Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Feb 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #811 of 1,082
  thanks for the response. they're 'out for delivery', so i should get my hands on them later today.  after a quick burn-in, i will see how they sound 'as is' and then decide if i should remove the padding.  it is my understanding, from reading many reviews, that the upper pad is actually designed to rest 'gently' against the ear. not sure i like that idea, regardless of how it sounds...

What do you think so far?

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #812 of 1,082
i haven't actually had a chance yet to give them a serious listen. i burned them in a few hours each day over the weekend (via FM radio), but ended up getting side-tracked with something else.  i have very little time for such things during the week, but i'm hoping to spend some time with them this weekend.  thanks for asking...

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #813 of 1,082
I just received my headphones. I don't know what to say... These sound better than I had anticipated.  I will write more about these in couple of days when I've given these more time but at this point it is allready safe to say that these are extremely good headphones. I can now understand why these are so hyped here...

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #814 of 1,082

Jo6Pak I have not had a full listen either, but I listened to a couple of songs for about 30 seconds and I really like them. I'm still burning in till tomorrow for 100 hours. :D

Quote:
  I just received my headphones. I don't know what to say... These sound better than I had anticipated.  I will write more about these in couple of days when I've given these more time but at this point it is allready safe to say that these are extremely good headphones. I can now understand why these are so hyped here...

I agree and Bass is fine. Don't know why people say these are bass shy, not even. Can't wait for the review!

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #815 of 1,082
i did have one observation: the fit seemed ok (no need to bend the frame or modify the strap), but i think they could do with some thicker ear pads, at some point...

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #816 of 1,082
Yeah, bass is definately there. Actually think most open headphones have less bass than pioneers. I would also love deeper pads. It feels like wearing on ear headphones. Beyer velours are too small, sony mdr-sa5000 pads can be fitted but those are too shallow also. Jvc ha-dx1000 pads fit but those are too deep. Sound was bit muffled with jvc pads. Soundstage increased dramatically though. Maybe my ears just need to get used to wearing these. I doubt that sound quality would increase much with deeper pads...propably the opposite.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #817 of 1,082
I don't think I'd change anything on them they sound good from the 30-45 seconds I've listened. I'll listen to them tomorrow for a longer time. Truly amazing for the price. :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #818 of 1,082
So what's more comfortable, SE-a1000 or takstar 2050s? Considering buying one or the other, sounds like they are pretty similar sound profile and sound quality. And what about against the CAL, which I hear recommended a lot under $100.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #819 of 1,082
For small and average size heads Takstar and CAL! are better. Takstars have slightly larger pads then CAL! but also cal are completely circumaural for me. Pioneers have padding on top of the drivers that pushes against the ears. However it is more suitable for large heads and ears because of the big pad opening and a headband so big it will fit anyone.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #821 of 1,082
Quote:

How is the overall sound of these. (Bass mostly.)

Pioneer SE-A1000

Something close to this graph. Their highs are a little bit more tricky to my ears, but still pretty smooth. They provide good mid bass, and sub bass is lacking (open headphones). Their mids are quite neutral but a bit 'veiled'. This headphones are forgiving of poorly recorded material, and sound good with most genres, except those that need strong sub-bass.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #822 of 1,082
How is the overall sound of these. (Bass mostly.)

I just ordered these and put them on right out of the box and watched the deadmaus concert on netflix and bass was fine. I was using my turtle beach dss connected to my ps3 and i didnt even need the bass boost on. Oh and I should mention my other headphones are xb700's so I have a prett good set for comparison on bass. Anyways the pioneers sound way better than those verything is so clear!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back