Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Mar 16, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,171 of 2,189
The pioneer is my go to headphone for comfort for long sessions. My record is 8 hours straight before fatigue sets in haha Nothing else comes close except the hifiman he1000v2. The z1r hurts my head after 3 hours due to the lack of headband padding and the ear pads are too small for my tiny ears, same goes for the Utopia, and LCD-4 weight wise.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,172 of 2,189
Folks,

We may have a contender here.............

Two CD's in to the evening (March Madness on mute) with Fourplay Silver and Sade Love Deluxe played in full has me impressed.  These have incredible bass handling capabilities - they go very low and I hear no fuzziness/softness in the lower notes.  It handled Fourplay Silver Streak that has this crazy bass drop at the 4:20 mark (I kid you not) that sounds like a kettle drum being struck - once - and it is an acid test for me to see if it can replicate the head rattling note the HE-6 can reproduce.  Yep.  And Sade's Bullet Proof Soul track starts with a bass guitar riff that is hard to replicate - especially cleanly - and the Pioneer handled it without a problem.  The Sony MDR-Z1R didn't far as well - it seemed to have more of a "soft" bass note during these two passages. 

Yes, I sound like a basshead - and I guess at heart I am.  More like an audiophile basshead where I love great mids, female voices but need the low end to satisfy me.  These do that - in droves.

More to come...........all day basketball tomorrow on mute and my Pioneers on my head. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,173 of 2,189
Yep, it's true what they say: There is no other headphone, at least to my knowledge, that combines this sort of high-end sound with comparable bass capabilities. It really is the best of both worlds: wonderful transparency and clarity wed to deep-reaching, satisfying bass notes. Still a shame that they're so little-known. I'm sure if Pioneer was a sponsor here, these things would long have gone through the roof. Well, all the nicer to see some fresh blood in this thread. *chug*

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,174 of 2,189
The pioneer is my go to headphone for comfort for long sessions. My record is 8 hours straight before fatigue sets in haha Nothing else comes close except the hifiman he1000v2. The z1r hurts my head after 3 hours and the pads are too small for my tiny ears, same goes for the Utopia, and LCD-4 weight wise.
Any impressions on the sound of the Se-Master 1 vs HE-1000v2s would be much appreciated.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,175 of 2,189
Have any of the new models joining the thread gone over serial number 1000 yet? Still divided opinion as to whether it will be a limited run of 1000 units or not.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #1,176 of 2,189
446 here

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #1,177 of 2,189
Can't actually remember if I declared mine or not, my pair is #377

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #1,178 of 2,189
289 here. This was the first M1 that got into my country, ordered it long before it was available and the Pioneer distributor here was reluctant to import one. I wonder if more made it here.

Does anyone actually have price info for the blanced cable and replacement original earpads in their country?
I remember prices for both were rather steep here.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,179 of 2,189
289 here. This was the first M1 that got into my country, ordered it long before it was available and the Pioneer distributor here was reluctant to import one. I wonder if more made it here.

Does anyone actually have price info for the blanced cable and replacement original earpads in their country?
I remember prices for both were rather steep here.
i bought the balanced cable for £279 (UK)

Wondering how durable the pads are, and if I should myself get a spare set for a rainy day.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #1,180 of 2,189
i bought the balanced cable for £279 (UK)

Wondering how durable the pads are, and if I should myself get a spare set for a rainy day.

Yep, around the same price for the cable here. Pads were 380€ when I asked.

Let's say I need a balanced cable terminated 4-pin. Would buying the Pioneer balanced cable and removing the 2x3-pin connectors result in the same cable as removing the 1/4 pulg from the stock cable in order to retermintate with a 4-pin xlr? Or are there more wires in the balanced cable?

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,182 of 2,189
The cable appears to be on offer here - no affiliation, and no idea for how long it will be on offer...

Just dawned on me that I've been listening to my SEM1s for about 20hrs today (with nominal breaks) - really wouldn't have thought that for even half a second - so effortless, so happy :)

I'm still sure I'm being ridiculed in some circles, behind my back for using the Pioneer U05 amp (via the XLRs), but - for me, it steps up, and delivers - pretty damned well :)

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #1,183 of 2,189
The cable appears to be on offer here - no affiliation, and no idea for how long it will be on offer...

Just dawned on me that I've been listening to my SEM1s for about 20hrs today (with nominal breaks) - really wouldn't have thought that for even half a second - so effortless, so happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still sure I'm being ridiculed in some circles, behind my back for using the Pioneer U05 amp (via the XLRs), but - for me, it steps up, and delivers - pretty damned well
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the link, might pick me one up.
Do you have any pictures of the amp-end side of the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back