Pioneer's First Portable Amp XPA-700
Aug 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #136 of 155
Why would you need xpa700 for se846? Does it really sound better vs Pioneer dap alone on a single ended output? Also, how does it sound if you connect xpa700 directly to the phone on balanced vs pioneer dap and xpa700 on balanced? Thanks.

Pioneer on itself has a pretty good amp and dac that should be more that enough to to run BA IEM with low impendance. For the balanced you could've gotten Onkyo DP-x1 (pioneer's older brother).

I also have IEM and think to go balanced, however don't want to carry couple of devices. For me it's either iPhone + balanced amp or DAP with balanced output like Onkyo.

I got the xpa700 for the balanced out. I'm not going to lie, I also got it because it looks so cool. Once I listened to it I was sold. It's warmer and less clinical than the dap alone, and that's before balanced out. Balanced out its really open and warm but still has the brightness. Separation is phenomenal balanced. I've said it before, if I had to do it over again I'd get the onkyo. I use the pioneer as amp line out. Digital out from dap to amp, while it sounds better, the dap's battery dies out in under 2.5 hours, but yes digital out from dap to amp sounds even better.

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #137 of 155
I got the xpa700 for the balanced out. I'm not going to lie, I also got it because it looks so cool. Once I listened to it I was sold. It's warmer and less clinical than the dap alone, and that's before balanced out. Balanced out its really open and warm but still has the brightness. Separation is phenomenal balanced. I've said it before, if I had to do it over again I'd get the onkyo. I use the pioneer as amp line out. Digital out from dap to amp, while it sounds better, the dap's battery dies out in under 2.5 hours, but yes digital out from dap to amp sounds even better.

I have a dilemma now:
1. to go the cheapest route and get xpa-700 and use it with my iPhone.
2. To get chord mojo and again use it with iPhone - very regarded, excellent reviews and looks like sound wise is one of the best portable dac/amp available.
3. To get Sony pha-3 and use it with iPhone.
3. To get Onkyo dp-x1 - looks like the best value for money all arounder.

Have you compared chord mojo to xpa-700?

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #138 of 155
If you go amp only, I'd go mojo. I haven't heard if but I read it is the best. The new dacportable by centrance may give it a run. Check it out on indiegogo. If you go dap then onkyo over pioneer. It has balanced out and more power. I have fiio e12, e18, creative e5 (awesome features), xpa700, fireye hdb balanced and xduoo xd05. The one that sounds the best to me is the xduoo. It has the best bass, it's the most dynamic and musical sounding to me, and it's very powerful. Cool looking too. The bass boost is too much though. It already has deeper bass than the other amps without it. I think it's the ak dac that I might love, very musical.

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #139 of 155
If you go amp only, I'd go mojo. I haven't heard if but I read it is the best. The new dacportable by centrance may give it a run. Check it out on indiegogo. If you go dap then onkyo over pioneer. It has balanced out and more power. I have fiio e12, e18, creative e5 (awesome features), xpa700, fireye hdb balanced and xduoo xd05. The one that sounds the best to me is the xduoo. It has the best bass, it's the most dynamic and musical sounding to me, and it's very powerful. Cool looking too. The bass boost is too much though. It already has deeper bass than the other amps without it. I think it's the ak dac that I might love, very musical.

I might do DAC only with either mojo or Sony. I spend 90% listening at the desktop and 10% on the go, so I don't think I need DAP - digital from laptop is good enough.

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #140 of 155

On the other hand Xpa-700 looks like a really good value for money when you buy it from Japan - balanced out, pretty powerful and has tons of features.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #141 of 155
I might do DAC only with either mojo or Sony. I spend 90% listening at the desktop and 10% on the go, so I don't think I need DAP - digital from laptop is good enough.

I think the Sony is overpriced. I'd do mojo. The new iPhone 7 I hear will be available with 256 gigs. If so, then that's all I need. If only it would stream tidal MQA.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #142 of 155
On the other hand Xpa-700 looks like a really good value for money when you buy it from Japan - balanced out, pretty powerful and has tons of features.

Xpa700 is very cool, but it's not very powerful, powerful enough.
TBH, I think the xduoo xd05 blows it away. I like the ak dac better than the ess. The amp section is also much more powerful on the xduoo. It's also cheaper. I got mine on mass drop for under $200. It has all the digital filters, plus a screen to view and it's much easier to use for digital signal. It has usb host.

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #144 of 155
I bought it off of amazon Japan. If you look at all van nuys, you'll see one that says xpa700. I bought that one and the one for xdp100r alone. I studied many of them and read their specs. Many of them are the same.

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #145 of 155
Where do you guys buy your rsa balanced cables from? I've found a store on ali express but the wait time for shipping is forever to me, I'd like something closer to home here stateside.

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #147 of 155
Where do you guys buy your rsa balanced cables from? I've found a store on ali express but the wait time for shipping is forever to me, I'd like something closer to home here stateside.

We offer RSA/ALO terminated cables, and we are located in Los Angeles, CA, USA. Hit us up if you have any questions.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Nov 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #148 of 155
Thank you!

How long does it take to charge before we can use these? Just got mine in mail today and frustrating no instructions in English, any one have a copy?

May 6, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #149 of 155
Anyone having issues with your source battery dying out very quickly with the xpa700? I have the charge button down when connected but it still seems like it drains whatever source I plug into it. Should the switch be in the up position?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back