Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #541 of 1,082
I ordered these based on the comments, and even the arguments in this thread.  I have less experience with headphones than I do with high end audio in general (i.e. speakers), but I'm curious to see how these sound.  I find inevitably these kinds of killer deals often do many things better than more expensive competitors, but have a major shortcoming that makes them worth much closer to what they actually cost, and fixing that one major thing is what makes the higher end product cost more.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #542 of 1,082
Quote:
I don't think the $650 is Grossly overpriced, it fits right in it's price bracket.  Personally I prefer the HD558/598 more but thats more of a taste issue. The 650 has been around and well liked for years. If the Pioneers are still talked about in 2 or 3 years, then you could be onto something.  But these will die off, just like the other budget beaters always do.  Don't get me wrong they are decent but saying 650 @$45 is WAY mis leading.  Hell My DJ100's sound better then the Pioneers and they were $50 new, not priced reduced to move overstock. (Lack of Buyers).  It's funny you mention Senn having a can that can match the Pioneers MSRP?  The OP said 650 @ $45, even at full MSRP they are stomped by Senn lower models, 558/598...Maybe not stomped by the 558, they are very close to the same level and the 558 is $105...

Wow man, don't go too far... the DJ100's are alright, not my thing though... and the HD558 i have a strong distaste for (like HD280/380 scale distaste) BUT I do agree on the HD598, they are super smooth and easy to listen to all day.

The DT880 pro dips to about 200 on occasion, I would personally grab them over the pioneers. (based on the pioneers OG msrp of 200)

OR the AD900x

OR an sr60i/sr80i with L cushion... and the rest on a used little dot 1+ and some Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes (the amount of energy and engagement is amazing)

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #543 of 1,082
I'd agree with that. Just because you came into a purchase with misplaced or unrealistic expectations does not mean the headphones are to blame.

The title of the thread ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?) implies that this is a headphone comparable in sound quality and sound signature to the HD650.

Plus the fanboys/defense force have been hyping this headphone up and attacking anyone with a different opinion or experience. This headphone sounds nothing like a HD650.

Did I ever say anything about the 650? I didn't name the thread. All I said was if you have realistic expectations for $60 open cans, you won't be disappointed.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #544 of 1,082
Hey now don't be talking about my Koss
biggrin.gif
,  These things are the budget Kings of all Kings, You just won't hear the Dub/House/RNB/Rap crowd talking about them. Bass is too natural for their taste.

Was never a Fan of Beyers myself, The mid-range suck out and pesky treble just grates at my brainpan.  On the 558 you really have to pull out that stupid reflector tape. They sound wonky with it it there.  It's like they wanna be neutral but with a forward mid-almost N-shaped. With that tape out and running thru my M-Stage w/LT1364 ( for added treble) they sound quite good. Much more balance sounding while be smooth and relaxing.  Still my best buy at $100.  
 I was too harsh on Grado before, but I'm willing to give them another run after I sell these
eek.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #545 of 1,082
Quote:
I don't think the $650 is Grossly overpriced, it fits right in it's price bracket.  Personally I prefer the HD558/598 more but thats more of a taste issue. The 650 has been around and well liked for years. If the Pioneers are still talked about in 2 or 3 years, then you could be onto something.  But these will die off, just like the other budget beaters always do.  Don't get me wrong they are decent but saying 650 @$45 is WAY mis leading.  Hell My DJ100's sound better then the Pioneers and they were $50 new, not priced reduced to move overstock. (Lack of Buyers).  It's funny you mention Senn having a can that can match the Pioneers MSRP?  The OP said 650 @ $45, even at full MSRP they are stomped by Senn lower models, 558/598...Maybe not stomped by the 558, they are very close to the same level and the 558 is $105...

Perhaps you just hear differently, or rather just have different priorities in terms of what you think "sounds good," after all you seem to be all-in with Denon while I cut my AH-D600 experiment short when the stupid plugs on the cables made it impossible to relax on a sofa wearing them, plus the price/performance ratio seemed like a real waste compared to the SE-A1000. Of course I'm debating in the name of good fun. Perhaps these 'phones are a flash in the pan on their way out the clearance door—I expect pioneer to replace them with something more practical for the average user, like a detachable cord. Assuredly not the last cans I ever buy.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #546 of 1,082
Quote:
Perhaps you just hear differently, or rather just have different priorities in terms of what you think "sounds good," after all you seem to be all-in with Denon while I cut my AH-D600 experiment short when the stupid plugs on the cables made it impossible to relax on a sofa wearing them, plus the price/performance ratio seemed like a real waste compared to the SE-A1000. Of course I'm debating in the name of good fun. Perhaps these 'phones are a flash in the pan on their way out the clearance door—I expect pioneer to replace them with something more practical for the average user, like a detachable cord. Assuredly not the last cans I ever buy.

Not really all-in with Denon, but I do like their sound. Hell you see the Cals mentioned by A lot people for a reason.  I do mix it up:
biggrin.gif
I really Doubt Pioneer comes out with new set. I think for the most part they cater to DJ's for their headphones sales and worry about other home electronics for the average customer??

Can't forget the IEMS

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #547 of 1,082
Budget kings are still fa-003 clones. Nxt has a deal for their clones and gr06 clones for 100...which is an absolute steal new.

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #548 of 1,082
grado sr60 with lcush aren't anywhere near on par with the pioneers. hell, they sound outright better than 325i from my experience.

I've had experience with just about every $200~ range can, and I prefer the Pioneers over most of them. Shure has always sort of clicked with me though, which is why it has more head time recently.

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #549 of 1,082
Quote:
Hey now don't be talking about my Koss
biggrin.gif
,  These things are the budget Kings of all Kings, You just won't hear the Dub/House/RNB/Rap crowd talking about them. Bass is too natural for their taste.

Was never a Fan of Beyers myself, The mid-range suck out and pesky treble just grates at my brainpan.  On the 558 you really have to pull out that stupid reflector tape. They sound wonky with it it there.  It's like they wanna be neutral but with a forward mid-almost N-shaped. With that tape out and running thru my M-Stage w/LT1364 ( for added treble) they sound quite good. Much more balance sounding while be smooth and relaxing.  Still my best buy at $100.  
 I was too harsh on Grado before, but I'm willing to give them another run after I sell these
eek.gif

it depen on your music taste, what kind of music you listen to
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king
2 years ago i red them, i bought a pair and returned them quickly i never read that thread again.

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #550 of 1,082
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #551 of 1,082
Quote:
grado sr60 with lcush aren't anywhere near comparable with the pioneers, they sound outright different.

I've had experience with just a few $200~ range cans, and I prefer the Pioneers over most of them. Shure has always sort of clicked with me though, which is why it has more head time recently.

You obviously didn't amp them with tubes...

AND I never said they were "better" I said I enjoyed them more.

SO tell me, since you're such an expert... how do you draw comparisons between cans when you don't own any proper source equiptment fitting to the cans that you make broad sweeping statements about? Synergy between components is very important to your final output... Have you heard any better amps? (i.e. Taboo MKIII, Fosgate  Signature, Bottelhead Crack, Asgard, Magni,Lyr) Or DACs?

I'm not trying to be a jerk BUT this thread is full of angry fan boys, and I'm only pointing out that your opinion isn't the only valid one (all of you)

SO stop. (fyi I fixed your statement)

Here's a happy pic...

Good day

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #552 of 1,082
Quote:

SO tell me, since you're such an expert... how do you draw comparisons between cans when you don't own any proper source equiptment fitting to the cans that you make broad sweeping statements about? Synergy between components is very important to your final output... Have you heard any better amps? (i.e. Taboo MKIII, Fosgate  Signature, Bottelhead Crack, Asgard, Magni,Lyr) Or DACs?

I'm not trying to be a jerk BUT this thread is full of angry fan boys, and I'm only pointing out that your opinion isn't the only valid one (all of you)

Here's a happy pic...

Good day

RUT ROW!!!!  But +1

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #553 of 1,082
Well clearly I'm right.  I thought we all knew that? 
biggrin.gif

Srsly though folks... it's a pair of headphones.  Some of us like it, some of us don't.  There's absolutely nothing of dire importance hanging in the balance here. 
smile.gif

LOVE the banana pic BTW!

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #554 of 1,082
Quote:

Here's a happy pic...

Good day

Let's just get back to enjoying music. Opinions, we're all sick of 'em by now, I'm sure.

Synergy is overrated IMO, but the value of good gear is not.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #555 of 1,082
All I'll add is if you've never owned or heard a certain headphone, Don't say this is beter then that ect....   The Pioneers are great at $45 no doubt, but can't hold a candle to a well amped
HD650...That was the main point.    It's a little mis-leading.   If a noob comes into the thread buys a Pioneer and starts saying they are better the HD650 etc, That starts the hype train with more noobs and you get this crazy cycle of people recommending stuff on no real merits.
Just like the old post how the Panasonic 600's are another HD650, we all know that headphone was crap, but noobs started the hype train...You get people that just joined and have 5 posts saying this-(Name headphone) are the best etc, and other noobs don't know any better....M50 ring a bell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back