Pin broke off in TF10 socket...what to do
Mar 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Audio-Phile

100+ Head-Fier
The absolute worst-case scenario that's always replayed in my head but never come close to happening, now has happened with no rational explanation as to how.  As I posted in my cables thread, I must have somehow bent the driver as it sat on the loose left side pins on the cable, and when attempting to remove the driver from the pins, one broke off and is now stuck inside the unit.  Apart from a reshelling (which I don't really have the time or patience for right now), what are my options?  There is a slight bit sticking out but I can't seem to grab it.  Any ideas?  I'm going to be sick over this.  

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 26
if there is a little bit sticking out get a toothpick, or straighten out a paperclip and put a very very small drop of superglue on the end of the paperclip.  gently touch the small portion of the pin sticking out with the "glued" paperclip and stick it to the pin.  Hold it there and let the glue set up and fuse the paperclip to the stuck pin.  Once the glue sets up hard you should be able to pull the pin out with the paperclip that it's glued to.  Just MAKE SURE you are careful and don't get the glue anywhere but on the paperclip and pin.  I would hold the unit/pin down and affix the paperclip from the bottom so If the glue runs it runs down the paperclip and not into the unit.

That's the best I can come up with.  I do this a lot with stripped Allen head screws.  I superglue the Allen wrench (or torx wrench) into the stripped screws, let it set up, and remove.  Works every time....in that case anyway.  I think it should work for you though.  That's the first thing I would do if I couldn't get the pin with tweezers or small pliers. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 26
That's a great idea, can't believe I didn't think of it.  Thanks so much.  I'll make a run to the store to see if I can get this done.  Thanks again!  Hopefully it works.  Luckily the pins were very loose-fitting on that side anyway, hopefully that works to my advantage here.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 26
Well at this point, selling them in this condition, I doubt I'd get enough to buy anything that would be a worthy successor, and I just bought this cable as well.  So I don't think I'll be selling them, although might consider a re-shell down the road.

NK, I will definitely keep you updated.  Thanks again for the tip, that's why I love this place haha.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 26
How about remolding them to Customs?

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
How about remolding them to Customs?

He mentioned he didn't have the time or patience - although if the alternative is not to use them at all (they stay broken) - that may change. Good luck - I hope you get them fixed. They are one of my favorite headphones.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
He mentioned he didn't have the time or patience - although if the alternative is not to use them at all (they stay broken) - that may change. Good luck - I hope you get them fixed. They are one of my favorite headphones.

And, as of recent other events, the resources either.  Me too..I really don't want to lose these for the long term.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 26
Thats scary I just bought some tf10 and want to get a afrermarket cable but scared this might happen if I remove and install toomany times....

Id say the paperclip with glue might work but really depends on how stuck the pin is.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 26
Tried that, didn't work.  Coudln't get a grip on them.  Although they were crappy tweezers....

The only other option I've thought of in this situation is take the earpiece to a jewelers and see what they say. They have a great assortment of tools and may possibly know some little tricks. Try the glue method first though.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
Thats scary I just bought some tf10 and want to get a afrermarket cable but scared this might happen if I remove and install toomany times....

Id say the paperclip with glue might work but really depends on how stuck the pin is.

Yeah this being the third cable I've used, its always been in the back of my head.  Since (obviously) the stock one and the Fiio supported the recessed socket design of the TFs, there wasn't too much to worry about.  But with the fact that this cable just kind of butts up against the socket facia, there is a slight risk.  Although they are pretty strong, I still have no idea how it happened.  And that's almost worse than the fact that it did.  With normal use, you should be ok.  Just make sure not to sit on them....
Quote:
The only other option I've thought of in this situation is take the earpiece to a jewelers and see what they say. They have a great assortment of tools and may possibly know some little tricks. Try the glue method first though.

Yeah if the glue-paperclip idea doesn't work I might do that too.  I'm sure they have lots of specialized tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back