Pitchfork new 10.0
Nov 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 60
Is it just me or does MBDTF sound poorly mastered? I'm no recording engineer, but it seems like this thing was recorded in the red...maybe it was the coke
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 60
Bought the album today and oh boy, I definitely agree with that score. This is an amazing album.

Love him or hate him, Kanye makes good music.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 60
Makes so much more sense now..

I was wondering why the last track from Bon Iver's Blood Bank EP was five minutes of autotune.  It was for Kayne!

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 60
Downloaded it Tuesday when Amazon was offering it for $3.99. Granted Amazon MP3 downloads leave a lot to be desired, but I find this nearly unlistenable on headphones. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the Amazon rip, but the iTunes samples sound more or less the same.

Sounds much better in the car, which is where I generally do most of my hip-hop listening anyway.

Sonic imperfections aside, I can't for the life of me figure out why so many critics are branding this Album of the Year.  To me, it's maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10. In a worse mood, I'd give it a 5. It's adolescent and crude, and lacks the infectious hooks and smart, memorable turns-of-phrase I had come to expect from Kanye after College Dropout and Late Registration. 

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Girl Talk's All Day, but I can't help but think that music critics got together on some sort of under the radar tweet up and decided to brand this disappointing diatribe AOTY just for grins. Either that, or Kanye and his label pinpointed the 10 most influential critics and agreed to payoff their underwater mortgages in exchange for rave reviews.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 60
After the big reviews, I streamed a bit of it.

Seemed loaded with clichés to me. Didn't hear anything new musically, it seemed pretty derivative.

If anything, it reminded me of a middle-aged guy desperately trying to relevant to high-schoolers. Are we really supposed to have empathy for a spoiled, hypersensitive twit, anyway?

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 60
There hasn't been any good hiphop since 1994 or so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back