Pioneer SE-MJ51
Aug 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 6
No, i have not heard off them .
rolleyes.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 6
I have listened to the MJ51 veeeeeeeery briefly. That is one of the great things with living in Japan - you can go to an electronics store (preferably Yodobashi or Bic Kamera) and all the headphones sold will be hung on a stand for customers to try out. You can even plug them into your DAP to try them out. I tried out different headphones just for fun about 2 weeks ago. The MJ51 was one of them. I did not focus enough to remember how it sounded. I did prefer the PX100-II (I own the original PX100) and AKG K420 (which I own) and the Koss Porta Pro to the Pioneer. The soundstage was ever so slightly "boxy" (in lack of a better adjective). But the Pioneer did have a better treble response than the others in that cymbals had a stronger presence.
I own the Pioneer SE-EX9 clip-on phones and they should not be too far off from the SE-MJ series. I do like the SE-EX9 but think they are a bit bright and a little bit "boxy" compared to my other phones. However, the brightness can be EQed and you get used to the sound after a few minutes. After listening to the SE-EX9, my PX100 sound very dark and it takes a short while to get into the sound.

Anyway, I do not want to scare you from trying the Pioneers out. However, I would suggest that go for the SE-MJ71 instead of the MJ51. They are only a little bit more expensive and the higher the number, the better. 
wink.gif

You should be able to find the MJ71 for under $90

SE-MJ71 at Audiocubes

Some info about the SE-MJ series

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey, i know it's a bit late, i own these headphone at the moment, since more than 2 years now. The story is, i originaly ordered the MJ-5, but the guy from the shop did tell me, that is no longer exist in their shop but the mj51. It was a bit cheaper, about 50$ instead of around 60$. When i first listened, it was horrible... Too bassy with distorted highs, the only normal thing was the mids. But after 50-100 hours of burn-in in moderate volume and now im surpised. Really clear. I own a Creative Aurvana as well, and i can say it's sounds clearer, the only disadvantage is the isolation. I planning to buy a HD 25 1-II, i heard the SP version in a store, and i can say that Pioneer is not too far from that. pretty clear, not to bassy, not too high.
But im a bit curious, that it's can handle 1000mW and on full volume on my sansa clip is so friggin' loud, so i dont know how could this handle the 1000mW...

Hope i could help for those, who may read this article later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back