Pipe Smoking
Mar 6, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #31 of 40
grancasa: <grin> Nevertheless I find those sophisticated bongs quite annoying for long term use, because you can rarely clean these thingies properly... I prefer smaller ones that fit well on my belly, when reclining in a comfy chair.
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
grancasa: <grin> Nevertheless I find those sophisticated bongs quite annoying for long term use, because you can rarely clean these thingies properly... I prefer smaller ones that fit well on my belly, when reclining in a comfy chair.
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

careful lini, you say "bong" in pipe stores around these parts, they show you the door.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #33 of 40
Christmas bump!

I have a Stanwell like the one pictured above, but in sandblast finish. I find it to be a good smoker, and a beautiful pipe. But my favorite one is a smaller, 1/4 bent "bulldoggish" polished Stanwell.

Today I had two bowls of my favorite smoke: Rattray's Marlin Flake.
I smoke on rare occasions, but it is a great pleasure when I do. It seems to be easier to focus on complex thoughts while puffing away. I used to smoke cigarettes but quit a year ago. The occasional pipe smoking has been much more rewarding and in my experience, a lot less addictive. YMMV.

Oh, one more thing. Cuban cigars are NOTHING compared to good pipe tobacco in a good pipe. I'd take a bowl of Marlin Flake any day over a Montecristo or a Cohiba. There is just much more taste and pleasure in pipe smoke. It is a small wonder that pipe smoking is so much cheaper than good cigars. Comments?

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, one more thing. Cuban cigars are NOTHING compared to good pipe tobacco in a good pipe. I'd take a bowl of Marlin Flake any day over a Montecristo or a Cohiba. There is just much more taste and pleasure in pipe smoke. It is a small wonder that pipe smoking is so much cheaper than good cigars. Comments?

Wow! Talking about reviving the dead post!

I think that to each his own. Sometimes I prefer a cigar and sometimes a bowl. I think this Christmas day I will have a bowl over the in-laws house.

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #35 of 40
I had about 15 to 20 pipes in my rotation and decided I did not need that many so I sold or gave them away. I currently have 3 in my rotation. A ferndown 3 star bark bent bulldog, an ashton XXX bent bulldog, and a jsp custom bulldog with a blue stem he made for me.
LW_37_bnt_bldg.jpg

AST_10L.jpg

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

hi lini .. if your " water pipe " is glass, try some regular table salt and some rubbing alcohol from the drugstore. the alcohol will loosen any resin and the salt acts as an abrasive. then start shaking! ... keeps my glass piece nice brand new looking.
wink.gif

i gave up smoking cigarettes after smoking ... something else. so yes i enjoy a nice pipe and a nice smoke.
redface.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #38 of 40
Some links, though some of you may know of these already.

For obsessive nerd details on anything having to do with pipe smoking.

http://www.pipes.org/

Yeah, I'm a pipe nerd, I can throw that stone.

For chat with guys who are a great crew and know a lot about pipes as well.

irc.sorcery.net and #pipes

For some mind blowing examples of pipes as fine as they can be had, my friend has a site selling them. I have no financial connection to this site, it's just a friend of mine and has better examples in one spot of high grade pipes than I've seen anywhere else. I see it as an art gallery quite frankly.

http://www.pipeguy.net/

If you think you can spend some cash on headphones....

As for what I like

Tobaccos; anything that is English style, I don't like flavored tobaccos much as a rule with some MacBaren selections as the rare exception. I highly recommend trying McClelland tobaccos, they have a huge range of cuts and blends.

Pipes; I have many, Petersons, Tinsky, Charatan, Kirsten (ultimate techie nerd pipes, stems milled from aluminum no less), Ashton, too hard to pick a favorite.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #39 of 40
I've never smoked a pipe but I just recently realized that an old family friend happens to be a highly regarded pipe crafter. I'd known that was his business for years but only through a Google search did I find alot of enthusiasts who love his work. He sells his pipes under his own name, Wiley. I got the opportunity to ask him a few weeks ago how one lands on pipemaking as a trade
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back