Pie-in-the-sky, if you could have anything, product suggestion thread.
Jun 20, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 144
A standalone full on source switch. Yes, I know, it's been asked for before, and you've made something like it before, but imagine the power of having your device at the center of many headphone rigs. Add a few goodies like one attenuated input for matching source levels across multiple formats, a mono switch, and crossfeed, and you've got the headphone rig swiss army knife on your hands. Sell the thing for $300 or less and see where it goes. I understand it's a marketing thing to only offer multiple inputs on higher end amps, so the more advanced audiophiles have a solid incentive to invest in the better electronics inside... but someone needs to step up. I've personally got a Quintete at the center of my rig but those are long out of production, and it still doesn't have some features that I'd like.

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A standalone full on source switch.

Biy, I'm so glad you said that. It goes on and off our radar, but just reading your comments made it sink in in a new way. Thanks.

$300 bucks though, that would be tough. Just the enclosure and a circuitboard put it at that. Add a bunck of Alps pot and Cardas RCA's and the thing is more like $499 - $549 pretty easy I'd bet. If you ran power to it you could do nice push buttons on the front and relay switching and have a 627 buffer you could switch in and out; you could also add an optional internal DAC, too. You end up with a box pushing $999 damn quick. See, I know how to dream, too.

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 144
1. high-end DAP on par with external DACs but with acceptable battery life

2. a headphone amp that also doubles as a medium-power speaker amp (30W)

i think these will be successful because i know some people who would definately buy it. you'll have at least 2 customers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #19 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see a more Grado-centric amp. That is, something for the low-impedance camp (Grado, Audio-Technica, Ultrasone, etc.) that don't require so much voltage as current. More & more headphones being made these days are much lower in impedance than Sennheiser HDxxx's, or the older classic 600-ohm AKG's.

Agreed, this is a niche which definitely needs to be exploited, at least on the tube side. It seems like everyone who makes a tube amps ends up building an OTL design of some sort which is great for Sennheisers and other high impedance headphones, but ends up falling short when asked to drive Grados. As far as I know there's maybe one tube amp in existence (the Moon Audio Luna) which can be considered as a high-end amp for Grados and other low impedance 'phones. The Grado amp market is practically empty compared to the oceans of choices available of Sennheisers.

Personally I'd go after the market at two price levels; something relatively affordable and the all out cost no object solution. At the value oriented end of the spectrum, I'd consider a single-stage amp based on the 6C45Pi, something along the lines of the Espressivo minus the costly multi-tapped autoformer. Since it's only for low impedance headphones, an autoformer with a single 40 or 50 Ohm tap can be used instead, with the multi-tapped autoformer becoming an upgrade option for those who need it. Also, instead of the hybrid tube CCS, a simpler solidstate version can be used which also simplifies power supply design.

At the high end of the scale, I'd like to see an all DHT amp for Grados. Using current production tubes, an amp can be built using the Emission Labs 20B as the input and a 2A3 or possibly 300B as the output. Use LC coupling to provide a low DC resistance path to ground since power triodes can draw grid current before the grid gets anywhere near 0V wrt the cathode. The low DCR path to ground drains away the current before it can build a charge on the capacitor and screw up the signal, and it also allows the amp to recover a lot faster & cleaner from momentary overloads. For the same reason, I'd also use a transformer or autoformer volume control on the front end. CCS plate loads on all the tubes, LED bias on the 20B, and a parafeed output for the 2A3 with a nice cobalt transfomer, I think that about covers my wish list.

The value-oriented version should be quite popular. Other than the MAD Ear+ there's practically nothing being marketed towards Grados. The Moon Audio Luna is practically unknown so the field is pretty much wide open & waiting to be filled. I'm betting there's a lot of people out there with Grados & other low impedance headphones who'd love to have a well-performing tube amp.

The all-out version is admittedly a pipedream, it would easily cost more than the Balanced Max with all the options. It would require a 2-chassis design and with all the iron inside it would be really big & heavy. I frankly wouldn't be surprised if you could count the yearly unit sales on one hand.

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 144
When you design/redesign your next higher end home amp, and you realize it would also make a good speaker pre-amp, please please please make sure at least remote volume control is an option. I can understand the lack of a remote on pure headphone amps. The hardware requirements for headphone listening are much smaller than for speakers and its easier to keep the amp near your favorite listening spot. With a speaker system, its rare that the pre-amp is within arms reach. (let me exclude near-field systems like those you are planning) I'd much rather hear that remote volume is an available option (even at $500-750) than not available at all.

Bazile

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you design/redesign your next higher end home amp, and you realize it would also make a good speaker pre-amp, please please please make sure at least remote volume control is an option. I can understand the lack of a remote on pure headphone amps. The hardware requirements for headphone listening are much smaller than for speakers and its easier to keep the amp near your favorite listening spot. With a speaker system, its rare that the pre-amp is within arms reach. (let me exclude near-field systems like those you are planning) I'd much rather hear that remote volume is an available option (even at $500-750) than not available at all.

Bazile

I hear ya!!

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #22 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Biy, I'm so glad you said that. It goes on and off our radar, but just reading your comments made it sink in in a new way. Thanks.

$300 bucks though, that would be tough. Just the enclosure and a circuitboard put it at that. Add a bunck of Alps pot and Cardas RCA's and the thing is more like $499 - $549 pretty easy I'd bet. If you ran power to it you could do nice push buttons on the front and relay switching and have a 627 buffer you could switch in and out; you could also add an optional internal DAC, too. You end up with a box pushing $999 damn quick. See, I know how to dream, too.

Ok take my pricing suggestions at the word of someone who knows what none of this costs.... My selector switch is two simple rotary types in some kind of stock enclosure, nothing fancy. I think they ran around $100 when Fid built them.

But yeah we kind of have a hole in the functionality of many of our systems that get filled by all kinds of weird devices. In traditional audio it's a preamp that does all the switching work, or in an integrated of course the "pre" functionality is built in to varying degrees. With headphone amps it's amazing how few designs really have multiple input and output options, and even then they're sometimes not very functional (umm, I'm looking at you Headroom, with your back panel switches....
wink.gif
) Why as headphone people must we be limited in our options without going to something either very expensive or very cheap. It's time for a functional central station to control all the things we love, and give us a few little toys that no-one else has done yet (like the attenuated input, possibly an optional feature but one that I think would be very cool, providing that it doesn't degrade the sound.)

And I just named the product line. Headroom Station, Headroom Central Station, And Headroom Grand Central Station. I'll take one of each for the effort.

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #23 of 144
a dedicated power supply specific for the Micro line that would supply both the amp and DAC and would be better than the wall bricks. something in the same stackable footprint even if it had to be as high as two units stacked together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
solar powered charger

a solar powered charger for the Micro Portable Amp and an iPod. for camping and when we are off the grid so we are able to keep on jamming! q:O)>

plus it would be nice to have a Green product so to speak. kinda, sorta self-sustaining. you could load your iPod once and be off the grid for months at a time on some adventure and still be able to charge you amp and iPod. natural disaster could strike and your power is out for a week but your still able to charge your amp and iPod(maybe even a cellphone). or just to take the load off our ever growing needs for electricity.

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 144
second or thirding or whatever number we are on for the Grado/LE-centric amplifier. although, i know how y'all at HeadRoom feel about Grado cans, so that's sort of a shot in the dark. are there any plans for a fully-discrete solid state amplifier in the future? iirc the opa627 is still used in the max's circuitry. it's an excellent opamp, but some people prefer fully discrete. i'm not too picky, but hey, some are, just throwin' it out there.

also:

a Tyll Hertsens plush doll. no joke.

seriously, that would be awesome. he could come with a detachable ukulele and hd650s. i'd buy one.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #25 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

seriously, that would be awesome. he could come with a detachable ukulele and hd650s. i'd buy one.

OMG, what an awesome suggestion.

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #27 of 144
Jimmy has great ideas! Melos-like amp for Grados. These amps are indeed the bees-knees for Grado junkies and save for the Ear HP4, are usually touted as the bestest available (when modded out the wazoo).

I really like the idea of a truly high-end DAP. True digital output, awesome analogue output, FLAC/ALAC/WMA/WAV playback among others, what would be great is if this could be used as is or with a nice high-end smallish DAC.

With iPods selling at $400ish when first released...something in the 600-700 range or even 800 wouldn't be outlandish for us folks considering that this would be from a smaller manufacturer and aimed at high-end. Better DAC, digi out...mmm mmm.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #28 of 144
Maybe you do not need a whole new design for Grado cans. Instead you could partner w/ someone who already is building a good amp and tweak for a better sound. I am thinking something like Dr. Lloyd and the Ear + Purist HD.

HR has done something similar with the Millet so this would not be a new ground.

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x4! I'd take one, and how about a variety of garish shirts? I'm sure he'd be quite comfy seated on a nice CDP or DAC.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #30 of 144
A cheap home amp. Meaning--something less than $200 that would completely blow any of the portable amps in the same price range away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back