PIMETA + s11
Mar 5, 2009 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Iniamyen

100+ Head-Fier
Since I've slowed down on the B24 due to house-buying, I'm in need of a cheaper project and I thought of taking my power-hungry PIMETA that I still love and essentially re-enclosing it in a different case and adding a power supply (it's battery powered.) My best efforts as to the general "scheme" are attached.

The biggest thing for me is going to be the heatsinking. Would it be better to tie the MOSFETs directly to an aluminum case and use the case as the heatsink? The reason being, I want the case to be as short as possible. And since the PIMETA doesn't use that much power, I figured the MOSFETs wouldn't need to dissipate that much additional heat beyond the quiescent amount.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 10
Sigma11 is OVERKILL for a Pimeta, I don't think you'd notice that much of a difference between it and something like a TREAD in that amp. Why not go with a PPA or M^3?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Oh yes I know it's overkill, but I figure the s11 isn't that expensive to begin with, and I crave overkill. Besides, I am really in love with my PIMETA and AD8610, it has a very unique sound.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 10
With Pimeta as a load, σ11's MOSFETs with onboard heatsinks will get barely warm (unless you use a transformer that has way too much voltage). Pimeta's current draw, even in its "maxed" state, is miniscule compared to what σ11 is capable of supplying.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gross overkill with a purpose, not gross overkill for the sake of gross overkill.

I agree with you in principle. Is there another PSU with comparable performance numbers to the s11 that's cheaper to build? I'm all ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say put the S11 in its own case, with heatsinks on the mosfets. That way, it will be ready to power an M^3 if you should choose to build oen in the future

I want to do this with a wall-wart transformer, in which case that would mean a 3-piece PIMETA. I'm thinking as long as the s11+case is kept cheap enough, I want to just put it all in one small case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back