Pimeta/Tread build questions and worklog
Oct 5, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Desoldering Pump . It uses a short burst of vacuum to suck the solder away from the joint. I couldnt' live without it. Not cheap, but it's saved more money than it cost for sure. See Tangent's DIY guide for more examples of desoldering pumps.

N

Thanks! I tried the vacuum pump at Radio Shack but didn't like it. It didn't suck up the solder well. I hope this one gives me better experiences!

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #47 of 61
So, I finally got this whole thing together, working, and sounding good!

The second Tread went together smoothly (and correctly, quadruple checking along the way). I was getting around 26V in and was able to adjust output to exactly 24V with the vset. I was relieved, to say the least.

All the testing went fine, no strange voltage readings on the opamp/buffer pin sockets. I used test leads to connect wires to plugs to give it a listen, which had a little hum, before I started the casework.

Casing went smoothy, too. Probably because I was taking everything slow. I still managed to get the toggle switch a little crooked. I tested again before putting on the lid, and was still getting some hum. The hum would go away when I touched the back plate of the case and any other part of the case together. Had me stumped for a little while, until I realized I was still using the plactic push pins to hold the rear panel on. I dropped once screw in, and the hum disappeared. All in all, I am very pleased with my first hammond casing job.

Pics are in the 'Post your Builds' thread, here :
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=747

I just wanted to again thank all those that helped me out through all the problems/errors I had. Thanks Nate, Teerawit, kin0kin, rreynold, sbelyo, and Tangent. You guys are fantastic!

Now, to sit back for some much deserved 'Listening Time'.

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #48 of 61
Very nice!!

I like the big blue LED
cool.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Great work, darkisz. Which hammond case is that?

Thanks, all. I'm glad ya like.

It's 1455N1601BK, Hammond Instrument Enclosures - 6.3 x 4.06 x 2.09, Aluminum panels. I used a 1/2" stepped drill bit on a cordless drill for 90% of the work, and a Dremel with grinder to open up the 1/2" hole a bit more for the chunky led.

I'm still amazed something I built sounds this good. I'm quite pleased with the AD823/843 chips. They seem to agree with whichever can I feel like listening to. Of course, I'd still like to hear the 8610, Maybe for my next amp....

Next amp?!?!? ARGH! Curse you Head-fi DIY!
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
It wasn't a waste because I'm sure a lot of people will use this thread as a learning experience.

Exactly! I just noticed your post in the build thread, and had no idea that the Tread and the Pimeta could be used together! Very, very cool, and I am excited to start looking into this as the Pimeta was going to be my next build. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz
Exactly! I just noticed your post in the build thread, and had no idea that the Tread and the Pimeta could be used together! Very, very cool, and I am excited to start looking into this as the Pimeta was going to be my next build. Thanks!

What exactly are the benefits to using a TREAD with the Pimeta?

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

What exactly are the benefits to using a TREAD with the Pimeta?

Lower noise floor, cleaner/better bass, better dynamics.

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Lower noise floor, cleaner/better bass, better dynamics.

Thanks, Teerawit. Is it a last 5% kind of thing, or more noticeable than that?

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Thanks, Teerawit. Is it a last 5% kind of thing, or more noticeable than that?

It also depends on the quality of your mains power...

I'd say it's pretty noticeable.

Nov 1, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

So if I plug the Tread/Pimeta into my Shunyata Hydra-8.... (Well, OK, outside of overkill, I suppose I could knock mains quality off the list!)

Well, that's it. I'm in. Gonna have to continue reading up on this. I'm pretty excited about it.
icon10.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Depends more on the batteries. If you're using alkaline batteries, their internal impedance is probably limiting the current draw. Rechargables are usually better, tho' there's apparently big differences from model to model.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by prof.anderson
Depends more on the batteries. If you're using alkaline batteries, their internal impedance is probably limiting the current draw. Rechargables are usually better, tho' there's apparently big differences from model to model.

i think your a bit mistaken, using a tread with batteries would be pointless, as batties will have less noise then just about any other type of power supply imaginable.

as per tangents power supply test, one of the main reasons for using a tread is its .07 mVrms noise floor compared to an elpac's 1.8mVrms noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back