Pipe Smoking
Feb 28, 2003 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

kpfeifle

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All:

I want to thank finleyville on the "Cuban Cigar" thread, he was the one who suggested pipe smoking. I did a little internet research and find I enjoy it much better then cigar smoking. Anybody else out there?

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 40
I enjoy smoking the pipe as much as the next American college kid
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You should try a triple chamber glass bong with warm water, then cold water, then ice. I find the combination very pleasing.

Where on the internet do you find access to the necessary items? The best I could ever do was home delivery from guys on bikes in Manhattan, but never anything off the net. Links???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 40
grancasa:

Ah college days...I remember smoking all to well! Now it's just tobacco...

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by kpfeifle
Hello All:

I want to thank finleyville on the "Cuban Cigar" thread, he was the one who suggested pipe smoking. I did a little internet research and find I enjoy it much better then cigar smoking. Anybody else out there?

Interesting how to find out on internet that pipe smoking can be a pleasure.
When my PC smokes I do have other problems.

But I do smoke a pipe sometimes.
When I'm camping in the wild, with a campfire and a good single malt whisky (Macallen 18 years).
Then it's really nice to smoke a pipe.

Peter.

Mar 1, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 40
I like pipe smoking except for one thing, and that is how hot the smoke is.

Other than that, pipe smoking was great.

Not to mention how much more tasty the pipe tobacco was.

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 40
I've been smoking a pipe for about 9 months now, and enjoy it very much. I have several pipes and my favorite tobaccos are the aromatics, such as Blue Note, Peterson's Sunset Breeze & Sweet Killarney, and some blends I have found at tobacco shops around the country. Another favorite is Mr. Paul's "Morning Edition" at www.pipeland.com.

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 40
i have a collection of three peterson pipes i enjoy a great deal. one of them is the poor cousin, and never gets smoked, but i have a beautiful straight pipe (my first) and one curvy sherlock holmes style one that i like.

the tobacco has always been given to me by an afficianado friend of mine. it generally tastes beautiful.

i smoke cigars from time to time as well, but they smell horrible in the morning, and don't taste as good either. good for show sometimes, mind you. shallow, eh?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 40
I just came in from walking my dogs and smoking a bowl of "Blue Note" in a Peterson full bent "System" pipe. I didn't like this pipe much when I first bought it but I like it a lot now. I also have another Peterson "Fourth of July" straight pipe. As I mentioned, I have several pipes, listed below:

Ascorti
Algerian Freehand
Lakatosh Freehand
Becker & Musico bent
Becker & Musico straight
Castleford bent
Savinelli bent with filter
Peterson Bent System Pipe
Peterson "Fourth of July" straight
A no name pipe I keep stuffed in my glove box - for emergencies.

A little wine shop near me is planning on expanding to a neighboring two story abandoned factory soon. They plan on having a smoking lounge for pipes and cigars, overlooking the historic downtown area. It would be cool and I hope they build it. (It's called "Distinctions" in West Dundee, IL). I also tried several cigars but decided that they just plain taste bad.

One of my favorite retailers is Iwan Ries in Chicago. They have an incredible selection and are knowledgeable and very friendly. Another great shop I found is Leavitt & Peirce in Cambridge, MA (617)547-0576 (Harvard Campus - no, I didn't go there, my wife had a training class in Boston). They have some excellent blends, and I brought home 2 pounds of their "Judges Mix", a mild aromatic with a unique aroma. It is a beautiful store with a balcony with chess tables. I also bought a good vacuum sealer after reading about storing and aging tobacco in "Pipes" magazine, and buy quantities of blends I like.

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 40
lucien,

What kind of tobacco do you smoke, aromatic or?? I've got a few I'd be glad to send to you if you'd like. PM me. How about anyone else? We could start something like Nick Dangerous's tube tour, but with our fav tobaccos. It would be cool to get samples from around the world. We'll have to be sure to include contact info for suppliers to buy more of what we like.

Mar 2, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 40
Still smouldering after all these years. I bought my first Dunhill briar in, '78 I think. Still have it, and it still smokes great! Also picked up a Peterson Canadian, and a few Sasieni (before they went oob) over the years. I used to try all sorts of tobacco, but somewhere along the line I got fond of IRC black label and quit searching around. Need to get back to that.

I prefer the pipe to a cigar, but I never mastered the art of smoking a pipe and driving. Very distracting, and I always managed to get an ash shard in my eye.

As a point of interest, do you know what the probability of a raindrop landing right in the bowl during a light shower is? I have concluded, by extrapolation of my data, that it is 100%. Nasty ash explosion when it happens, too.

gerG

Mar 2, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 40
I enjoyed smoking a pipe for a couple of years, but quit because I found myself getting much too fond of the taste of black saliva. That, and because my best friend and business partner kept teasing me by always calling me "Neville" with a British accent.

Mar 2, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
lucien,

What kind of tobacco do you smoke, aromatic or?? I've got a few I'd be glad to send to you if you'd like. PM me. How about anyone else? We could start something like Nick Dangerous's tube tour, but with our fav tobaccos. It would be cool to get samples from around the world. We'll have to be sure to include contact info for suppliers to buy more of what we like.

kentamcolin -

great idea...

to be honest, i have no idea what type of tobacco i smoke -- it has always been given to me by the friend imentioned earlier. i would hazard a guess that it's aromatic though, as they are usually pretty sweet-smelling.

finding a local example would be a good excuse to finally go to what looks like a pretty impressive tobacconist near(ish) me. if the idea gets off the ground, count me in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back