Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Aug 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #512 of 1,082
Quote:
If that is the case, then something is wrong with mine, or these have anemic response under 100hz. There is literally nothing there. No bass whatsoever, in any form. The mids and highs are crystal clear, yet it feels like a crossover cut off any and all low end. I thought it was just because they needed more power.

Have you tested it with bass tones? Mine produce solid bass from 30Hz on up. The better the amp I use, the better the results but they still kick butt on my Galaxy S4.

I would dare say that better source and amplification actually benefits the SE-A1000 more than many headphones I've heard, and that the excellent SQ one gets without such assistance is a bonus. When compared to my AKG K701, better DAC and amp resulted in a distinctly higher level of performance from the Pioneers, even though on a decent amp they both sound somewhat similar, with the AKG being more precise and the pioneer being more full. But with a good amp, the Pioneers sound more spacious, more detailed, deeper, more profound. The AKGs sounded a bit tighter, with a bit more bass when connected to better amplification—but could not keep up with the Pioneers.

For this test, my HQ source was a Roland Quad-Capture DAC, a Crown XTi-1000 amp and a "Can Opener." with balanced XLR wiring. My SQ source was a Samson headphone amp, and a Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR acting as a pre-pro, as well as just the headphone jack on an iPad and on the SC-55.

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #513 of 1,082
Quote:
Have you tested it with bass tones? Mine produce solid bass from 30Hz on up. The better the amp I use, the better the results but they still kick butt on my Galaxy S4.

I just tried it on my dad's old but very powerful Onkyo stereo amp, and it was much improved. Separation and imaging are excellent, but I still needed to bump 30-80hz up about 10db to be acceptable. They're burning in on it now.

It is tough to adjust to, as I have a home theater system made of DIY speakers and subs that are flat to 10hz. My towers are full range to 20hz flat even.

I'll give it more time, but it just might not be the sound signature for me, which is a shame because I love the soundstage.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #515 of 1,082
Quote:

I just tried it on my dad's old but very powerful Onkyo stereo amp, and it was much improved. Separation and imaging are excellent, but I still needed to bump 30-80hz up about 10db to be acceptable. They're burning in on it now.

It is tough to adjust to, as I have a home theater system made of DIY speakers and subs that are flat to 10hz. My towers are full range to 20hz flat even.

I'll give it more time, but it just might not be the sound signature for me, which is a shame because I love the soundstage.

I've got DIY subs and I've built a few speakers as well and I can go flat (or hot) to about 14Hz, because I built LLT tuned to 16Hz. Anyhow, at first the decreased bass and extension seemed like an issue, but in time I came to truly appreciate these Pioneers. You wind up appreciating different tracks, in different ways. They make treble exciting.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #517 of 1,082
Im not a believer in break in. You may as well return them now. They wont satisfy your bass needs.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Sometimes I think you make liking these headphones tough. Seriously, people will have different opinions.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #518 of 1,082
Quote:
I've got DIY subs and I've built a few speakers as well and I can go flat (or hot) to about 14Hz, because I built LLT tuned to 16Hz. Anyhow, at first the decreased bass and extension seemed like an issue, but in time I came to truly appreciate these Pioneers. You wind up appreciating different tracks, in different ways. They make treble exciting.

Your name looks familiar. I think I've seen you in the DIY section of AVSforum before.

I'm doing a comparison of the Pioneers, Superlux 681 EVO, Takstar Pro 80, Takstar 6000, Bluedio R+ (new release), Noontec Hammo (sale at Tanga, brand new release), and eventually the Hifiman HE-500. The best few I keep.

If the R+ and Pioneer melded together, it would be my favorite headphone of all time. The APT-X 4.0 Bluetooth and internal amp with its huge clear bass of the R+, plus the Pioneer midrange and imaging would be wow.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #519 of 1,082
Im not a believer in break in. You may as well return them now. They wont satisfy your bass needs.

Sometimes I think you make liking these headphones tough. Seriously, people will have different opinions.

Theyre open headphones and the guy wants response on par with dedicated subwoofers.

Seems like his priorities are misplaced.

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #521 of 1,082
Quote:
Theyre open headphones and the guy wants response on par with dedicated subwoofers.

Seems like his priorities are misplaced.

No, I want as close to flat response from the advertised 
10 - 30,000Hz 
 range as possible, even just to 30hz, but instead I fell for the Head-Fi flavor of the month hype. The excellent soundstage cannot make up for the missing response from 100hz down that I'm getting in mine. 80-100hz is not a hard task, even for open headphones, and I am entitled to my opinion.

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #522 of 1,082
Quote:

10 - 30,000Hz 
 range as possible, even just to 30hz, but instead I fell for the Head-Fi flavor of the month hype. The excellent soundstage cannot make up for the missing response from 100hz down that I'm getting in mine. 80-100hz is not a hard task, even for open headphones, and I am entitled to my opinion.

Lots of companies (the majority of them, in fact) play fast and loose with the frequency range spec. That 10 Hz figure is probably highly inflated, since there isn't a standardized system for measuring frequency ranges. That 10 Hz might be 30 dB or more down from baseline--technically the transducer is still producing sound, so technically you can say it goes down to 10 Hz, but with zero authority.

There are very few open headphones with usable response at 10 Hz or even 30 Hz, and they're almost exclusively orthodynamic and electrostatic designs.

All this said, everything above usually only applies to very low frequency ranges. You're quite right that 80-100 Hz should not be difficult at all for any credible headphone, open or otherwise.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #523 of 1,082
Quote:

10 - 30,000Hz 

These aren't FOTM - They're extremely solid open air cans. They just aren't your cup of tea.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #524 of 1,082
10 - 30,000Hz 

These aren't FOTM - They're extremely solid open air cans. They just aren't your cup of tea.

I'd agree with that. Just because you came into a purchase with misplaced or unrealistic expectations does not mean the headphones are to blame.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #525 of 1,082
I would rate these as pretty solid open air cans too for the price of $60.

Need good amping though to get the low end out but I would say they roll-off the bass at about 50hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back