Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part IX]
Nov 6, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #241 of 1,051
Thought i better post to here as i bothered to shoot some pics yesterday to add to my photo account here, and havent posted my rig/s thus far!

FUN•PORTABLE•ATRAC/MP3
100_7426.JPG

Sony NW-HD5 20GB | Sony RM-MC40ELK Remote | Etymōtic MicroPro ER•4P

¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨ ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨

SERIOUS SESSION•NOT SO PORTABLE•FLAC-8/LOSSY
100_7460.JPG

iMod 60GB photo | ALO Cryo X Silver | XiN SuperMacro III v6b | Grado SR-325i

¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨ ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨°º©©º°¨¨¨¨¨¨

CRITICAL LISTENING•NOT POCKETABLE•FLAC-3
100_7450.JPG

iMod 5.5G 80GB | V-CAP OIMP Dock | XiN SuperMicro IV (04/11) | Etymōtic MicroPro ER•4S

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #242 of 1,051
excellent setups Quaddy
icon10.gif

The v-cap dock is mad looking i'm sure it sounds great. Im very tempted to get the alo portable v-cap package with the imod. Just need a bit more persuasion to spend the money on it. Does the difference in sound justify the cost.

I also like the look of the buttonless 325i's, might try that one later.

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #244 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excellent setups Quaddy
icon10.gif

The v-cap dock is mad looking i'm sure it sounds great. Im very tempted to get the alo portable v-cap package with the imod. Just need a bit more persuasion to spend the money on it. Does the difference in sound justify the cost.

ty.

it does sound good, but i notice get more soundstage out of my grados with it than with my etys!
confused.gif

consider this, "a bit more persuasion" - the v-cap rig from alo is nice, i am sure the bonefide v-cap pack is better than what i am listening too, so yes, would think it would be a nice upgrade all round.

v-caps need a lot of burn in, mine are at about circa 300hrs, just 200+ to go!
eek.gif

IMHO any little tweak or sound improvement is worth its weight in gold let alone money. but it depends of how agrieved an individual is with shelling out! i know you like your kit and you would love the refined sound of that ALO combined package
tongue.gif

re. grado debadging.

nightmare. you will have a very very very resilient and tough to work with glue based resinous epoxy left on the grill after removal,

i made the mistake of heating it, which made it all the more hard and it then was able to sink between the grill and cool off and was impossible to get rid of, i spent hours with a very fine, small flat head screwdriver, pushing and scraping in between every grill space, after the bulk of that was done...

i ended up masking the driver and using wire wool and white spirit to get the remainder off, that obviously stripped my grill in the process back to steel colour.
cool.gif

now a lot of people said, simply take out the grill and soak or what have you, trouble is i was planning on not undoing the casing at first, but then had to using the tapered spoon and sock/hairdryer technique, but still couldnt prize out the damn grills!

a word of warning, you may end up with a badge sized discoloration on your grill, where the paint may come off.
be prepared to strip your entire grill back to steel. alternatley if you can get the grill portion out initially, you can do it a lot easier than i did.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #245 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excellent setups Quaddy
icon10.gif

I was once in your position, bit the bullet, haven't looked back since. The iMod/P-vcap combo absolutely crushes my D2 amped with a SupermicroIV.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #246 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ty.

it does sound good, but i notice get more soundstage out of my grados with it than with my etys!
confused.gif

consider this, "a bit more persuasion" - the v-cap rig from alo is nice, i am sure the bonefide v-cap pack is better than what i am listening too, so yes, would think it would be a nice upgrade all round.

I new you would say this
tongue.gif

I think i have outgrown my stock ipod and C&C amp. They use to impress me me at the start but since the gilmore lite came along they seem to be missing that little something. This along with a decent amp, should be the best possible upgrade from these.

I know what you mean about the soundstage and iems, the livewires are great and i wounldn't change a thing about them, but they cant touch the grados when it comes to soundstage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
v-caps need a lot of burn in, mine are at about circa 300hrs, just 200+ to go!
eek.gif

I had read that they need about the 500hrs on them before they finally settle in. But any kind of v-cap dock is nearly impossible to find second hand. So a new one is probably the only answer, unless someone has one lyin about that they want to shift
icon10.gif

Thanks for the headsup on the button removal. Might have to rethink that one.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #247 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was once in your position, bit the bullet, haven't looked back since. The iMod/P-vcap combo absolutely crushes my D2 amped with a SupermicroIV.

Just the person i was looking for. I take it you very happy with the setup
icon10.gif

I am i right in thinking that you can use a std alo dock cable from the imod to the P v-cap, as i have the silk dock and would like to use it if possible and get the supplied cable changed to a mini - mini one.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #249 of 1,051
Quote:

Originally Posted by koike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah the old efn rig.
nice buy quaddy
smily_headphones1.gif

how does it sound?

the very one!

thanks koike.

its sounds lovely, as you would expect with the work EFN put into its initial creation and marriage of components.

all i have done to it is minor tweaks, added + - volume insignia, and xin and out (silly old me needs prompting) and added some ERS paper in and around the internals to negate any deleterious effects of EMI from my magnetic tape i added as a method of opening/closing the battery cover, rather than relying on friction alone, improved the firmness and grab on the contacts also.

its highly resolving as i use ETY mostly in S mode even with the caps, to give people an idea of how clinical it sounds, when i switch over to my SR-325's (which are thought of as detailed, non bassy anyway), they sound very bass laden and warm in comparison to ER4.
eek.gif

bass heads would simply and utterley hate my rigs sound!

its highlighted for the first time to me, that the equipment in that setup is no longer the bottleneck, its MEEEEEEE!!! i need an upgrade in my percieved listening frequency
blink.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #250 of 1,051
My protable rig:
unlocked iphone
modded ipod "u2 classic"
modded Ety ER-6i (on iphone cable... yea, i know it's crap but that's one less cable to carry around with me)
DIY Cmoy in a tin
ipod LOD solid silver wires
DSC03178.jpg

DSC03182.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #253 of 1,051
well, it does say U2 on it...

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #255 of 1,051
probably due to the time it takes to ENcode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back