pioneer dvdp why so good?
Aug 14, 2003 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

rally617

Head-Fier
I was wondering what makes the cheap Pioneer dvdp's such a good cdp?

Is it the dacs?

I'm asking because I have the lowest model I think they make (dv-250) and was wondering if I would benifit by adding an outboard dac or would it be worth it with this model?

Aug 14, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 25
Pioneers are supposed to have good transport section, which means it may be ideal for adding a better quality outboard DAC.

Aug 14, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by rally617
I was wondering what makes the cheap Pioneer dvdp's such a good cdp?

Is it the dacs?

I'm asking because I have the lowest model I think they make (dv-250) and was wondering if I would benifit by adding an outboard dac or would it be worth it with this model?

The new DV-563A Universal player is starting to make a buzz. Most people that have bought it seem to like the Audio quality.

But; then again; a lot of people may not buy or like it because of the dreaded "Switchmode" Power Supply and it's very low price.

But; in my opinion, it's your own ears that can only really determine that.

Aug 14, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 25
I have a DV-350. On its own, its just about acceptable, but certainly nothing to write home about. Add in a decent DAC however, the story is somewhat decent. Stick a decent power cable on it as well, and it gets even better....

Aug 17, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
I have a DV-350. On its own, its just about acceptable, but certainly nothing to write home about. Add in a decent DAC however, the story is somewhat decent. Stick a decent power cable on it as well, and it gets even better....

I know very little about power cables. How will this affect the performance/sound of the unit?

Also, concerning the the dac. I would like to know if anyone has any recomendations for any under $500 catagory. I saw an Ack! that looks tempting but would like further recomendations from more experienced listeners.

Thanks for your input
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 25
Pioneer has a long history of making optical video players. They were the primary manufacturer of Laserdisc players and hopped on the DVD bandwagon early in the game. In short, they know what they’re doing and this know-how trickles down to the low-end.

In the entry-level, the brands to get for solid DVD playback are Pioneer, Panasonic, and Toshiba. They offer better video performance for the dollar compared to the others in the same space (like Sony).

Aug 17, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 25
I've had any number of Pioneer digital components, including one of the old LD players that I also used as a primary CD player for years.

The transport sections are a good value, as has been stated previously. I'd like to chime in about their reliability as well. I've logged a LOT of hours on mine, and aside from an occasional cleaning, they have never required any repair. <<knock wood>>
biggrin.gif

But don't just take my word...Wadia uses the Pioneer stable platter technology in their 301 player. At approximately $3,600, it's certainly not cheap. It is, however, a great value...they have the best digital technology that I have heard.

Wadia could have chosen just about any manufacturer to use as the transport for their excellent digital technology. That they chose a Pioneer transport speaks volumes about Pioneer. It certainly doesn't make me feel any worse about my choice of Pioneer over the years.

Aug 17, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for the great info. I've heard that the wadia was one of the best players out there but I didn't know it used a Pioneer transport. I am thinking of adding a good dac to it to see if I can get a better sound from it. Any suggestions?

Aug 17, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Thanks for the great info. I've heard that the wadia was one of the best players out there but I didn't know it used a Pioneer transport. I am thinking of adding a good dac to it to see if I can get a better sound from it. Any suggestions?

I should probably clarify - the entry level Wadia 301 uses the Pioneer Stable Platter transport. The up market Wadia players and transports use something different (and a LOT more costly). Other than that clarification, what I said before still applies.

Aug 17, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 25
I am really loving my new Pioneer DV-563A.

Once I realized I could correct the component banding problem I was having via my Television's service menu (thanks to a fellow online AVer), the picture is fantastic...even on my interlaced Sony Wega. it is crisp and almost 3D with no noticible artifacts. Even sweeter after an Avia adjustment session. Redbook CD playback is great as well as CD-R and DVD-A and SACD are very exciting.

The transposrt is smooth and silent. No hot discs so far. It's slimline profile takes up about 1/2 the space the 963 did.

The remote is more responsive than the Philips one was.

I also find the onscreen menus much easier to use and more intuitive then the ones on the Philips 963SA...all it's missing is the Philips upsampling which I was very fond of...but I love it otherwise...especially the additional analog outputs I can dedicate to headphone listening.

So, for $179...this Pioneer multiplayer is my new fave toy.

John

Aug 17, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 25
Just to reiterate what elrod-tom stated: Pioneer's Stable-Platform technology is one of the best to be found in a transport. It was found in many of their CD-R models a few years back (the "classic" PDR-5 comes immediately to mind). However, this is a far cry from the cheapo (by comparison, anyway) transport mechanisms found in their current, low-end models. It doesn't look like any standard player mechanism commonly seen.

So while the DV-563A may be an interesting player for the price and feature-set. But it is definitely not in the same league, as far a pure transport, as those older models with the Stable-Platform mechanism.

Aug 17, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 25
jpelg makes an excellent point. I'm speaking for the transport mechanisms in general. The specific transport used in the Wadia 301 is similar to that used in some of the higher end Pioneer and Elite models (the PD-65 comes to mind).

Aug 18, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 25
Thanks for the info guys! Since I have joined here at head-fi I have upgraded my phones(grado) and now find that my current rig while adaquate for what it is, I want to get much better sound.
I was hoping to be able to get by with simply a dac upgrade on my source but I'm thinking now of just dedicating this player to dvd play and get a better transport/dac setup maybe an older Pioneer as the ones mentioned by jpelg and elrod-tom or something else in a respectable price range.
I wonder how hard it is to find players of that era due to their desirability and what they generaly sell for? I guess I'll be doing some homework... can anyone tell me what year(s) these good transports were made?Thank for your responses!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

I know very little about power cables. How will this affect the performance/sound of the unit?

It lifts the performance very significantly, adding a lot of bass performance and detail into the fray. Definetly worth getting IMO.

Aug 18, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
But don't just take my word...Wadia uses the Pioneer stable platter technology in their 301 player. At approximately $3,600, it's certainly not cheap. It is, however, a great value...they have the best digital technology that I have heard.

Bel Canto's new 8k$ universal pLayer also uses Pioneer transport. ( tweaked to their liking, however )

I haven't played around at home, but my innitial impression was pretty good on all four formats. ( including mp3 disc I had on hand.
eek.gif
)

• Bel Canto Universal Player

Users who are viewing this thread

Back