I've never tried to determine if heaphone break-in is real or not because I don't feel that I could accurately remember my impressions from the early hours of use v. after hundreds of hours, let alone from morning to night.

That's a valuable argument. I often encounter the same myself: according to my mood, the sound is better or worse, sometimes the differences are dramatic.

However, that doesn't happen on an analytical level -- I'm quite conscious about my subjectivity and my own mood or at least the possibility of such dependency. Judgement of break-in effects doesn't base on single momentary experiences; it's based on several samples gathered in different periods and moods, with an analytical approach instead of the mere search for musical pleasure.

Another example: While one could love the complete sound of a Bösendorfer, appreciate the sound of a Steinway grand and detest the analyticalness of a Yamaha grand piano, at times they could (theoretically) be mistaken one for the other, in certain moods and heard over temporary distances. But as a whole experience, they all retain their specific sonic properties even for a subjective listener subject to emotional fluctuations.

Quote:

Placebo.

How stupid do you think a company like AKG is? Do you think they do not know about the exact behaviour of their products?

Do you think they're some kind of lucky idiots which produce one of the worlds most advanced headphones, not knowing their sound "explodes" after 200 hours of use?

If they knew, don't you think they would tell ya?
If they don't know, do you think it's possible developing such a good headphone, not knowing about the exact behaviour of the used materials?

Come on. You can't be serious.

[Apostrophs corrected!
very_evil_smiley.gif
]

How about Sennheiser, Stax, Grado... ? I remember (and I'm certain at least about the first two manufacturers) clear statements about physical break-in effects in their headphones due to mechanical membrane movement (wearing-in, distressing), compared to pages of a book getting softer with use in the case of Sennheiser -- and explicitely accompanied with sonic changes (smoothing). Now how about Sennheiser and Stax? Don't they know what they're talking about?

As to AKG denying audible break-in effects: they haven't stated anything like this. What they exactly said was in fact that their headphones don't need dedicated break-in, like a car or a motorcycle (taking care of not too high RPMs during the first thousands of kilometers).

Quote:

Burn-in probably takes very few minutes, and the change isn't radical. There is a slight change to the physical properties of the driver as it is getting used for the first few times.

Another rather subjective and unfounded interpretation with no correlation to the actual experiences. How long does a pair of shoes take for optimum elasticity? A few minutes? Even though I agree that in most cases the change isn't radical, it may be perceived as such by some individuals in search for perfection (count myself in): They can accept the sound of their new headphones not before those have settled down and smoothed out every initial harshness. And according to my experience headphone drivers need between 120 and 600 hours, maybe more in certain cases, not to forget the (underrated) effects from earpads getting softer (= reduction of distance driver/ear as well as reflecting/absorbing properties) and headbands getting looser (= increase of distance driver/ear as well as change of sealing properties in some cases).

Quote:

Burn in for headphones has to be real. As drivers move, they have to get looser. When they get looser, their sound has to change.

That's correct IMO. And something every (hobbyist) speaker builder knows: Out of the box, the Thiele-Small parameters of speaker chassis are far from the nominal values due to the stiffness and brittleness of the whole spring/mass system. I've done numerous measurements myself during my speaker-builder career...

20d1196025769-burn-techniques-break-.jpg

...and posted some on Head-Fi.

Quote:

Amp and cable burn in makes no sense though.

My experience is exactly the opposite. Although in contrast to electrodynamic speakers (which I'm familiar with) I don't really know the mechanism behind the phenomenon. My latest amps and digital players took their time to settle down -- and it wasn't an easy time, as I was full of doubts if I have bought the right player (especially in the case of my now source reference, the McCormack UDP-1).

And even as a cable-sound «believer» I somehow doubted cable break-in -- just to experience it myself in the form of the Zu Mobius.

So before making absolutistic statements be sure to have decent experience with the matter, not just theoretical biases.

Sep 10, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #40 of 117
"Well, if I remember correctly, Filburt and another Head-Fier met for a mini-meet where they ABed a pair of burned-in K701 against a pair that hasn't been burned-in. They concluded that there was a difference between the two."

CCL, Do you know if there was a placebo in the test methodology -- some groups got to listen to the same headphone twice instead of one new and one broken-in?

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 117
The burn-in of real speakers is ridiculous to what I have researched. It's all about setup and room accoustics with them. When I got my speakers, man, I thought they were bright sounding. Turns out, I didn't have them set up right in the room, not the right positioning and etc. Huge change afterwards. Now it is just something people do to make others happy "oh you didn't burn them in." I haven't ventured much into the headphone world, but I KNOW for a fact that different cables for real Hi-Fi speakers (considering they all are the same guage) sound NO different. Nothing has been proven to show that those cables sound different. Things have been shown where people can not tell the difference. People using lamp cord for speakers, etc.

Now, with that in mind, I'm thinking about headphones and starting to get a decent pair of them. I hear the words "burn in" and immediately think "uh oh..." then I hear about "cable upgrade" and I think "uh oh" again. The fact is, it takes a while to LEARN how to listen for things, like a trained ear. So therefore, doesn't it make sense that you have to learn to listen to headphones?

Has there ever been ANY experiment where someone has bought a brand-spankin new headphone out of the box and then compaired it to an unmodified burned-in headphone? Then I might "believe." Otherwise I kind of laugh to myself silently.

Also, I am quite surprised that people are actually recommending headphones based on the cable. "I like this headphone over the other with these cables, but without the cables they are not as good." I mean...maybe since headphones have a much higher Ohm rating than speakers do and the speakers are so darn close to your ears you might pick it up....or it's just that since the headphones are getting a much higher guage of wire that they can be fed more juice more easily without as much resistance.

Anyways...

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #42 of 117
Quote:

And a change in technology used, which is... kind of the entire point. Unless we're talking about Shure e2s or Sony EX-51s and the like, which do not use balanced armatures.

Sep 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #43 of 117
Quote:

Has there ever been ANY experiment where someone has bought a brand-spankin new headphone out of the box and then compaired it to an unmodified burned-in headphone? Then I might "believe." Otherwise I kind of laugh to myself silently.

Everybody does, Dan, save for a number of people around here and a few select other places. Don't feel like you're part of the minority based on what you read here. The claims don't begin to stand up to scrutiny.

Some factions are just a bit more vocal than others.

Quote:

Also, I am quite surprised that people are actually recommending headphones based on the cable. "I like this headphone over the other with these cables, but without the cables they are not as good."

See above.

Sep 10, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #44 of 117
This is somewhat of a reply to JaZZ:

I don't see how cable or amp burn in makes sense. Maybe amp burn in with tubes, as with my Little Dot II+. When I first turn it on the tube microphonics are pretty bad, but after it warms up it goes away. However, that's more of "warming up" or in the case of solid state "charging" then it is burn in. Maybe the warming up is mistaken for burn-in.

Cable burn in makes even less sense. The chemical properties of the copper/silver/steel/whatever are not going to change as they are used. Copper is Copper is Coppper. No difference there if the gauges, purity, and insulation are the same. As JaZZ said, this is based on theory and not practice.

Sep 10, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #45 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
This is somewhat of a reply to JaZZ:

I don't see how cable or amp burn in makes sense. Maybe amp burn in with tubes, as with my Little Dot II+. When I first turn it on the tube microphonics are pretty bad, but after it warms up it goes away. However, that's more of "warming up" or in the case of solid state "charging" then it is burn in. Maybe the warming up is mistaken for burn-in.

Tube burn-in is definitely real issue. I've had several tubes that caused a loud enough hum so as to be unlistenable the first time they were used, but went away after a varying amount of time (some in less than an hour, others after a dozen or so hours). But this is a more specific case of going from "not really working" to "working", not the kind of burn-in most people talk about which always has the amazing ability to cure any sonic flaws somebody finds in the equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back