Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jul 2, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #691 of 2,188
FWIW mine is #377 - the most lucky Japanese number I could hope for (short of 777 of course!)

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #692 of 2,188
I'd have to check again, but my pair is 180 something. 184 maybe.

And interesting news, so the new guy's are in the 500s. Seems to be keeping with there only being <1000 of these babies so far. Man I'm dying for a listen now, hopefully tomorrow~

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #693 of 2,188
Any electronic music fans here? I'd love to hear your thoughts here specifically with regards to the SE-M1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812976/electronic-music-fans-headphones-discussion-thread

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #694 of 2,188
#186 here. I had an earlier 2 digit serial number HP but had some issues with the cable connectors so got it replaced about a year ago.

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #695 of 2,188
Does the journey ever end?  feels like it might have for me, or at least, a longish pause.

I'm having a hard time writing down my thoughts.  Something about 'dimensionality", a feeling of the music in space.  Something about the openness/transparency of the HD800 but anchored with bass.  Something about 'speaker-like'.  Something about true emotional engagement in the music, not the recording.

Suffice to say I'm always guilty of new toy syndrome, but in this case, I'm very, very happy.

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #696 of 2,188
New toy syndrome, or just being right? If the former, then I still have it, if the latter, then I'm glad that I'm one of the very few that will ever hear them.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #697 of 2,188
  Does the journey ever end?  feels like it might have for me, or at least, a longish pause.

I'm having a hard time writing down my thoughts.  Something about 'dimensionality", a feeling of the music in space.  Something about the openness/transparency of the HD800 but anchored with bass.  Something about 'speaker-like'.  Something about true emotional engagement in the music, not the recording.

Suffice to say I'm always guilty of new toy syndrome, but in this case, I'm very, very happy.

After 4 to 5 months of ownership, I feel the same.  This is really the only headphone that has brought me to that "singer/band in the room" feel.  My only minor complaint being an obvious lack of top end extension and a slight hardness to the treble.  HD800S?  I have a pair right here, and it's noticeably not as rich, vivid, or real sounding... although the overall lean and tipped up tonal balance tends to fool the brain into thinking it's fast and transparent sounding, but in a direct comparison to my ears it just sounds very distant (as opposed to the immediacy of the SEM-1's) and somewhat grey and bleached out tonally... cymbals, hi hats, etc. just don't have that sheen and fine shimmer of real metal, voices don't convey that "open window" sense of richness and depth, etc. 

The only thing remotely interesting to me at this moment is the new Focal Utopias... but at $4k... that's a pretty big step up price wise  :)  

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #699 of 2,188
I get what you say about a hardness in the treble. The only negative I have at the moment. Wondering if that could be alleviated by a cable upgrade.
that in my case, lessened with usage...

What are you driving them with?

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #702 of 2,188
@Benny-x

You have the HE-6 as well right? Can you post some comparisons between the HE-6 and the SE-M1

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #703 of 2,188
Not burned in yet. How long do they need? Using my Metrum stack (see my sig). Im not too worried I read they need an extended burn in

I read that too but that differred from my opinion. I found 50-100 hours enough.
Try that first I'd say.
Sorry, don't know the Metrum. IMO dac/amp combo's usually aren't the best in the amp department.
My M1s are zunning fine without treble problems from my 2 EC amps and 3 Vintage amps.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #704 of 2,188
Any electronic music fans here? I'd love to hear your thoughts here specifically with regards to the SE-M1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812976/electronic-music-fans-headphones-discussion-thread

Most definitely! Just read the thread, but about to go to sleep right now, will try to post something tomorrow or so. (Hint: It's good.) :)

All so very true. Congratulations! It's really, really great to gradually see more people enjoying these. Although I've had mine for several months (S/N in the 440ies, btw.), it still feels like honeymoon. Wonderful times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back