Pittsburgh PA Area Meetup!
May 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Gatepc

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there fellow Head-Fi users! I've been looking for a while for a meetup in the Pittsburgh area and have yet to find anything in recent times. Now I am wondering if there is anyone interested in meeting up? It would not be a large meeting perhaps 10-15 People tops because of space limitations but everyone is welcome to come simply bring your own gear and show up!

If you are attending, or are at least interested please let me know a day and time that works for you. Also a list of gear that you are, or plan to, bring. If you have any questions, concerns, or comments simply ask!

Possible Dates:
TBA

Some basic rules that should be self explanatory:

-Don't use someones equipment without their permission, same goes if you want to try out say, someones headphones on someone else's amp, make sure you have both peoples permission.

-If your not sure how to use something ask, we don't want stuff broken.

-Don't use lotion, hair spray, etc

-Be nice and respectful to others

-Have fun! :)

Here is the quick sheet of basic information so to speak:

Date/Time: (Not Available Yet)

Gear:
---Amps---
Burson 160 (Gatepc)
Headroom Micro amplifier (zniezelski)
Little Dot MK III (Gatepc)
Little Dot MK I+ (Gatepc)
Mix Amp Pro (SushiNinja2)
Melos SHA-1 (HammerSandwich)
NFB 5 (saintyoo)
Objective 2 (SushiNinja2)

---DACS---
Benchmark DAC1 (HammerSandwich)
Emotiva XDA (Gatepc)
Headroom Micro DAC (zniezelski)
HRT Music Streamer II (Gatepc)
HRT Music Streamer II+ (Gatepc)
NFB5 (saintyoo)

---Headphones---
ATH-AD700 (Gatepc)
ATH-M50 LE (saintyoo)
AKG 701 (saintyoo)
AKG 702 (Gatepc)
AKG Q701 (NinjaSushi2)
Beyerdynamic DT880 (HammerSandwich)
Sennheiser HD-222 (HammerSandwich)
Sennheiser HD600 (zniezelski)
Sony XB700 (Gatepc)
TDK BA100 (HammerSandwich)
Velodyne vPulse (NinjaSushi2)

---Other---
-Speaker Amp- Emotiva UPA 2 (Gatepc)
-Speaker Amp- Pass Aleph 3(HammerSandwich)
-Speakers- Polk Audio Monitor 70s (Gatepc)

Attending:
-HammerSandwich (?)
-saintyoo (?)
-zniezelski (?)
-SushiNinja2 (?)

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 42
I'm looking for some kind of Head-Fi Meetup to attend to listen to different equipment. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600s, a Headroom micro DAC and Headroom micro amplifier. Did you ever have a meetup?

Zach

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 42
@zniezelski No I never did have a meetup but I'm still up for one. I'm not going to even consider a date or time yet until we get at least 5 people wanting to go. So now that your interested just 4 more. :)

Thanks for the interest though, I would really like to see this turn into something.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 42
I'm interested but I'm a college student with no car :/ .

Gear I will have in about a week is NFB 5 Amp/Dac, AKG 701 and M50 s/LE

(just sold my hd598, fostex t50rp, e7/e9)

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:
I'm interested but I'm a college student with no car :/ .

Gear I will have in about a week is NFB 5 Amp/Dac, AKG 701 and M50 s/LE

(just sold my hd598, fostex t50rp, e7/e9)

I too am interested and I can give you a ride. I live in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh. I will be bringing AKG Q701, Objective 2 amp, Mix Amp Pro, and some Velodyne vPulse bass ear buds.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 42
I love to see some traction building on this! :) I've noticed a lot of people have AKG 701s haha we need some variance! We have a nice selection of amps and DACs though. Once we get a few more people we can even start putting together a possible meetup date! I can only host about a max of 10 people and that might be a little cramped so thats why I can start planning with only a few more people. It would be on my family's inclosed sun room, back porch area, and part of the connected dining room. But maybe even let someone else host if they were up to it, It all depends on how things work out. Who knows I might be able to fit up to 15 if I just use my garage instead. I'm sorry for the possible placement I don't have a ton of room and I'm welcome to other locations from other members as well. My garage though is a decent size and can be opened to allow a nice breeze it has a decent open area and also is close enough to run a extension cord for power too.

But nonetheless I'm glad to see people interested!

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:
I love to see some traction building on this!
smily_headphones1.gif
I've noticed a lot of people have AKG 701s haha we need some variance! We have a nice selection of amps and DACs though. Once we get a few more people we can even start putting together a possible meetup date! I can only host about a max of 10 people and that might be a little cramped so thats why I can start planning with only a few more people. It would be on my family's inclosed sun room, back porch area, and part of the connected dining room. But maybe even let someone else host if they were up to it, It all depends on how things work out. Who knows I might be able to fit up to 15 if I just use my garage instead. I'm sorry for the possible placement I don't have a ton of room and I'm welcome to other locations from other members as well. My garage though is a decent size and can be opened to allow a nice breeze it has a decent open area and also is close enough to run a extension cord for power too.
But nonetheless I'm glad to see people interested!

We could always look into a convention center sort of deal. Maybe a Dollar Tree lobby or a Holiday Inn lobby/conference room like they do with art shows, etc. I think I might also bring my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 spankers! *Speakers* The bass on this thing is crazy, I can't hardly turn it up without fearing I will destroy the foundation of my house. lol

I'll look into some places to hold a gathering here in the Burgh. Maybe if we can get even 15-30 people, *I know Pitt has some huge audio-heads*, we could look into an actual place and get catering. Say bring your equipment and 20 bucks for lunch or something, but one step at a time eh?

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 42
It would be cool if we could get permission to hold it at my school.

I see grados/senns/m50's a decent amount

I also personally know 2 big audiohead students that might come

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

NO ****! CMU!!! What!@?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Nice bro! I want to get into CMU so bad. I am currently at CCAC paying out of state, etc. CMU would be my dream for programming but I guess I'll be going to Pitt. I don't have the grades, money, and I am not Asian enough to get into CMU. I hear you need like a 4.2 - 4.4 GPA, if I tried hard enough I could get a 3.9 or 4.0. Do you know what type of Veteran's programs they support or have at CMU?

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 42
nah sorry, never dealt with the veteran's program

tbh I hate this school, I wish I picked a less nerdy school, with more sports and with less asains. I was the only asain in my grade in high school and here its like... they are the majority (probably a grand total of 7 in the entire high school by the time I was a senior including me and one of my brothers). Also the workload sucks, this schools Biology program isn't even strong compared to CS/Engeneering/Humanities/Buisness yet a single lab course takes up more than 30 hours a week. I probably could have went to Penn State and got a perfect 4.0 like a walk in the park instead of struggling for a 3.44. The 4.0 looks better for med school also even if its from Penn State.

sorry had to vent

ANYWAY I'm not exactly sure on how we could reserve a room, but I think its possible even if it isn't for a non-club event.

I might get around to it if I'm not super busy but blah blah senior year, med school stuff, more complaining, etc

P.S. the better the school, the better the aid tends to be. Its not ideal but i got ~25K in grands and ~5K in loans, leaving me to pay for a little over 20K a year. I know a kid only paying for like 8K a year because he said his parents were not planning to pay for his college.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:
nah sorry, never dealt with the veteran's program

tbh I hate this school, I wish I picked a less nerdy school, with more sports and with less asains. I was the only asain in my grade in high school and here its like... they are the majority (probably a grand total of 7 in the entire high school by the time I was a senior including me and one of my brothers). Also the workload sucks, this schools Biology program isn't even strong compared to CS/Engeneering/Humanities/Buisness yet a single lab course takes up more than 30 hours a week. I probably could have went to Penn State and got a perfect 4.0 like a walk in the park instead of struggling for a 3.44. The 4.0 looks better for med school also even if its from Penn State.

sorry had to vent

ANYWAY I'm not exactly sure on how we could reserve a room, but I think its possible even if it isn't for a non-club event.

I might get around to it if I'm not super busy but blah blah senior year, med school stuff, more complaining, etc

P.S. the better the school, the better the aid tends to be. Its not ideal but i got ~25K in grands and ~5K in loans, leaving me to pay for a little over 20K a year. I know a kid only paying for like 8K a year because he said his parents were not planning to pay for his college.

Hmm interesting. I originally was going to go to A&M for Marine Biology but thought otherwise and realized being an aquarist was just a hobby of mine and not the beginnings of a life long career. lol I'll look into CCAC as they seem to be more lenient on matters like this; though keep in mind with the bomb threats Pitt and CCAC had (not sure on CMU), it may be harder to use a school campus as a rally/meeting point. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 42
Many things could certainly happen if we start to show a lot of interest in this meetup! I'm open to any of this as long as its feasible for all other members and so forth. Of course as I've said it all depends on how things work themselves out haha. I've never hosted a head-fi meetup before though I have attended one and had a great deal of fun. Thats what impaired me to start this thread.

Its a lot of fun trying out other gear. It allows you to find out what you like without having to buy that product first and have the potential to dislike the sound according to your own preferences. For me personally, and I know everyones tastes differ, but this allowed me to determine that i preferred the sound of the LCD 2s over the HD 800 and a lot of others. I would not have known this without spending the money first. This also allowed me the great experience of seeing how much higher up the food chain you can get, so to speak. But thats what this event is all about to me. Experiencing awesome or interesting gear, meeting fellow head-fiers, and just plain having fun! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back