Pioneer HDJ-2000MK2 new Pro-DJ headphones
May 30, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #32 of 35
  They sit very tight on the head with more pressure on the ears. Not as comfortable as the HDJ-2000. Soundwise, they sound much flatter than their predecessor and have a less transparent sound. Maybe they still need to "burn-in", but in my opinion, they sound worse. I must admit that I use the HDJ-2000 mainly for production in the studio and not for DJ use.

The mk1 have a moderately large bass hump. Does the mk2 flatten this region out? I'm trying to qualify what you mean by "flatter", as in frequency response or liveliness of the sound?

Is the isolation improved?

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #33 of 35
On the MK2 it's much harder to hear all the details, namingly the mids. Some sounds almost disappear - as if you turn the treble knob to the left. The bass seems to be slightly sharper and punchier, the highs are pretty much the same. The HDJ-2000 is definitely clearer/more transparent/less muddy than the MK2. I'm tempted to say the MK2 sounds worse, mainly because the mids sound really weak (imo). Perhaps this doesn't matter for DJing. Sound isolation however is better on the MK2, but not really overwhelming. It won't give you the wow! experience you might expect. Last but not least I have to say that the MK2 is noticably louder when plugged into the same device at the same level.

A major let down is the pain. They're hurting my ears a lot after 30 minutes, same goes for my head. You would assume it is more comfortable, but they cause me to have headache after a while. The old ones are far more comfortable.

If you mean the space between the earcup and the part where the L and R are engraved on the HDJ-2000, then the MK2 has a little more space there.

I tested both headphones side by side with the Reachy Prints album from Plaid using the RME HDSPe AIO.

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #34 of 35
how's the comfort on these phones? looks at pics, the "chamber" inside the pads seems shallow. thanks

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #35 of 35
I was a heavy user of both models and I sincerely admit the MK1 sound a lot better. They have very pleasant warm sound,. I would say unique, it doesn't hurt one's ears and provides excellent soft detailed bass. The MK2 have very undetailed punchy painful bass, a lot narrower soundstage and stereopanorama, dramatic lack of detail in all frequencies. Moreover, they've got very smarting streble. I strongly recommend MK1, because they are really magnificent phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back