Pictures of your portable rig- Part VI
Oct 1, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #46 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Those look great! I'll bet they sound every bit as good as they look too!

So of the CryoDock and the CottonDock, which do you prefer? I mean sonically.

Actually the best improvement in audio quality I have yet to hear is with the black poly straps, far superior to the green.
biggrin.gif
(sorry its still early enough for me to find that funny).

I think the cotton and cryo sound very similar- I guess the best way to describe the difference is that the cotton feels a little more full and the cryo a bit thinner. I said in another thread that I think the trade off in size between the two, is much more important than the differences in sound quality. The mini jacks on the cotton are pretty large which adds considerable bulk- the cryo is just... tiny. I may eventually get a jumbo just because size doesnt matter on the transportable, but I wouldnt have anything else than the cryo on my portable. This setup is so light, I am sure it doesnt weigh more than a few ounces.

So basically the cotton sounds better, but with a pretty consderable size and weight trade off.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #47 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Wow you got your shuffle quick! I ordered mine the first day Mac announced 'em, and they said it'd be in Oct. I did get my 80Gb. quick though. Or is that just a remote?

It is just a remote!
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #50 of 866
Here's my little setup, currently checking out the new OMX90's by sennheiser...
attachment.php

Here's some of my other favorite headphones for "on the road" listening...
attachment.php

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #52 of 866
Westone ES2>Etymotic P-to-S Adapter>Larocco PR II>RnB Black Diamond braided>imodded 40 gb Ipod
A lot more portable than you would think in a Headroom Gigabag with holes cut in the top for the volume and variable bass boost of the PR II. The belt clip makes it real easy to carry around. Sorry for the lousy pictures.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #54 of 866
Thanks. Have to use an amp with an imodded Ipod. Although, I have used the ES2's from the headphone out of a Sony NW-HD5H, with the Ety P-to-S adapter. It gets rid of the same hiss that's there with UM2's, and sounds fine. I wouldn't say it's pointless using them ampless, but I believe they reach their full potential with a good amp. The Hornet is supposed to have good synergy with the ES2's also, but I like the op-amp rolling and variable bass boost with the PR II.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #56 of 866
Mr Do said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
Actually the best improvement in audio quality I have yet to hear is with the black poly straps, far superior to the green.
biggrin.gif
(sorry its still early enough for me to find that funny)./QUOTE]

Where can I get some of those sweet sounding poly straps? They look way better than my rubberbands.

Thanks.
Do!

Walmart/ Target etc- they sell them in the little girls trinket section. They have all the latest trendy pre- teen sayings imprinted on them such as "kewl gurl," "hot stuff," "princess of punk" etc. However, there is no writing on the inside, which is a little more to my taste.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #57 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
Thanks. Have to use an amp with an imodded Ipod. Although, I have used the ES2's from the headphone out of a Sony NW-HD5H, with the Ety P-to-S adapter. It gets rid of the same hiss that's there with UM2's, and sounds fine. I wouldn't say it's pointless using them ampless, but I believe they reach their full potential with a good amp. The Hornet is supposed to have good synergy with the ES2's also, but I like the op-amp rolling and variable bass boost with the PR II.

Oh I forgot about that hiss! It wasn't so much a problem for me though. I really like the colour you have, I almost put an order for the same colour but with the black cable instead. I think Im sold on the ES2's now (looks at wallet).

Oct 3, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #58 of 866
My 'portable' rig... Ipod Nano 2G (Green, encoded with Apple Lossless) > ALO Cryodock > mSEED LABS Faith AMP (750mW power, digital gain control) > Westone UM1 IEM. The new nano has a very long battery life > 20 hours, so does my amp which may also be powered from the wall. The UM1 sounds stunning in this setup! Velcro straps from Lowes and sponge from Target...
tongue.gif

gallery7.jpg

Oct 3, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #59 of 866
My rigs:
2nd Gen 4GB Nano and Sennheiser CX-300's- Gym, Riding, and home/bedtime rig:

Sony D-15(with original old-school carry case!) and Beyerdynamic DT440-Bed time cd rig:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back