Pioneer SE-DJ5000 Headphone
Jan 23, 2003 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been listening to a lot of closed headphones lately and have recently picked up a set of the Pioneer SE-DJ5000 headphones. I picked these thinking they are DJ headphones so they probably have a lot of slam and bass for Rock music. After listening for a few days I think they are quite the opposite. They have a nice clear mid and top end with some bass but not the kind that will hit you over the head. The types of people that would look at these are probably not the types of people that would like them. They actually sound better with Jazz and Classical than they do with Rock. They are able to resolve small details and sound a little cold and analytical. They kind of remind me of the Audio Technica line of headphones. Anybody whose into Jazz or Classical should give these a try.

Jan 23, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Now I know why the SE-DJ5000 sounds better with classical and jazz than they do with rock or trance (as you said)...

They are a bit on the bright side of neutral, tone-wise.

Jan 23, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 7
Where did you get them from, and for how much?

Jan 24, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Do you like them better than the older SE-10 Monitors? How about compared to the JVC DX-3?

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 7
I dug these out while I wait for my replacement Sennheisers to arrive and plugged them into Schiit Valhalla - what a surprise, they sound really good for "DJ" headphones.

Back when I was spinning vinyl in NYC bars and clubs I used them and abused them - never a reliability issue. Sound quality was not on my mind back then - the louder the better!

Now some 8 years later the foam has rotted away and rubber headband has crumbled (really strange), but they still sound as good as new.

I should dig for ATH-2 I had somewhere, they could also be worth trying out, again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back