Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
Jun 18, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #751 of 1,377
DSC_4361.JPG

grado sr-60 and cowon d2 4gb

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #752 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i totally disagree with everything you say until you get to your last line, the background verses paying attention.

When i'm working I listen to ipod and phones without the amp. But again, i'm not really paying attention to the music so the little things like vastly improved dynamic range and substantially better crosstalk isn't something i'm enjoying. Its portability at that point, and keeping the volume low enough to hear things around me, which is more important to me at that time than quality of sound.

BUT, there is a night and day difference in the sound when I add the amplifier to my rig and my livewires are pretty far from the 'hard to drive' side of life.

My rig is 5.5gen ipod, LOD, XIN, livewires: hardly high end audio components and when you say that my amp is only pushing that last 1% of performance from my ipod you are misleading, unsubstantiated and simply wrong.

I think you guys totally missed monolith's point. He meant amping headphone out signals. There would be little point in that besides volume control. He had a whole diatribe about it.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #753 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why on earth would you go through the trouble of lugging around that amp on top of the already large PSP just for PX100s?

Sometimes I get the impression that people want a player>amp>headphone rig more than they want a rig that sounds good.

... wow.. lol, if you know anything the psp can barely power iems let alone px100s, an amp is a must for the psp because it was meant to be low so you don't bother people playing games through the internal speakers in public.

Even tho the PA2v2 is a dark amp, it actually makes my rig brighter and more rich. And if you had read one of my previous posts you would have seen that I have huge pockets and it works for me.

You shouldn't be so quick to judge when you know next to nothing of the situation :p

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #756 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You shouldn't be so quick to judge when you know next to nothing of the situation :p

I might say the same to you. I used a PSP as my portable source for over a year, and I still have it (though I've upgraded to an mp3 player smaller than a station wagon now). I have in fact tried (albeit briefly) the exact combination you have. My point stands.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

In any case, do you what you want to do. I sometimes forget that sound quality isn't always the goal of portable rigs here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you guys totally missed monolith's point. He meant amping headphone out signals. There would be little point in that besides volume control. He had a whole diatribe about it.

That was part of my point, but it extends to amped line outs as well depending on the headphones. I find with my current portable combination (nano > supermini > ER-4P/UM2), that the difference is small enough to not care about unless I'm sitting in one place or paying attention for a long time, and those times don't justify keeping the amp. *Maybe* if I had UE customs or something.

Anyway, I don't want to mess with what people think they need, so I'll shut up.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #758 of 1,377
DSC_0318.jpg

headphones vary from UE metro.fi 2's to my beyers, depending on if i have any sort of bag with me (backpack type dealio) or not (pockets!)

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #759 of 1,377
Yeah, i saw the contents of the photo easy...Must make me a mega headphone geek
tongue.gif

When i tested an amp, the SM3, i used a bad laptop hp/o and heard a tiney difference between lossy and lossless, and amped and ampless.

I used the dongle on the zen, and sucked audio out of it, so like an LOD, but it was very noisy, and wasnt great. I liked showing off the rig on here though
tongue.gif

I should try an amp again now i have a DAC with an internal amp for its little headphone jack, and rca in and outs, and optical. Then try my lossy vs lossless, and amped vs unamped, amped lossy vs amped lossless etc.

EDIT: Just saw the refreshed page. Man i love those iBasso mini to mini's.

Matt

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #763 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[MG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/bassmahn/A808018.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/bassmahn/A808020.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/bassmahn/A808023.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/bassmahn/A808022.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/bassmahn/A808021.jpg[/IMG]

Very nice rig.

P.s. Did you deliberately rub of the ET on the front of the amp or is it just pure coincidence
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #765 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice rig.

P.s. Did you deliberately rub of the ET on the front of the amp or is it just pure coincidence
wink.gif

Thanks! The T" marks fades off so decided to rub the E so that it will not look awkward.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back