Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Mar 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #841 of 1,082
What is the consensus on how these perform with movies? I'm looking for an open can, which would be plugged into my receiver's headphone jack. I'm also considering the Superlux HD681 EVO and HD330. Thanks.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #842 of 1,082
Don't know about consensus but I think these might be the best affordable headphone for movies. Nice combination of soundstage and good low bass performance. Also the wire is super long. There were originally marketed for home theater use.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #844 of 1,082
Thanks. The pics look like the cups are kind of shallow. How do you guys find the ear space and depth? And compare to the Superlux 681 EVO and HD330's ear space and depth, if possible.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #845 of 1,082
It is shallow but if you just stick a piece of rope or paracord or something under the pad between the cushion and the felt back it raises it up with no change in sound. Right now I have a piece of an old ethernet cable I cut apart in it But I originally had the drawstring from am old hooded sweatshirt. Works perfectly both ways!!

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #846 of 1,082
It is shallow but if you just stick a piece of rope or paracord or something under the pad between the cushion and the felt back it raises it up with no change in sound. Right now I have a piece of an old ethernet cable I cut apart in it But I originally had the drawstring from am old hooded sweatshirt. Works perfectly both ways!!

I did a similar mod to a koss A250, using stacks of fleece strips to elevate the drivers outward a bit.

reading through all the hype... who here doesn't think these cans are on par with the higher end designs?

In what ways to they fall short of the HD650, K701 and RS1?  I am looking for direct comparisons and the likes.

thanks!!

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #847 of 1,082
reading through all the hype... who here doesn't think these cans are on par with the higher end designs?

In what ways to they fall short of the HD650, K701 and RS1?  I am looking for direct comparisons and the likes.

Im not a super technical audiophile and I dont have any of the headphones you have listed but I do have the k550 which basically sounds open. I have played a bunch of call of duty with both with a turtle beach dss so I have a pretty good sense of the soundstage. The akgs details are more crisp and closer feeling. The soundstage is bigger on the pioneer but I feel like due to the clarity the instrument seperation is better on the akg. You know how people talk about what seat it puts you in. Well the akg sounds like you are in the 2nd row and the pioneer feels like you are in the 20th row. To me the pioneer feels more like being in a movie theatre. When gaming even though the pioneers may be better for hearing things off in the distance I think the akg is slightly better. The gun firing and details like rain falling and bullet shells hitting the floor are just more prominent. Thats not to say the pioneers are bad by any means. Also there is more bass on the pioneers. Explosions and stuff have more rumble. Not overpowering but more. If I had to guess I would say the q701 or k701 would be a crisper and more closer feeling especially in details but not much different on the soundstage. I honestly still switch between the 2 still trying to decide which ones I prefer. for 50 bucks they really are a no brainer. I dont see how a soundstage could really be any better for without spending hundreds of dollars honestly. One last thing whenever i let friends compare they always prefer the pioneers due to the noticably bigger soundstage and the bassier sound. The akgs sort of sound better the longer you listen to them if that makes any sense. If I had to guess I would bet the pioneers would be more like the at a500x only maybe with more bass

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #851 of 1,082

Are there any pics here from anyone that did this? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back