Pioneer SE-L40 cans received today ;-)
May 13, 2011 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

polartech

New Head-Fier
After what feels like waiting for an absolute age, the Pioneer SE-L40s finally turned up this morning.

All I can say is.. they are simply AMAZING!!    :wink:

In the looks department, they are just too sexy for words. The pair that I snagged have been very well cared for (hence me paying top dollar) although the pads tell a story of intense use over the years - there's quite a bit of bobbling on the material.

I have popped these off, wondering what things might look like inside, and was amazed to see a brilliantly clean interior to the phone housing. So far so good...!

I didn't know quite how they were going to sound after reading a raft of conflicting reports around the web, so with some trepidation I plugged them into my mid range headphone amp and threw on some Vangelis. I almost fell over!!!! The soundstage reproduction is fantastically accurate, separation is precise and everything seems well defined in terms of highs, mids and low end. The stereo imaging is exceptional.

I am really pleased with this purchase. Not only a cracking looking pair of cans that are sure to turn heads and create conversation, but a distinct and (to my ears) very enjoyable sound signature.

I wonder if I could buy some replacement pads anywhere?? Hmmmm......

May 13, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 6
Owned a pair for 4-5 years in the early 70s. Great phones. Eventually upgraded to Pioneer SE700s, but I was never quite as satisfied. There was just something about the 40s...

Those look beautiful. Hope you can find some new pads for them.  

May 13, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 6
wow those are some nice cans! Whats the price tag? Just interested. Me want some of those!!! But i would never have the money for those tho.

May 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks.. well I laid out just £150 for these on the Bay, purchased here in the UK. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned, as it's not a large sum for what you are getting. There were a couple of pairs in the US recently but I see that those have recently gone for similar money. Every pair that I do see appear to be in great condition though. There was also a pair that only managed around half of that last week I think, so a very good buy for someone. My advice would be to keep watching and see what comes up.
If anyone has any pointers on replacement pads I'd certainly appreciate it. If I can't get any, it's not really the end of the world though.

May 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 6
well thats not as expensive as i thought. Couldnt you get some company to make pads? Good luck with the search

May 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks.. well I laid out just £150 for these on the Bay, purchased here in the UK.

Probably a good buy with their present popularity, but I seem to remember that I only paid about $40 for them around 1972. Ah, the good old days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back